Hey guys, looking to purchase my first skid steer. I found both of these machines for $12k with similar hours (3k). I've been researching them, and i see lots of people mention that the 90xt is a 10-12k hour machine, but i don't see anyone saying that about the s300? Is it not as long lasting of a machine? The other thing I've noticed is that most people seem to think the S300 is more nible. I looked up the dimensions, and the s300 is bigger in every direction. What makes it more nimble? Which would you rather have if they were both in identical condition? Thanks in advance, and merry Christmas! Courage
Actually can't go wrong with either one. Both arguably more reliable than any built today. One consideration might be that Case likely has hand controls, while the bobcat probably has foot control.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! That's incredible about them being more reliable than modern machines. I was sort of expecting to get something more along the lines of don't buy something that antique lol. I'm glad to hear though about the controls maybe being different.
I have owned a couple of older Bobcats (773 & 743b) they were solid, simple reliable machines. I rented a S300 for a snow clearing & stockpiling job, I was very impressed...nice smooth controls (for hand/foot) and lots of power, nice balance, longer wheelbase very stable on the steep worksite Have heard a lot of good things about the 90xt, no personal experience though. Both would be large frame machines and (if you have the work space) horsepower and weight are both really nice to have!
$12k would be cheap in my area for a true 3k hour machine. Are these machines you have seen in person, or just online ? because there are a lot of online scams floating around right now. Just be aware. Given the choice, I would take the case with hand controls.
All the 12k machines I have seen like that are all clapped out and ready to break.
Best be wary in regards to price, hard to compare to Canada but those sure do seem suspiciously low....
Oh I'll argue it, at least the Bobcat part. Having owned several 2000's model T250's, T190 and a S250 the 2 - 279D Cats I have are heads and shoulders more reliable than any of those. Still have one T250 on the yard, a 2008 model with a phantom hydraulic lock down issue. What a PITA to work on compared to a 279.
Couple of questions - What do you plan on using the machine for? As others have stated - Have you put your hands on these machines or did you find them online? Online equipment scams are billion with a " B" theft scam ran by thieves around the world.
Primary use would be moving snow on our driveway, maintaining the road. I'd like to branch my landscape maintenance business more towards either dirt work or forestry, so down the road working on other people's driveways or cleaning up property after logging. Both of those machines sold before I was able to go get them (both 3 and 6 hours away). I'm looking on Facebook marketplace. How is it a theft scam? I certainly don't want to get taken lol! I've found 3 other machines that are interesting to me. 2004 Bobcat S130 w/2,200 hours for $13k 2017 Cat 228 w/2,000 hours for $15,500 Case 40XT w/4,300 hours asking $15k, but i think there's some room for negotiations...
You've gone from looking at some of the largest wheeled machines to some of the smallest. There is a big difference in performance between a 90xt vs 40xt or S300 vs S130. I've had good luck with Case skid steers, I have a '98 Case 1845C with 5000hrs that's never had a day of downtime. The Case XT series were good machines as well. As for Bobcat, the Ingersoll Rand made machines (1995-2007) were pretty good, although later in those years things started to go down hill quality and reliability wise IMO. The 753/763/863 etc machines were good machines but things were starting to go south with the S series. I wouldn't own one of the Doosan made Bobcats. Also stay away from the John Deere 200 series, they were a clean slate design and plagued with problems. The older and newer JD's are pretty good. I'm not sure on Cat of those vintage, I have no experience with them.
I have owned a couple 95XTs that I bought new at the time, 85XT and 70XT as well. I have never owned a 90XT but have run them. The 95XT/450 is a fast cycling machine. That backhoe style linkage works well for that. They are heavy and heavy duty, with the weight and high hp you can move a lot of material with one. I loved the fast cycle times. The only down side was the relatively low ROC on the 90XT for such a big machine. The 400 series which is very similar to the XT as well may be an option. Never spent any real time in a BC 300. IF you can find a legit deal on a 90XT for 12K, that is a great deal, like others suspect, might be too good. The 40XT and 90XT are miles apart in capability. If a 40XT can do what you want, a 90XT is way more machine than you might need. If you want something a little more nimble and lighter, the 440 has the same hp as the 90XT, physically smaller and less weight. One of my all time favorite machines. The 70XT is the same size as the 440 and same hp. The 70 did not have a two speed which the 440 does.
My experience with buying stuff of FB Marketplace and occasionally CL is great deals on high dollar items will be located in nearby cities. For me it’s Boston or a lot of other places in Massachusetts. It will be a truck or equipment in great shape, low hours or miles and it’s a great price. If you look hard enough, you can usually find a duplicate add, with a different lister name and sometimes different pictures. If you look at the photos, you will find it’s the same item. Not sure what the scam is but it’s not real. I was getting aggravated looking for a truck recently and just skipped over the ones in Mass. A lot of them wanted a deposit to hold before viewing and some just were crazy. Some wanted a bank check made out, just to view it. Moral of the story is, if it sounds too good to be true, it’s probably a scam. There are good deals sometimes, just beware. I was negotiating with a guy for a backhoe, even drove through a local town where it was supposed to be located. Knew the town and the pictures showed an industrial area. Looked through all the areas, guy finally admitted (********) it was at his daughter’s, in Idaho. Blocked his number.
Agree with some of the above comments, 12k is cheap for those machines. I hear they’re gone now anyhow. I think you need to find what size machine you want, then pick a brand, then go from there. The s300 vs the s130 are complete opposite sizes, and that goes for the 90xt and 40xt as well. 90xt had a poor 2 speed system actuated by an extension cylinder that often stripped out. You can’t beat the Cummins in the xt series, but that pretty much goes for the kubota in the bobcat s100-300 series as well. I prefer bobcat myself. More space and user friendly imo. There’s just too many options out there to bounce around. Learn a size you want, then search for those. Marketplace can burn you pretty easy if you don’t know what you’re after unfortunately… what general region are you?
Very likely at that price point, you are not going to have much to choose from.