Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy a new tractor

Benjamin Herd ยท 2018-06-12 13:22

Hello to all, I am looking to buy a new tractor come July. I was wanting some imput on recommend tractors for my needs. I have a 87 John Deere 2555 that I primarily use now but wanting to upgrade. We do about 80 acres in hay and some gardening along with feeding. Im looking to buy a 75 to 85 hp cab tractor with loader. Any and all imput will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. Ben

Replies42
  1. #1redneckracin2018-06-12 13:49

    If you are looking at new vs old. Make sure you keep in mind that the new tractors are advertised as flywheel hp. Where as the older 55 series I think we're advertised as pto hp.

  2. #2Benjamin Herd2018-06-12 14:01

    I would like new but if I found a used at a good buy I would do that as well. I need 2 remotes, would like shuttle shift. My bailer requires around 65hp.

  3. #3Benjamin Herd2018-06-12 14:01

    Thank you redneckracin for the reply. That's something for me to look into

  4. #4redneckracin2018-06-12 14:35

    I have a 5083E thats a 2011 and don't have any complaints. Its 83net and 69 at the pto. I don't think I would want to go any smaller than that. I think the 5E series are a little light for some farm work. I added 800lbs per tire in beet juice, 100lb per tire in wheel weights, and I run 8 suitcase weights on the front. I also have the 563 loader with SSQA that I really like.

  5. #5Benjamin Herd2018-06-12 15:34

    The new Tractors I have glanced at were the JD 5075E, Massey Ferguson 4708 Kubota M7060. I'm not opposed to a used tractor with low hours either. I just figured I may be money ahead with a new one and incentives but I don't know.

  6. #6CM19952018-06-12 19:27

    Welcome to the Forums Benjamin! I moved this thread over to the AG forums. Best of luck with your tractor search!

  7. #7Benjamin Herd2018-06-12 19:49

    Thank you CM

  8. #8Legdoc2018-06-12 20:21

    I have excellent service from all my Kubota equipment. Unfortunately the dealer is no longer of any value. I now drive 90 miles for parts. As I have read many times on HEF no brand is good without proper dealer support.

  9. #9Benjamin Herd2018-06-12 20:25

    I agree with what you have heard on here. My closest Deere dealer isn't the very best but I have another Deere dealer, Kubota, Case, Mahindra, and Massey Dealers all within about 45min from me and have heard good things about all and have dealt with most of their parts department.

  10. #10CM19952018-06-12 21:17

    No doubt Legdoc. It's the same way in my neck of the woods with Bobcat - good product but terrible dealer.

  11. #11Benjamin Herd2018-06-12 21:35

    That's the good thing about where I live. I am a hour away from 3 cities that have all the major dealers so I have options to different dealers for the same product.

  12. #12Tenwheeler2018-06-12 22:42

    You can get a lot of information about tractors at tractor data . com. It appears you hang on to things awhile, nothing wrong with that! These newer tractors all use DEF and have particulate filters. Those are great for the atmosphere. I just don't understand why the US, Canada and a few others are supposed to save the atmosphere for the whole world? While sitting at a dealer parts counter a man sat at the stool next to me. The parts man asked what can I help you with? He replied that he was tractor shopping. I have this maintenance manual on this tractor I am considering. It says here the the particulate filter should be changed every 5000 hours if not required sooner. What does one of these cost? $4000.00 He said thank you and left. I do not recall the model but it was a big boy over 400HP. Another man at a different dealer was not happy about his new emissions tractor. Said he was in the hay barn with dust everywhere. Went into regen mode and he heard the exhaust can get over 1,000 degrees. Some have been back to the dealer multiple times because these systems shut them down. Appears to me they are getting better but it is hard to make hay that way. I would look for tractors made just before these and hope it lasts as long as your 2555.

  13. #13hvy 1ton2018-06-13 00:46

    If you are happy with deere service I would be looking for an used 6X20. That is going to be much more closer to your 2555 than an 5E. Almost all of them have a power quad and most of them that came with a loader have a left hand reverser. While those tractors have a good bit of electronics in them, you are avoiding most of the emissions adventures.

  14. #14Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 06:48

    Tenwheeler, hvy 1 ton, thank you both!!! The emissions is on thing that I am not a friend of. A guy at work had a 5083 that I should have bought 2 yes ago. Hind sight is 20/20. Used ones seem hard to buy with low hrs.

  15. #15Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 06:52

    Heavy 1 ton, when you said look for a 6x20 where you talking and a jd 6220?

  16. #16hvy 1ton2018-06-13 13:13

    6220, 6320, and 6420. I think there are more 64's built than the rest.

  17. #17Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 13:17

    Thanks hvy 1 ton I will check them out

  18. #18Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 15:39

    What kind of hours would you consider on a used one? Considering it looks like it's been took care of.

  19. #19Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 16:47

    Would it be in my interest to even look at a Mahindra? They seem to be makiya spot on the map. I know nothing about them.

  20. #20hvy 1ton2018-06-13 17:48

    They are throw away tractors. The dealer support I've seen is questionable. I wouldn't touch one with a 10' stick.

  21. #21Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 17:58

    Thank you hvy 1 ton. I just didn't know anything about them. I'll toss that thought to the side.

  22. #22Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 17:59

    What kind of hours would be to many on the 6000 series JD that you spoke of?

  23. #23hvy 1ton2018-06-13 18:31

    Depends on what you are comfortable with. I wouldn't be afraid of anything under 5,000 hours that had been taken care of. I don't what you are looking to spend, but there are a couple very low hour tractors in the KY/TN area on tractor house atm.

  24. #24Benjamin Herd2018-06-13 19:25

    I don't want to go crazy on spending but I'm not afraid to pay for something nice. I was originally looking at the 5085E when I started the thread. I just don't want to pay new price for a used tractor if that makes sense

  25. #25td25c2018-06-14 07:33

    You guy's know what brand I'd go with M670 is a pretty good all around chore tractor @ 75 HP . This one is gasoline . Not a bad price . https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10138787/1967-minneapolis-moline-m670

  26. #26Benjamin Herd2018-06-14 07:49

    What about the JD 5525 found a 2005 model her close with 2800 hrs

  27. #27hvy 1ton2018-06-14 14:19

    Does it have the syncshuttle or power reverser trans? Either one is better than a straight syncro for loader work, but the partial powershit would be better.

  28. #28catman132018-06-14 21:03

    any new tractor over a 90 or a 100 HP has def and all of the emission stuff on them, that is why tractors a round that size used are hard to find because a lot of people don't want all of the junk on them

  29. #29Tenwheeler2018-06-14 21:39

    I thank those were good little tractors right there.

  30. #30td25c2018-06-14 22:50

    You cat's know why John Deere paints the tractors green ?

  31. #31Tenwheeler2018-06-14 23:01

    Please fill us in! If it is the color of cash you have not owned a Challenger.

  32. #32Tenwheeler2018-06-14 23:04

    Even over 50 Hp

  33. #33colson042018-06-16 16:31

    I partially agree with this. I have run the 6410, 6420 and a 6330 daily on our feed wagon and also doing other jobs like hat work and light spring seeding. The 6410, while an older series, is an extremely reliable and very versatile machine. So reliable that we sold the 6330 and replaced it with another 6410. All of these tractors had JD's PowerQuad transmission w/power reverser. The 6420 had around 13,000 hours when we traded it off for the 6330. It had numerous problems both mechanical and electrical and was constantly in the shop. The 6330 only had 2000 hours when we got it and needed injectors by 2500 hours. Then it had a long string of over heating issues that finally led us to start looking for another 6410. Too many electronics on that tractor. It was comfy and quiet, but too many other headaches. It had less than 5000 hours when we got rid of it. That leads us to the 6410's. Our original 6410 has 30,000 hours and counting. It runs 8 hours a day, every day. Its an open station tractor so it gets a break around November when we put the 6410 with a cab on the feed wagon. We overhauled it at 22,500 hours and it's been working like a champ ever since. We have replaced a clutch, tie rod ends and pretty much all the hoses, but it gets used a lot and things will wear out eventually. I'm actually looking for another 6410 myself. A low hour 6420 would be my 2nd choice. I'll pass on the 6x30 series. Not worth the headache.

  34. #34td25c2018-06-22 07:31

    JD painted green so they can hide in the tall grass when a Minneapolis - Moline shows up .

  35. #35Tenwheeler2018-06-22 22:32

    Where did they go? Used to be bad boys at the pulls. Some were running propain. In those days the increased sled weighting was by people standing at the markers, on each side, and stepping on to the sled as it came by. My brother and I were allowed to count as one. When the classes progressed larger tractors were parked on the sled and people were still the the added weight. It used to be for fun and bragging rights. The first Deutz I saw was at a pull. Maybe in Assumption Ill. A man was telling him his 4X4 Chevy could do better than that. They were having a loud public discussion. It won't, you can't it's a tractor pull! It was allowed and he pulled up with a black steel wheel farm truck. It had wooden slatted stock panels on both sides and the front. There were a lot of people in the back. He hooked up and smoked that Deutz. Folks moved us across the country. Can not recall the last time I saw a Minnimo.

  36. #36Plebeian2018-06-28 00:00

    Obviously the John Deere firstly when assessing your options. Those JD 6410s should have more than 75-85 horsepower. Need to check the wiring closely in the older JDs. What terrain , contour you are on? New Hollands or Case-IHs (5040, 5050s are still fairly basic) might cost a bit less than the JDs for an initial purchase price. Read some of the online guides for buying used tractors - such looking at tires closely - they are a big expense and can make old tractors uneconomic versus paying the extra for getting a brand new or low hour tractor that still has factory warranty and good tires

  37. #37hvy 1ton2018-06-28 00:20

    Good point about the tires. Put a full set of radials on my 6400 last summer. Came in dangerously close to $5k.

  38. #38Benjamin Herd2018-06-28 07:31

    Thanks for the info Plebeian. I hear you on the older John Deere electrical. Ours doesn't have hardly any electronics at all but man I've had crap to fix Everytime I turn around electrical. The terrain I'm in is fairly flat with a few hills but not very bad at all.

  39. #39hillbillywrench2018-07-13 21:34

    The farm that I work on has been through several new JD tractors in the last several years. Three 6105D's (two had starters eat the flywheel, one caught on fire, one blew an engine at less than 500 hrs., one had AC issues. All had 3X3 trans with unsyncronized ranges (not enough gears) and all have been traded off!) Three 6120E's (one was totalled in a wreck (operator error), one lost all hydraulic power at about 1000 hrs, one had faulty exhaust/DEF wiring. one was going to need a flywheel soon, two have been traded off. At least they had 3X4 full sync trans with Hi/low powershift. We are moving up to M and R series tractors for better quality?? I would avoid the D and E series. The older 00, 10, 20, 25, and even 30 series lasted much better, IMHO. In JD's defense, we do have good dealer support, the new tractors are very comfortable, and we use the tractors pretty hard. I grew up running a G670 diesel Moline and a Case 970 diesel. I love the new transmissions and comfy cabs but I sure miss the those simple old tractors.

  40. #40colson042018-07-14 08:23

    I do love the old, simple tractors for sure. I grew up running 4020's with the syncroshift trans. Simple, rugged, durable tractors. Our last 4020 had the 8 speed powershift which was pretty nice too. A 4440 with cab, A/C, and powershift has always been another favorite of mine. Solid, dependable tractors. I'm keeping my eye out for a hay tractor and will probably buy something in the 40 series for myself. At least they're simple enough that I can do all the repairs myself if need be.

  41. #41Hobbytime2018-07-14 09:04

    do you have any new holland dealers by you? I have 3 new holland tractors all newer from 2006 to 2017, I dont use them hard but they have given me good service and no major issues yet..mahindra in my opinion is junk for any professional use, may be good for a home owner to putz around in, an acquaintance bought a 2016 mahindra comparable to my 37 horse new holland and everything on it was thinner and cheesy feeling...

  42. #42Legdoc2018-07-14 09:26

    I have all Kubota equipment all are pre-emission and have had excellent results. The local dealer lost their way and is now worthless.