Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for recommendations on temporary machine sheds

LCA078 · 2025-01-19 11:04

What are the current thoughts on temporary sheds to protect equipment from the elements? Due to property tax reasons, I can't build a permanent shed (or any structure) on our ranch until we make it our homestead but a 'temporary' one is acceptable so looking for ideas on what type of structure and materials are worthwhile today. I'm not a fan of temporary shelters but I know they have come a long way in the past few years. The difference between temporary and permanent (per the tax office) is a temporary structure does not have a slab, pilings, buried posts, etc. I'd like minimum 3,000 sqft and preferably 4,000 (or higher) of covered space with ability to park 12ft tall stuff inside nearer the side walls. Minimum of 10 years of life but prefer 15 or even 20 if possible in the brutal central Texas sun and heat. I have some ideas but really just want a structure to plug the gap until we get the kids out of the house and I can build my dream shop.

Replies22
  1. #1mowingman2025-01-19 11:46

    Stack shipping containers about 2 high, and as long as you want. Do this for both sides of your shed. Then add a temporary arched roof, using your choice of materials. I think you can even buy a roof kit that uses heavy canvas as a cover. I see these all over the place here in Texas. None of it is permanent or attached to the property. Construction sites often use these as temporary shops, and a lot of farmers use them to store bales of hay or machinery.

  2. #2LCA0782025-01-19 11:53

    Thanks mowingman (another central Texan). The shipping container version is at the top of my wish list. Probably won't go two high but I do wonder what folks think of the different materials for the cover. Lots to choose from...

  3. #3crane operator2025-01-19 12:52

    I prefer the white fabric for the arched roof over shipping containers. It makes it so that you are in the shade, out of the rain, but yet the white lets in a lot of light. Nice and bright inside. We've stacked shipping containers quite often for temp shelters. If I was doing it, I would spring for the shipping containers where they have put the doors in the sides of the containers. It costs a little more, but its much more useable storage. 40' containers are tough to move heavy items in and out of. With the side doors its much easier to put things in and out with a forklift, or skid loader with forks. You can lock up tools and welders etc, and the equipment sets in the big part of the shop.

  4. #4DDoug2025-01-19 13:06

    When you stack them, do you lock them with some twist locks ?

  5. #5crane operator2025-01-19 13:13

    We've had some people use lever locks, some customers just weld them together.

  6. #6cuttin edge2025-01-19 14:21

    The department of highways use the white arch span tents for salt and sand sheds. Some of them must be ten years old now. The company bought one still in the box at auction. I think it's 40 by 100. They use it to park the asphalt equipment in for the winter

  7. #7treemuncher2025-01-19 14:57

    I was looking at these kits the other day. I have 2 single trip 40ft high cubes that I plan to use for the base structure https://www.myteeproducts.com/farm-supplies/shipping-container-canopy.html

  8. #8Coaldust2025-01-19 18:58

    I see these on construction projects, mines, O&G projects, exploration, and reclamation projects. Modular Structures for Vehicle Storage & Maintenance Buildings Alaska Structures creates Custom Building Systems for any need, from large maintenance facilities to local transport authorities and schools. alaskastructures.com

  9. #9LCA0782025-01-20 12:20

    I completely agree on the side doors, especially for 40 ft'ers. Otherwise, it's a pretty much a tunnel to get to the back. I'd like 3200 sqft which is more/less two sets of 40ft containers with the fabric arch. I probably only go with one or two of the side-door 40ft'ers (or a couple 20ft'ers) to keep cost low, otherwise, it might not make sense on the fabric-container version. I need to start putting hard numbers on paper but first I need to nail down the cost of the fabric portion. Seems like there are really two major options: PE or PVC. PVC seems to be heavier and more durable but it's hard to find an installer locally that knows the details. Anyone have recommendations on the cover itself?

  10. #10DDoug2025-01-20 12:24

    For the "stacked 2 high" set-ups, do you make some stairs to access the end/side doors for the upper ones ?

  11. #11crane operator2025-01-20 19:17

    I've never put a conex with side doors in the upper set of 2 high. At the second level, they aren't nearly as nice of storage as the bottom one. We have set the second/ upper conex offset to the lower one, so they only share one wall. Then the upper one sets on one sidewall of the lower one, and on steel posts on the overhanging side. Making a "deck" out of the roof of the lower conex, and a 8' overhang on the other side. I think the side doors on the lower one, wouldn't even be bad as a workspace with the doors opened up, and a bench on the far wall.

  12. #12crane operator2025-01-20 19:31

    Clearspan out of Dyersville Ia is the company I'm familiar with. I think they also sell under the Farmtek name. ClearSpan Structures | Fabric, Metal & Hybrid Buildings ClearSpan is the industry-leading manufacturer of fabric and metal building solutions. With custom and turnkey buildings, ClearSpan provides versatile solutions. www.clearspan.com

  13. #13JBrady2025-01-23 11:48

    I see a lot of the canvas covers over shipping containers here in Oklahoma. Another idea instead of that type that would provide more longevity is to use chicken house trusses welded to the connexes. I have a chicken house truss 40x40 open on the gables that is very easy to work out of and cost very little. You would have a standard wood purlin and metal roof. Most of the trusses can be found for $250 a set or you can buy the used tin with it in 10' increments.

  14. #14LCA0782025-01-23 12:42

    I've seen chicken house trusses for sale but really haven't thought about them. Makes a lot of sense if I could get the used tin. I'm not looking for a waterproof shelter as much as I'm looking for minimizing rain and sun (for UV damage). Worst case I could shoot some RTV in the holes but again, it's a minimal issue for me. The biggest downside is I'd loose a lot of sunlight compared to the PVC covers. Hmmm... good idea though. Definitely on my mind

  15. #15DDoug2025-01-23 12:48

    Me thinks you would stray from the tax free "temporary" status....

  16. #16LCA0782025-01-23 14:56

    The local tax office was pretty clear that as long as nothing was "set" in the ground, there was no slab or other similar pad, and it could be readily disassembled and moved to be reassembled, the shelter is temporary. But I agree that a canvas cover that everyone knows will disintegrate over time is definitely "more" temporary in nature than the exact same structure covered in tin. Either way I go, I'll present it to the tax office and get a response in writing. Good input though.

  17. #17crane operator2025-01-23 17:23

    If its only 40' of truss, I would much rather have the conexes be on the outside of the roof, so as not to give up 16' of indoor space. Like this.

  18. #18LCA0782025-01-23 21:52

    I agree with Crane Operator. Having the containers under the cover reduces usable footprint by 40% so will keep them on the outside. It's possible that with chicken coop style trusses mentioned by JBrady, i can place the containers on the outside and raise up the roof and extend it to where the end of the roof now covers the container. Lots of possibilities with either a stretch PVC fabric arch or straight trusses with tin.

  19. #19Welder Dave2025-01-24 00:45

    There are foldable temporary buildings with hard walls but they are pricey. Wouldn't be surprised if CraneOp has set them. If you go with the fabric style make the end walls metal for better security especially if you use connex boxes for the sides. I think like everything else you get what you pay for. Look for heavier weight fabric with the longest warranty. Certain colors will last longer as well.

  20. #20LCA0782025-01-24 10:19

    I couldn't agree with you more on this statement which is why I'm looking for input. I see a lot of the canopy kits being sold at Ritchie Bros but I just can't believe they would last more than a few years or even one decent thunderstorm. As for security, that's not something I'm too worried about as anything of value will be locked up in the containers. I would love to enclose the back of a container shed but wonder if I'll regret it from needing to shuffle vehicles and equipment out of the way to get to the back for that one machine I need. It would be nice to keep the wind out as much as possible though.

  21. #21Welder Dave2025-01-24 20:24

    Someone like Coverall would be good bet. The TMG shelters or what ever they sell at RB is cheap junk from China. Some stuff from China is decent but I wouldn't trust the fabric to last very long and there is no warranty. I'd also question the gauge of steel the trusses are made from.

  22. #22CM19952025-01-24 20:46

    Bought one of these structures to cover our RV at my equipment yard. Had it installed 3 years ago and it was around $4k installed IIRC. Of course prices have skyrocketed since then so I'm sure that price is higher now. Covered RV Storage → H&H Outdoor RV Covers for sale at H&H Truck and Outdoor. Protect your RV Camper with a RV Cover today. hhoutdoor.com It's held up well and survived a close call tornado several 100 yards away a couple of years ago.