Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for some help

Danny62e10 ยท 2015-04-05 10:11

I'm taking a shot in the dark here I hope someone will read this and be able to help....... Next year will be my fathers 50th anniversary of his tour in Vietnam. He was a combat engineer. I would like to build a model of a road scraper that he did a lot of work with over there and give it to him a as a gift. I have a few pictures of his that I can use for reference.....but I am having a very hard time finding the model kit. I want to build it in 1/35 scale but at this point I will use anything I can find. From research I have done I believe what I'm looking for is a Caterpillar 830MB or maybe a 290M WHEEL DOZER & SCRAPER . I was hoping you may have some information on possible model kits or even a diecast one. I am a skilled model builder and I would be able to convert a diecast civilian scraper to look like a military version. Any help you may have would be a huge help. Thank you very much Danny [email protected]

Replies11
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2015-04-06 11:21

    I don't know of any models in 35th scale, but you could combine some existing 50th scale models to build one. CCM makes a great 988 wheel loader that is esentially the same base machine the 830M was derived from. A scraper could be made from an Ertl 631 scraper, or possibly others. You may also get some skilled help, and be able to purchase the base models at DHS diecast. They have a good forum for builders that may also be helpful. Good luck, and if you can, share pictures with us.

  2. #2Danny62e102015-04-06 16:52

    Wow!!! Thank you that is a very good start. I have been making myself nuts trying to find something like that. The information you gave me on the different equipment is a huge help. Thanks a lot. I will post some pictures as a build.

  3. #3Danny62e102015-04-06 17:21

    OMG. Diecast is a little $$$ to say the least

  4. #4Danny62e102015-04-06 17:35

    I figured out how to get a picture on here. This is what I'm looking to make

  5. #5Danny62e102015-04-06 17:38
  6. #6Danny62e102015-04-25 09:51
  7. #7Danny62e102015-04-25 09:53
  8. #8Danny62e102015-04-25 09:59
  9. #9Danny62e102015-04-25 10:01
  10. #10Danny62e102015-04-25 10:03
  11. #11Danny62e102015-04-25 10:06

    Still have a LOT of work to do. But that is what I have so for.