Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy, advice needed.

Preppypyro ยท 2014-04-14 01:16

Hey there guys and gals, Im looking to expand a little and am pondering purchasing a hydraulic excavator. Ive ran them before, but I really know very little about what to look for when buying a used one. I am most likely going to be looking at excavators at ritchie brothers auctions, and they have lots of pictures, and generally not a whole ton of info. One thing I keep seeing is stick size, but i cant really determine which part of the boom that would be referring to. I really have no idea what Im looking for, I dont have to have any certain brands, but I would like it to be reliable. i would take reliability over power. Anyways im hoping to start here and learning a few things, so school me up! Thanks for any and all comments!

Replies1
  1. #1CM19952014-04-14 07:10

    The stick or dipper arm is where the bucket is attached. There are different lengths that fit different applications. A long stick for pipe laying and reach. A short stick for moving dirt as the breakout force and cycle time is quicker with a shorter stick. Be vary weary of machines at auction - the Ritchie Brothers "overhaul" is a term coined with wisdom. IE - put a slick paint job on a bucket of bolts and roll it across the auction floor. There are many things to look for when buying used equipment, I am sure other members will chime in.