Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for replacement Relays

33horse ยท 2008-01-10 12:03

Does anyone have a source for new relays that will fit a Case 580SK. I don't have the part number at the moment but they are about 1 & 1/2 inches square. My machine uses 7 of them. I had to swap my horn relay for the starter interlock relay so I can get my backhoe running.

Replies22
  1. #1Phil2008-01-10 20:07

    McMaster-Carr.com has a few. Type in "vehicle relay". Sometimes you local automotive supply has listings on different types or an electrical supply.Don't know if I have helped or not How much does Case want?Phil

  2. #233horse2008-01-11 13:20

    Good Idea Phil I did look at McMasters and they may be a source. Case wants $45 bucks each. ouch. I figure these things have to be common, but parts houses these days want part numbers and have no idea what they are looking at half the time. I appreciate you idea.

  3. #3Xcopterdoc2008-01-11 18:03

    Always get mine at NAPA... take the old one with you.

  4. #4SouthOnBeach2008-01-13 20:30

    you could try Terminal Supply company. they have tons of different styles of relays and electrical parts.

  5. #533horse2008-01-14 09:24

    Relay Source/Prevent Electrical Corrosion Thanks for your input. I found an answer to finding Replacement Relays for my Case 580SK in an odd way. I was on a parts run for some car parts and was browsing the auto parts store where I saw some relays that looked like mine, but sold as air horn relays. Come to find out, many relays have standard pin configurations & numbers, If the numbers match in the correct position and the pins are the same size, it will likely work. Case uses 5 pin Relays, but in my application Four pin relays will work because the center pin is unused. Be sure the amperage rating is the same or higher. My cost was $2.50 compared with Case's price of over 25. The original problem I had was corrosion on the relay pins, I use a conductive paste made for low voltage applications to prevent corrosion. Available at the Low Voltage/Electrical aisle at your local Home Improvement Store. I use the stuff on any electrical connection that does not have a boot or cover. If it has a cover or Boot I tend to use a silicone sealer sparingly to help seal out water and dirt but making it re-enterable. I appreciate this forum for exchanging information and ideas. In many cases you may not get the exact answer, but the responses will lead you there. Steve

  6. #6Phil2008-01-14 15:54

    If your relay works, let us know the manufacturer and part#. I use vasoline on every machine electrical plug, also on battery terminals. Sounds like it's going to be a happy ending. Phil:drinkup

  7. #7Xcopterdoc2008-01-14 20:21

    Most of the time if walk into a parts place and find someone who knows what day it is and you ask em for a 4 pin or 5 pin Bosch relay, they will hook you up. As you stated, they are all the same, just depends on if you need that 5th pin, which is a normally closed contact.

  8. #8Cavalo2008-01-15 00:07

    Vasoline is a great conductor and insolates against moisture, but I have found it to break down after time, there is something called die-electric grease which has the consistency of vasoline or silicone but is made for electrical connections, I dont know if you have that in your area but it is something I use on all connections related to wiring. You can use it in your Tidy tank pump switch compartment as that is something the manufacturer doesnt do and it corrodes in there.............Interesting fact..........the guy that invented WD 40 had a boat on the sea and had a terrible time with electrical connections rusting from the salt air, he being a professor rofessor, came up with a formula to stop corrosion on electrical connections, the formula was WD 40. True story. It doesnt stop squeaks for long but it definetly stops corrosion on all sorts of stuff including metal/chrome anti sail and weights for mud flaps and mag wheels and wheel nuts. ...........Put that in your pipe and smoke it!:stirthepot

  9. #9Phil2008-01-15 07:31

    Thanks Cavalo for the advice. I'm going to add die-electric grease to my "buy list". I use WD40 alot, probably more so to keep the nut from dragging all the way off on a rusty thread. I heard of people spraying it on their joints to help with arthritus .Phil

  10. #10Cavalo2008-01-15 11:51

    You mean like windex fixing warts or abrasions!

  11. #11Phil2008-01-15 15:56

    Ya, something like that. I get WD40 in the 1 gallon can now and fill a spray bottle. Maybe it's better for the enviroment .Phil

  12. #12Cavalo2008-01-15 22:14

    Thats funny, so do I , only with Move-it

  13. #13atgreene2008-01-15 22:23

    Fluid Film will keep electrical connections from corroding, and last longer than wd-40. Dielectric grease is best, but once it's been there a while a squirt of FF does great.

  14. #14Cavalo2008-01-15 22:29

    good to know..........why does your signature say Portland fire Dept. and your profile says Maine?? Or is Portland an area of Sebago Maine??

  15. #15Cavalo2008-01-15 22:34

    Never mind........I checked out your website, Portland must be an area of Maine. I guess I should have checked out the facts before I went off half cocked??

  16. #16atgreene2008-01-15 23:00

    I live 30 miles from Portland in Sebago. Sorry for the confusion.

  17. #17Cavalo2008-01-15 23:13

    I was thinking about Portland Oregon actually........sorry for the confusion back!

  18. #18melben2008-01-16 20:34

    Do not assume that all the Bosch style relays are the same, the ones for newer machines that have electronic type controllers and solenoids for shifting have diodes to protect the delicate electronics and switches from spikes produced by magnetic fields in the solenoids collapsing. In the long run you may be glad you used the proper ones. The other style may function , but may cause some other component to fail, one a lot more costly than the relay

  19. #19melben2008-01-16 20:42

    Do not assume that all Bosch style relays are the same, later machines that have more electronics have relays identical in appearance but containig a diode to protect switches and microprocessors from voltage spikes caused by solenoid coils unloading, cheaper may be more in the long run

  20. #20stumpjumper832008-01-16 21:33

    Having worked at a case dealer, not all dealers use the same price structure. For Instance the engine in your 580 L backhoe is the same engine as a 1894 case farm tractor and your 95' dodge truck. Sometimes a piece for the construction market may be marked up 15% higher than the same part for Farm equipment.

  21. #21Countryboy2008-01-17 01:39

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums melben! :drinkup

  22. #22mer2010-09-27 12:19

    could you post a photo of the relay ..pin side up..