Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy JD 410B backhoe what do ya think?

ovrszd ยท 2017-12-29 18:23

Round 2. Thanks for all your input. Farm use, nothing commercial. Thanks again!! https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/john-deere-410b-backhoe-2wd/6389510745.html

Replies23
  1. #1crane operator2017-12-29 22:55

    Looks like a better machine than the other one. Priced a little more realistic too. Sure be a lot nicer to only spend 10k. I'm just going to throw this out, but 100 hours or less a year I'm not sure that I would want to spend $15k. $1,500 would probably rent a backhoe for a week? Unless your just needing it to push snow at your driveway, but you probably know the grader man well enough that he would do that for you. If its just for moving things around, a used old forklift is much cheaper. If you actually need it to do a dirt work job, I think you might be better off renting something, do the job and send it back. You could rent a backhoe for 2 weeks a year, for probably the next ten years, and come out $ ahead vs. owning one. The nice thing about owning, is its easy to go putter around for 2 hours on saturday clearing a fence row, and not have to work it for 10 hours to justify the rental. I always think the same thing when I look at boats. Really- a decent used boat costs about $10-15,000. I work too much, so realistically, I could use one about 4 weekends a year. If I can rent one for $300 for a day, that's 33 rentals. That's 8 years of boat use, with no maintence, or a dock, or a trailer, or a lift, or winterization, or batteries, or a busted prop, or a new truck to pull it with, etc, etc, etc. But I still look at buying boats, and I don't like renting one because the rent is so high, but it doesn't keep me from looking at buying boats either. The numbers change a bunch, if you look at using it more. If I was retired, and went fishing 3 days a week all spring summer and fall for a couple hours, I'd have a boat in a dock and could make the #'s work vs. renting a boat. Same with the backhoe. If you've got a bunch of stuff on the farm or timber that needs done, and time to do it in, then it makes sense to own it.

  2. #2Deon2017-12-30 06:26

    I have a 310D that is 2 series newer than the B but still considered old. Most parts are still available but some like hydraulic controls valves are already not available from Deere. But all seals and o-rings can be purchased from hydraulic shops. For me owning an old backhoe is like owning an old car. Sure don't need it but I like working with it and working on it. I keep mine in mint order at all times. It can be pricey at times but also rewarding. It's just one more hobby. If it has an engine and wheels or a propeller, I can have fun with it. But if saving money is your thing, don't buy it.

  3. #3T-town2017-12-30 09:03

    The crane man makes a good point.... but then you got to spend the $$ on something..!!?. might as well be an old hoe. I think that series began the set up where internal systems could be worked on/replaced without splitting the machine.... if that's the case that's a big plus going forward. Price seems to be right in line... Would be wise to have someone who knows these machines in general( or a JD guy) to check it out with you... checking the 'normal' wear spots...

  4. #4ovrszd2017-12-30 13:58

    Thank you very much for a very good reply!!! Yeah, the 410B definitely looks like a better kept machine. I don't have anyplace within 80 miles to rent a hoe. Probably would still be worth the trip if I planned ahead. The puttering around thing is what's guiding me toward buying. I'm retired. Everything, everything, everything I do on my farm is scheduled around my personal desire. Last thing I might have on my mind in the morning is digging with a hoe, but by mid afternoon I might be on it. My neighbor died of cancer 18 months ago. His Widow has a Woods 3pt hoe that he used on a JD 4240. She wants to sell it to me. Could probably buy it for $1500. That might be the logical thing to do. I just dread putting that much stress on my $40K tractor. For strictly personal use I don't think there's any way to financially justify this purchase. The only justification would be to fit the spontaneity of my current retired lifestyle.

  5. #5ovrszd2017-12-30 14:01

    Well stated!!!! I haven't called this guy yet. By appearances the hoe seems well cared for. Probably shedded. In one of the pics you can see the "newer" model machine in the background. Looks like 4wd. I expect this machine to not have any issues beyond it's age and limited luxuries. Thanks for the reply!!!

  6. #6ovrszd2017-12-30 14:04

    Good friend of mine has owned hoes for 30 years. He's eager to go with me and watch me spend my money, as well as judge the machine for me. This machine is 300 miles from me. Jack is even volunteering to haul it for me. Now if I could just get him to pay for it!!!!

  7. #7Billrog2017-12-30 15:51

    Richard everyone with some property should own a BH you just never know when your going to feel like digging a hole . One thing that's been my experience they hold their value especially if you clean them up.

  8. #8ovrszd2017-12-30 18:57

    Yep. I think, properly maintained, the hoes I'm looking at have depreciated out. As long as it functions as it did when I bought it, I can always get my money out of it.

  9. #9crane operator2017-12-30 19:04

    80 miles would change things a bunch, I have two rental places within 10 miles of me.

  10. #10ovrszd2017-12-30 19:05

    Yeah, rental would suck for me!!! I totally agree with your mathematics though.

  11. #11cpedwards2017-12-30 21:02

    just letting you know. We just bought a 87 410B we gave 8000.00 for it. Now the person we bought from is a good friend. We use on the farm. just had to rebuild the injector pump 500. but farm use priceless so far.

  12. #12ovrszd2017-12-30 22:19

    Thanks for the reply. Your friendship purchase might have saved you a grand or so. With that in mind this machine is still priced on the high end??? But,,,, I guess if I was trying to sell a machine I'd start on the high end too.

  13. #13Hobbytime2017-12-30 22:25

    I have several pieces of heavy equipment strictly for hobby farm use and my enjoyment..there is no price to put on big toys..if it means paying the mortgage or buying a backhoe thats a different story, if you have the spare cash buy your toy and enjoy it...

  14. #14ovrszd2017-12-31 09:28

    Yeah I agree. Reason I have a maximum dollar figure in mind is to do it without debt. Debt and Retirement are like oil and water.

  15. #15ovrszd2018-01-04 11:02

    I called yesterday morning about this machine. Woman answered the phone stating a Construction Company name. I explained why I was calling. She said she was an answering service and asked my name. I gave it to her. She then stated my phone number as a call back number? I confirmed. She said they will call you. They did not. I wasn't impressed.

  16. #16Delmer2018-01-04 18:11

    A contractor who doesn't call back within 24 hours, SHOCKING! Two months is a long time on Craigslist, it could be gone, or the price is negotiable if they still have it.

  17. #17crane operator2018-01-04 20:05

    Here's one for you, Troy, Mo. That's north of St. louis, I don't know where you're located in Mo. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/d/john-deere-510d-backhoe/6442689606.html 510 and 4x4, and open station, which you said you were kind of looking for. I just saw it advertised, (don't know owner or anything- this thread crossed my mind when I saw it). $16,500

  18. #18ovrszd2018-01-05 09:49

    I saw that 510. Appears to be a decent priced machine. A bit over my budget. A very heavy machine, approximately 18,000lbs. It's on my radar. Thanks for looking out for me!!!!

  19. #19crane operator2018-01-05 13:50

    The 4x4 would be very nice, it makes a big difference. A heavier machine isn't all bad, makes it a little easier to hoss things around. You're not planning on moving it around a bunch are you? Anywhere within 8 miles or so, its about as fast to drive it there, so the heavier weight shouldn't matter much, unless your out on the lawn in rainy weather. Would be a little chilly right now with the open station, but a couple of plastic clear sides to keep the wind off would help a bunch. I thought it was priced pretty good for what it is, a lot of guys don't want open station, which is probably why its priced reasonable. The guys doing it every day have to work in wind rain heat etc. They like a little A/C and heat, they don't have the option of waiting for better weather. You've got to save quite a bit of $ to buy one from very far away also. I bought a crane out of houston a while back, and I think it was $2,500 or so to get it home. Have you got a deere dealer close for parts?

  20. #20ovrszd2018-01-05 18:44

    I'm sure I'll hate myself down the road for not going 4x4 if that's how it turns out. I don't own anything that's not 4x4. I'll haul it less than 10 miles, maybe 3-4 times a year. I'm going to look at an older Ford 555A Monday. It's 90 miles away so that's not bad at all. I'll take my GN trailer with me. It's a 2wd machine but has a 4n1 front bucket and extend a hoe. I have an AG dealer 20 miles away. 100 miles to the closest Construction dealer. Nowadays the Internet solves most of those issues. I'll keep you posted on any purchase. Thank you very much for your assistance!!!!!

  21. #21Delmer2018-01-05 21:20

    I've never used a 4x4 backhoe, but my 2wd gets around fine. I'm sure if I did more work on hills, or snow, then the 4wd would be nice. I've worked mine in some crazy mud that would bog an excavator or dozer immediately. You just have to know how to walk, not drive. 4wd would be no help at all once the tires are slick with mud. The other big advantage is being able to load more effectively with the front bucket, double edged sword there, you put more stress on the loader and weak front axle than I'd like. If you need a loader that big, get a loader not a backhoe, they're built for it. Are you bringing your expert to look at this one? kinda dangerous to bring the trailer and not the second opinion.

  22. #22ovrszd2018-01-06 11:28

    I've ran a lot of 2wd backhoes. 4wd is definitely an advantage but not a necessity. I have done a LOT of farm chores with a 2wd tractor. I agree concerning the front loader. Much more efficient. Much more stress on the loader. Most efficient 4wd hoe I've ever ran was my Brother's NH 115LTB. Front tires were same size as rears. 4 wheel steer. You could drive that machine nose down into a ditch, fill the bucket, back out. I've got a 95HP FWA Kubota with FEL and Grapple bucket. I am not needing a backhoe for it's front bucket prowess. Yes, Jack is planning on going with me Monday. I kinda hate to drive onto the lot pulling the GN. Makes me look "sold".....

  23. #23joe--h2018-01-14 20:14

    Did you buy something yet? Or did I miss it? Joe H