Completed my training for Heavy Equipment Certification and now looking for work in Naples, FL. I have experience on various equipment wanted to be certified. I also have over 30 years experience as a plumber (commercial, industrial and residential). Any suggestions on places I could apply!.
Welcome to the Forums john61!:drinkup I have to ask, if you have 30 years experience in plumbing then why the move to equipment operator?
a plumbing place with their own equipment.
Welcome John61...I dont wanna rain on your parade but.....If its the same in the States as it is in UK, you are gonna have a problem..There are guys sitting on their hands right now so you being a new guy you are gonna find it very hard to find work.Heavy equipment is not easy, the good guys that do it make it look that way but it takes time.I know from experience you have to start at the bottom and it's not gonna be easy getting in the seat.I have seen good guys get the run simply because the face dont fit.You are gonna have to find a company who is willing to give you a shot but they are very few and far between these days.I wish you the very best of luck in your new choice with heavy equipment..
I would imagine there are plenty of job opportunities out there. 30 years as a plumber, I would apply for a job doing wet utilities. You probably have alot to offer just need to find the right fit. Might have to work in the trench fitting pipe for awhile. Good Luck, CD
I was laid off last year and decided to take on another trade. Needed to do something while looking for work.
Thank you.
Thank you.... currently starting the process of sending out a lot of resumes. I have experience working as a heavy equipment operator however, never certified.
If ya aint "one of the good ole boys" you'll probably be waiting awhile.....
There was a huge percentage of HE operators and foremans that got laid off in recent years and you can bet they are looking for openings. I think you could be valuable to a plumbing outfit that uses mini excavators, or a septic/sewer company with backhoes. You'll have to start low. Once a company knows you are new and that they trained you they normally won't move you up, but then you quit and go to another company and you will have experience and have more value. Whoever said if you don't have the face for it you probably won't get the job is pretty much right. If you look like a gunslinger you will fit right in. Companies are doing some hiring around here, but don't be suprised if they pay excellent operators only $10 or $12 an hour. Heck if you went to HE school then I guess you can operate. If I were you I might just tell them I had experience and you might be able to pull it off. I'd expect to go through a few companies to build confidence. Good luck. At least in Florida with all the sand you can always get a full scoop and look good, but I bet you'll see a lot of water tables.