I need a smaller grader to grade several miles of narrow road in the mountains. A lot of hills with frequent pitch changes. I would assume the graders with the wider tires would not be the best option...less traction when trying to cut??? Also would like something with a cab for cold winter months. Price point would probably be around 40k. I would like something pre emission, but not too old....looking for a good reliable machine. Any suggestions?
Well, you have some good specifications, check with your local municipal and state departments to see if anything good is coming up for auction, Also check with the local auction houses. Sometimes you'll find a road construction company that changes equipment every 5 years and now and again you'll find a decent deal. I've found leaving my information with the sales folks at the big dealers regarding traded in machines is somewhat hit or miss.
Have you looked into a large land leveler box blade that could be pulled behind a tractor you may already have? That could be the most affordable and effective way to maintain your project...
A couple years ago I bought a BC grader attachment. It was not cheap, but it is pretty awesome. All the functions are at your fingertips. I have it on a CASE CTL. Might be something to look into. They offer three different models. I would look past the small one. The two bigger models are the ones you want.
I'm thinking a used municipal grader might be the thing to look for. Many cities and counties are starting to look for EPA complying machines and the trade values given by dealers is likely starting to fall. A municipal manager might be willing to listen to someone offering a private sale. I like the Cat 112 or 12 machines for what you are describing.
Yep, I've got one already. Plan to use it when roads just need touched up. Will probably still need a grader to clean ditches. Might use grader to push snow in winter.
I was originally looking at a smaller machine....15000 lb, 10' moldboard. I was thinking a 30000lb machine would be tough on the sections of roads that are only 10' wide? These roads get washboard pretty bad. There is 15 mi of rd to do. Is the 15k lb machine going to be up for the task?
570 John Deere? Whats the average road width? was it built to any kind of spec? Decent gravel or native material? What kind of use does it get?
Average 10 to 12'. Granite ABC. Some areas 4 to 6 inches deep, others the road has bed rock exposed....not an easy grade job. Mostly passenger vehicle traffic, occasionally 10 wheel dump trucks.
Noram built a smaller grader: http://www.noram65.com/ And Leeboy too.
Sounds like you are kind of looking for a "tweener" size. Cutting Edge can give a little feedback on Mauldins- he's ran them doing smaller jobs. Having been around the Champion C86's (NOT PERSONALLY RAN THEM), they might be the right size, but they aren't really built for much roading, and I'm not sure how much snow I'd want to push with one. I guess I'd look around and see if you could find a good used 120G or H and see if that would fit the bill or be cumbersome. That keeps you in something conventional if it'll work.
YEP, Noram, continuation of AC's small grader line. Don't forget used AC's, DD, M65, etc, all good values...
I'm not a grader man but have owned and maintained a property up a steep rocky mountain road. I would say that the rockier it is, the heavier a grader you want.
Municipal sales around my neck of the woods wind up on municibid.com heres one they have now: https://municibid.com/Listing/Details/10092573/20-04-PSI
Around here 40K will buy you a very good grader. I'd stay away from non-hydraulic graders. Look for a JD 570 or an early JD 670B. In CAT paint I'd look for a 120G or H as mentioned earlier. Again, here, you can buy a very decent JD670B or CAT 140G. Either of these will outlive you and your first generation of descendants doing the maintenance you are talking about. Keep us posted on your progress and purchase.
Cat no. 12 motor grader question Cat Motor grader serial number 9K4978. Any idea on the year?
Welcome to HEF. Wow, that's not much info. Any idea on the model number???
Cat 12 grader. I would say in the 1940's. 9K series is older than the 8T series. FWD