Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for used reliable dump truck.

SadMer ยท 2020-06-09 10:50

Starting up a dump truck business. Looking for a reliable dump truck. Plan to spend 25k. Any advice?

Replies18
  1. #1DMiller2020-06-09 11:23

    Whatever looking at ask for Records they have Of the machine, if no records they have no clue as to condition. Do not try to be impressive and Buy a Big Name product because of Ego, a aged Mack or Corn Queen(IHC) will get you as far or cost just as much in repairs but cost less to begin with. As I noted prior try to stay away from Converted Road Tractors, they do not tend to do well as a Dump Truck.

  2. #2SadMer2020-06-10 13:21

    sorry for my ignorance what is "Corn Queen(IHC)"? I am new to the trucking.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2020-06-10 13:25

    Corn binder. Corn field Cadillac. All reference to a international. Or what some guys call electrical problems at least the older ones up in the north east.

  4. #4DMiller2020-06-10 13:26

    International or Navistar. Also built Farm Tractors in the 70's/80s, IE Corn Queens, as many farms used IHC Trucks and Tractors for years. Old adage; 'Too Fast for the Field too Slow for the Road, GO International, if it will not run paint it Red, if still won't run Chrome it, GO International !!!!' Old IHC Engines were mainly Red Painted, and as such a few had Chrome Valve Covers and Exhaust parts!.

  5. #592U 34062020-06-10 17:04

    13 letter **** spreaders

  6. #6SadMer2020-06-10 21:09

    awesome

  7. #7SadMer2020-06-27 21:55

    Got CAT CT 660S with 246,065 Miles and maintenance record for 45k. Previously some one pointed out CAT dump trucks are orphan and finding spearparts might be hard to find. Do CAT has specific mechanical problems? I was thinking for such low mileage and condition, if i run this for couple of years with out major breakdown, I might return might investment. Any advise?

  8. #8DMiller2020-06-28 20:25

    International Paystar Chassis may interchange SOME parts, may be able to readily adapt some Corn Queen pieces onto the CAT Labeled machines.

  9. #9CM19952020-06-28 20:40

    I hope you bought it cheap... Heard nothing but horror stories about these trucks. There is a reason why Cat doesn't "make" them any more.

  10. #10crane operator2020-06-28 20:41

    You'll never get out of it what you put into it, between purchase price and repair costs, the equipment wears parts. I would look for something a little more likely to get parts for, the cat is really really a orphan, and they didn't make many of them to begin with. Pete, KW, Western Star, Mack or Ford (not sterling). If its a international get the 91-9300 cabs, not the 8100 series. Buy whatever you get cheap and fix it so you know what you have. I don't think you will end up with any better of a truck at 25k than at 15k. The 45k for the Cat seems way out of your intial investment amount. I'm sure it looks nice inside, but that's double the initial price. I'd be prior to 2000 to avoid the emissions and e-log nonsense.

  11. #11AzIron2020-06-29 20:32

    Around here 30 grand buys a worn out put away wet truck so bearing in mind you have to start somewhere you better be handy with a wrench cause dumptrucking is a labor intensive buissness in repairs especially cheap trucks I would run away from a cat truck transmission had issues and problems galore with the engines and no one really ever worked through the problems because they quit building them so no one wanted them no support You will probably have better luck building a truck over buying one but that comes with it's own headaches as well unless you are as good an auction shyster as cm1995 and get a deal like he did then it's a hard market

  12. #12CM19952020-06-29 20:44

    I'm more a bottom feeding auction attendee - shyster has a shady conation to it. Speaking of which I've missed several trench rollers at IP recently because they went for more than $5K...

  13. #13Truck Shop2020-06-29 20:50

    A starter truck. https://www.mountain-hi.com/invento...1995-international-9300?dlr=1&pcid=2001072547

  14. #14colson042020-06-29 21:03

    Dang nice starter truck. Hard to find much of that vintage left around here. Rustbelt has pretty well done them all in.

  15. #15DMiller2020-06-29 21:08

    Yeah we are also Rust Belt, Salt for highways just destroys most every wagon out there QUICK.

  16. #16petepilot2020-06-29 21:13

    nice lookin truck for a 95

  17. #17Truck Shop2020-06-30 18:23

    Another starter truck. https://yakima.craigslist.org/hvo/d/benton-city-dump-truck/7132407089.html

  18. #18AzIron2020-06-30 19:11

    That's pretty clean for an old truck