Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for small grader

stevel ยท 2011-09-26 09:16

Hey guys, I'm new here although I've been reading through old posts for several months now. I'm looking to buy a small grader to keep on my farm, most likely 10' moldboard. I'd love to have a Fiat Allis M65 but they are generally a bit more expensive than I'm wanting to spend. Occasionally I'll come across a Gallion 503, an Allis Chalmers DD or some lesser known stuff. I've looked at some Cat 112E and 112F. Here's the question; what is the difference (other than age) between the 112E and 112F? I realize that these are mechanical instead of hydraulic and that has both positives and negatives. Is it safe to say that the main advantage of the Cat is parts availability? This will be a machine that will get about 20 hours per year put on it. Thanks for any and all advice.

Replies15
  1. #1lpnt652011-10-02 22:51

    Hi stevel, i reckon a Fiat allis would by ideal for Farm roadways ,the Moldboard is 10 foot, whereas the Cats Are 12 foot long, this inclined to to wide for farm laneways, At least it is here in Australia and was same in New zealand Farmers made a20ft laneway then fenced it off so this limmited how the surplus material was disposed of. WE had an Adams 330H now it was good grader for farmers roads that we made ,however when we later went to maintain them the farmers had put fences on the road side of the water tables , So, that was a problem, Now as for parts the Fiat Allis is again available as new machine, or at least they are available in Australia the parts are identical, On original Fiat allis M65 Blade did not turn 369degrees,Latest ones are able to turn full 360, hope this will help good luck

  2. #2GAmeric2011-10-03 12:08

    I think you can look at some of the older Komatsu 650 series that was basically a dresser re-branded as Komatsu. Also you might want to think about machines from Asia they are smaller and have smaller moldboards. I would suggest MG130E or similar would be good but parts a difficult to find.

  3. #3Trashman2011-10-03 14:36

    Hi Stevel, I would look for a John Deere 570A or B. They were great little machines.

  4. #4stevel2011-10-03 18:05

    I would love to have a JD 570 but they are just too expensive on the used market with the exception of salvage junk. Of course, the Allis M65s also seem to bring top dollar. I'm looking to try to stay below $8k. That's proving to be almost impossible on a usable machine unless I go back to a 1950s vintage unit.

  5. #5lgammon2011-10-04 22:48

    a guy here had a old cat 12 that was in great shape for being a 56 model i think. we rented it once to dress a long road. he offered it to us for 2500. the motor in that old grader sounded better than out brand new 420e. he has sold it though.

  6. #61970Cat162011-10-11 10:23

    You can find a good Cat Machine but only $8k is not enuff money unless you are going to get a dry clutch dry tire rotten junker anything ready to work in good order is $12k to $25k for ranch dozers or graders the oil patch boom has driven up prices, there are several for sale in my area right now and livestock weekly has some in your area up there, have u looked in it??? There is a 12 t oil clutch with no cab 20 miles from my house for sale, looks like a farmer barn machine with low hours in Karnes City Texas, go to track shops and look on ebay as well etc

  7. #7rsherril2011-10-12 07:21

    After 10 years of "looking" for a reasonably priced small grader I found a 570A online. When they sent me a picture, I recognized the landscape and found the machine sitting in lot at the nearby JD dealer. It was traded in by a local municipality for a new machine not more that a week before. Price was higher than I wanted to pay, (I found bigger machines for less), but service records were there and it had been repowered with a dealer installed engine which then had 2400 hrs on it. I spoke with the mechanic who looked after it for twenty years who said it was solid. It came with all manuals, tire chains and a dealer that could help me take care of it. Most important was I could put it to work for my home owners association. After three years, I am recovering my investment. Time is another issue, but this is what I wanted. My advice: take your time, beware of machines located far away (transportation costs, etc. can run thousands of dollars), service records and access to good mechanics available can prevent you from owning a yard decoration that will constantly remind you of the old saying, "Buyer Beware". It's more than just good luck to find a machine that will work for you.

  8. #8da'yoop2011-10-12 09:06

    Wow.........10 years! You are one patient person...

  9. #9Boyee2011-10-12 09:55

    Is this to small! http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z451/Johnboyee/e638a6d9.jpg

  10. #10stevel2011-10-12 12:54

    It looks to be about the right size but my hand might get tired of pushing it. Cool and labor-intensive looking project, though. I assume it is all scratch-built.

  11. #11Boyee2011-10-12 13:21

    Lol, The guy has put months into this, when he's done it's gonna be electric drive with actual working hydraulics, I don't think you would get tired to fast! Here's the link to the build.. http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1582

  12. #12Motor Grader2011-10-13 12:11

    Used Grader that may work for you I ran across a 1985 Lee G-440 on Machinery Trader Online. This grader is what has evolved into the Champion Compact Motor Graders manufactured today in Charlotte, NC. Same building and same family build them today as they did in 1985 so parts are support won't be an issue. Here is the link to the page: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7933989&

  13. #13stevel2011-10-13 12:56

    Hmm. Would that unit typically have a 10' moldboard? The ad says John Deere engine. Do you know what engine it used? I assume it has a hydrostatic transmission. A Lee grader would be a good fit for me... that is my last name.

  14. #14Jodi Adams2011-10-15 22:53

    I have a smaller grader for sale - not exactly what you are looking for, but if anyone know of anyone looking for this kind of a grader please let me know it is an Adams Road patrol #4 all steel road grader (including wheels) - in very good shape - could not figure out how to post a picture - but i can email if anyone is interested. thanks

  15. #15Motor Grader2011-10-20 11:46

    Would be a 4 cylinder 80 hp engine. Plenty of hp for a 14,000 pound grader.