Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy scan tool, any input on experiences ?

sostahoe ยท 2025-12-26 23:34

Reviewing options for (affordable) scan tools. Open to any suggestions, input. Seeing option under$500.00. Looking at DPA5 scan tool interface for use on New Holland, 2017 C232. Any one had experience purchasing /using one of these ? I see there are software options. EST 8.6. dealer service or engineering diagnostic software V9.3 and ETimGo for service procedure support documentation. I see Multiple online sales opportunities for the hardware with and without software. It is very apparent that many offer software without factory authorized access (password hacks). There are offerings with scantool hardware and preloaded notebooks with software installed (most likely not factory authentication). Or a software source (disk/download) for using your own laptop. What would be the difficulty in installing on my own laptop, ?, instead of purchasing a pre loaded laptop ? My 1st use is on a New Holland C232, but would like to confirm options to use on other equipment, ie Case or others ? I have experience with multiple automotive scan tools. No fear , but don't want to spend $ on something that doesn't work. I also am on a limited budget, as I am not a shop, but just homesteader with a project. I am chasing a crank no start condition and dealer stung me for $1200 to clear SOME codes and left me with other new codes and still no start for my equipment. Any feedback on a scantool purchase would be appreciated. After dropping off at dealer for crank no start diagnosis. They charged me $1200.00 and I still do not have a running engine. They charged me for "diagnostics and reset codes that required a reflash". They say to continue would be $2600 too $5000 to do mechanical diagnostics on no/low compression. BUT this is probably content for another post...,

Replies10
  1. #1Mr. Wrench2025-12-27 08:26

    I don't have a lot of experience across the brands yet on what is available, but I do know this, the more you pay, the more you'll get. Meaning that if you are looking to get something cheaper, it likely won't do as much.

  2. #2sostahoe2025-12-27 11:39

    I know you get what you pay for, but I just cannot afford the $1200.00 hardware with $5000.00 software subscriptions like the dealers. That's the reason for this post... Looking for input before spending $.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2025-12-27 12:57

    I have a scanner that has new holland on it. Its usless. Buy the stollen factory software. Alot of independent guys have and it works. Personaly i have not yet for NH

  4. #4Mr. Wrench2025-12-27 17:15

    I know the feeling. Alot of the cheaper things MAYBE will read codes but usually will not do bidirectional commands very well. I came to the conclusion that I may as well take the money I put towards a cheaper one and put more with it to get a good one that will work. If I got a cheap one that did not do what I needed and then had to get a expensive one anyway then I would end up paying more than if I had just got a good one to start with. All the companies will say, "Oh ya it will do everything." If it will do a few random things but not others it is about as good as nothing. Tyler d4c may be on to something. Another thing to think about is, do you have a friend close, you could buy it together with? If you are not using it all the time maybe you could share it and the expense with someone else. I know that does not always work well with some people, but it is just a thought.

  5. #5ozarkag2025-12-27 19:38

    The blackmarket stuff mostly works, potential to be scammed is high. . . You will need Est and also Easy for engine diag. will need correct hardware to match. Self install is likely beyond most folks. You are not paying for the software ( its stolen) but to install and password defeat it. Our current course is Jaltest and Texa, both 3rd party but fully legal. I believe Diesel laptops has a rental option.

  6. #6Tony Wells2025-12-27 22:33

    I've not been terribly impressed with Diesel Laptops/Texa. I have Noregon JPro as well, and find both limited mostly to looking at things, and neither reads everything. Both have some live data but not 100%. I feel that I was misled by the rep on the Noregon on Doosan equipment. Sure....it does it all. Until I try it and then they are "working towards it". They don't even offer a cable to connect to the Doosan. I actually think the DL does better with trucks, although I have worked on many. All those non-OEM are probably compromises in the first place, so they offer what they do trying capture business from the Independents.

  7. #7Mr. Wrench2025-12-29 08:36

    I use Diesel Laptops/Jaltest. So far it has did what I needed to for the most part. I have not had it a year yet. It does seem to have more stuff on the common brands than the less popular ones. I think it is better on trucks than off highway. Off highway is what I do mostly. Probably the biggest disappointment is the wiring diagrams. They are just like generic, not labeled much or very detailed. It may be a copy right thing I'm not sure. It is aftermarket and not OEM so it looks alittle different, things aren't always called the same as OEM and there are things that you have to work around alittle bit. It probably makes you use your head more, which isn't bad. One thing I really like is it covering many brands. With OEM you would have to get some many different things and it would cost some much if you worked on alot of different brands. All and all mostly happy with it. It is alot better than nothing and has helped me fix alot of things I could not have without it, but still learning, and the jury is still out.

  8. #8MarshallPowerGen2025-12-29 11:56

    Get ready to put in some time if you go the laptop or remote install route. Prices are WAY down from what they were 10 years ago as most of the software is available online, but as OzarkAG said there is a high chance of getting scammed if you chase the lowest price. Pay a little extra to deal with someone that's not going to ask for payment through Paypal friends and family, Zelle or any other service that doesn't have protection. Shop around yourself for a Nexiq adapter if that's what you need for your machine. You'll be in $300+ for the China clone with a bunch of adapters (that may or may not work), or double that for the real thing with the OBD2 & 9-pin Deutsch. Many offering a package deal with a laptop will charge the price of the real thing and send a clone. @AristoTruckTech might have what you're looking for.

  9. #9AristoTruckTech2026-01-09 10:49

    shoot me a PM I can definitely help you out

  10. #10tool_king2026-01-14 20:24

    I have a good guy that can help you out. He installed it on my laptop .