Hey guys! I'm thinking about buying an excavator, expanding my new business..have a backhoe and dozer now. I worked part-time for a guy dipping ditches with a kobelco sk200 lc mark 4. I would really love to have a CAT to fit in with my other 2 pieces of machinery but the parts are priced riduculous!! :Banghead Just wondering what everyone has and the pros and cons about them..what would you recommend to a beginner buyer? Right now I'm leaning towards Kobelco since that is all that I have ran so far..Deere, Komatsu, Hitachi?? Looking around the comparable size to a 200/210 Kobelco.. Thanks!
How are parts and service in your area for all the different machine brands? Can you afford to wait for parts when the machine breaks down?
Cat and Deere dealerships are 45 minutes away. I don't know for sure what other brand dealers are there also but there is definately parts and service for basically anything within 2 hours
Just double checked: Dealers 45 minutes away; Cat Case Deere (w/ Hitachi) Kobelco Komatsu
Are you thinking of new or used? A Cat should keep it's value better but if their parts prices are way over what others charge.
Used, can't justify a brand new one just yet lol
ummm, you say Cat parts are expensive, and you also say you only have Cat equipment. Not to be difficult, but, have you actually compared the same parts, for the same size machines, in different brands? I have Cat, Case, Komatsu, Galion, Austin-Western, Ford, New Holland, and Takeuchi equipment, and have previously owned Kobelco, and my B-in-Law has several Deeres. I really find that Cat parts are not more expensive overall, though each brand has certain parts that will scare you out of a years growth.
Yes I'm saying there more expensive than other brands, especially motor-wise. My dad owns trucking business, semis and dumps. All he runs for motors in them is cummins, cats we did have we peddled. He also has a Case 57mxt for loading landscape materials out of our yard. I can say that parts for that are cheaper than parts for my 416c hoe. I'm not saying cat sucks at all, also have a 966c and a 950b. Two great machines! Just parts are more expensive compared to other brands. Maybe it's just the dealer we get them from? :beatsme:
That's what I have found out around here too Mitch. Komatsu and Kobelco parts are high, Cat in the middle and Bobcat the most outrageous. Probably is. I would put together a small list of the same items for each of the machines you are looking at and price each one. That will give you a decent idea of the differences in dealer pricing.
I think u would be fine with any of the main machines Deere, hitachi, link belt, komatsu etc.. If u think cat parts are expensive don't even look at a Volvo. Try to find a well cared for unit with low hours if u can..
How do you plan on transporting? If your running a tandem or triaxle dump w/ tag trailer your pushing your boundaries. Most guys don't haul more than a 160 on a tag behind a truck, larger than that and your in lowboy category. For me being able to transport myself is a must. It would be one thing if a for hire mover was there 4 hrs after you called but whenever I've hired something moved its been at their mercy, which might be next week. I'm assuming that your running a full size tlb and a 100hp 6 way dozer? Brand wise I like deere / hitachi, cat, case / link-belt, kommatsu, kobelco, daewoo / doosan / terex, and in that order
As I previously said, my dad owns a trucking company..I have worked for him since I was able to walk. I am branching off and doing excavating to broaden our business. It will be One of the business relationships that are, if you will, rare. He will own the trucks and I will own the excavation equipment. So with that being said, I have a lowboy sitting in our yard that I can use whenever I need it. And I have a '95 D5C.., sorry don't know what the "tlb" stands for. Brain fart :Banghead Stumpjumper; why do you like deere and hitachi better than cat??
Not really, actually that is a pretty good business model IMO. In the past I have owned dump trucks and although they were nice to have, it was an added expense that was hard to justify in my business. Now I have a very good friend of mine that has 3 tri's and 3 tandems. I can get a truck when I need it and only pay for what I use. I don't have to put up with the red tape of the DOT, driver issues or the other expenses that come along with owning trucks. I can expense his rate to the job and have a solid number to go off of. TLB stands for "tractor loader backhoe", don't fret the acronyms - I learn new phrases everyday.
Yes I agree with you on everything you said, mainly the DOT rules and regs. Up here in Ohio we can only haul 20 ton on our quads LEGALLY! it used to be throw 22-23 on them and go, not anymore..stone quarrys will not allow out if over a certain weight, sure its better and easier on the trucks but with these high fuel prices it hurts. So therefore when im doing a small job with my dozer and i need stone (I pull it around with a tandem) i go to the quarry and can only get legally on my truck 15.5 ton. Makes for a cussing fit when i need 18 ton and all of my dad's trucks are already taken up on other jobs Copy on the "tlb" - duh!!! lol Yes stumpjumper, I have an '01 Cat 416c with 4-in-1 front bucket; this is the most impressive/needed thing on a backhoe, in my opinion!!!
Well, nice to know that you have your trucking taken care of. I've ran backhoes, but for what I do a large mini ex is better. Whatever excavator you get, either get one with a thumb, or buy a thumb for it. I'm always using mine. As for why I like deere better than cat, Its cause the machines are nearly equal in most cases and the deeres are cheaper used. Deere parts are not too bad, and alot of aftermarket availability. If I bought a new machine every 3 years I might go for cat then cause of higher re-sale. Myself I run a 7 ton mini & a ctl rather than a backhoe. Works better for me. I would like to get a larger how myself, thinking the deere 490e or 120 also the case 9010b & cx130, but I need to get a bigger truck and I need to get the dozer and ctl paid off. The f800 does well but more motor is needed for more weight.
After running the hoe that I have I can see why you say a thumb is manditory lol..the kobelco i have run doesn't have one and i have been in need for it so many times. Copy on the Deere's, I can see where your coming from. I won't be buying a new one every 3-4 years, at least not yet
what kind of hours are considered low hours on a hoe? i think anything over 7500 is alot, so is this in the ballpark?? what about 9200 with new undercarriage?
Cat can keep its value for longer,also with stronge hydraulic systems.if the aftermarket parts and service are good and convenient nearby.You can consider it.
I would say low hours around 3000 hrs or less.. I have seen machines hit 10000 hours with few problems..
Good to know, what kind of problems would I start seeing around say 8000 hrs but with new undercarriage?
With a new undercarriage it should still be a good machine. I have seen water pumps, swing motors, injectors, fuel pumps, hydraulic pumps replaced around 8 thousand hours..
That's scary
It is but there are lots o 10,000 + hour machines out there with no problems. It's just kind of a gamble
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/grd/3288730290.html http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/3302558162.html I know this is a ride to look at and run but this machine is a one owner SUPER clean and tight. A good friend of mine has it and a 2006 Case CX130 (under 200 hrs ) for sale . He is looking to sell both and buy one newer 20 ton that has Aux hydrolics on the stick to run a mulching head. EDIT added hours to the CX130 , both of these where aquired to do land development but the houseing economy still hasnt rebounded so he only needs one unit
Wow you weren't kidding! Looks very clean and it's in the hour range I'm looking for. Too bad it's clear in MA
For the cost of shipping it maybe worth a ride on a friday and view it /run it on a saturday . I would like to have this machine for myself but its just to big for my work. The CX 130 is old stock still has most of the factory paint on the bucket , seat still has the factory rap! http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/3317182675.html
The case is out of my price range, but the cat I could do. I have spoke with the guy about it. MA is a long ways away from northwest ohio You say this guy is a friend of yours, have you ran the cat?