Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy Dynahoe 490.

Austin J ยท 2017-12-11 20:15

I'm looking at a Dynahoe 490 with the 4-53 Detroit. Unknown year, i haven't inspected in person. My concern is the seller says it has no brakes at all. I have found no information on the brake system of these machines so I am just looking for information about the brakes and their repair. I need to know if I am going to be capable of repairing them myself. Any other info about the 490s is also appreciated. I have already requested to join the yahoo group for dynahoe backhoe owners, but haven't been accepted yet. Thank You.

Replies4
  1. #1ssrider2017-12-12 10:16

    I have a Dynahoe 190 with the 3-53. So far it has been a great machine, but I also have no brakes. When I got it, the brakes worked, but have slowly faded away to nothing. It doesn't bother me much as I only use the machine on my own property. I haven't looked into it much but everything else I've done on this machine was relatively straight forward. I'm also a member on the Yahoo group. It is a great resource for information.

  2. #2Delmer2017-12-12 10:40

    The brakes are "standard" hydraulic brakes, right? With a master cylinder and wheel cylinders? They shouldn't be that hard to figure out, and the parts are out there, just maybe a trick to find the part numbers, or make something else fit. I can't help, but the yahoo group is the best place to go I know of. And I woudn't be afraid of fixing the brakes as long as you can look at it, verify how the brakes are supposed to work, and see that everything else works.

  3. #3Austin J2017-12-12 11:12

    If the brakes are a standard style then it shouldn't be a problem, just wanted to make sure. How is it to drive without brakes with the automatic? I have driven many tractors without touching the brakes, but they have all been manuals. I just got accepted into the Yahoo group so I'm going to peruse there and see what I come up with. Thanks.

  4. #4ssrider2017-12-12 14:35

    It's not to bad as long as your on flat ground. Mine doesn't want to move when put in gear until you give it some throttle, which helps. I should really get around to fixing my brakes though.