Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy this 706 International tractor

Peter23 ยท 2014-05-20 23:47

Hello there, I found this tractor for sale that I find is not bad looking and the prize seems reasonable to me. What do you think? Now the only thing I am worried about is finding a head gasket for it. I haven't searched online yet I wanted to ask here first and maybe save some time. Does anyone now how much a new head gasket would cost? Is it easy to install? Anyway, any information would be appreciated. Are these reliable tractors? Any experiences? Link is below. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equi...tor/594857055?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Replies12
  1. #11466IH2014-05-21 03:13

    They are great tractors. I have an 806. Is it gas or diesel, does the t/a work, how many hours, it looks like a Wheatland model but then again I am looking at a little pic on my phone but if it is it doesn't have a 3pt. They are really good on fuel and usually are pretty easy to maintain. The head gasket thing would scare me though. How do they know it is just a gasket? If it is just the gasket thought complete o/h kits are pretty cheap for them Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  2. #2old-iron-habit2014-05-21 12:19

    Great deal if just a head gasket. Hard to tell in the pictures but the exhaust stack looks like the smaller one used on the gas engines. If it's gas and you plan on working it be advised that you need a gas wagon following you around. They were a thirsty devil on gasoline. Local auction here in MN last fall had a clean gas model with new tires, cab, and loader fetch $7,200.00

  3. #3truckdoctor2014-05-21 21:21

    I know there are engine kits out there for that engine. I wouldn't worry about the head gasket availability. A machine shop I have dealt with in the recent past was able to get parts for many older engines.

  4. #41466IH2014-05-23 21:48

    If you are really worried about the engine there is a guy on the red power forum that makes flywheel and bellhousing adapters to install either a 4.3 or 5.9 cummins a buddy of mine is installing a 5.9 into his 806 as I type Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  5. #5RZucker2014-05-24 00:55

    Wow, an 806 with a 5.9 cummins. I was always partial to the 1206, first factory turbo Farmall. Spent some time on one in the late 70s, Had a really cool sound.

  6. #61466IH2014-05-24 01:46

    Yep here is the adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/706-1206-14...370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aca44832 I like all the all the 66 and 06 series tractors. We have a 1466 1026 806 86Hydro. I never did care for the 86 and 88 series much but 66 series is my favorite IH and the 7200 series are my favorite CaseIH Here is the red power magazine article http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73736

  7. #7RZucker2014-05-24 02:06

    Dont forget the 56 series, the 656 and 856 Hydros were pretty handy. Then there was that 1468 thing too. Been around 2 of them. I guess Im kinda lucky, the family tree had 2 major branches. Ag on one side and Construction on the other. I got to play both sides.

  8. #81466IH2014-05-24 02:15

    I have never actually been around a 56 series but i can imagine it was better than the junk deere was trying to push in those days lol. We have 3 green tractors on the whole farm and one of them is a stieger. The other two are an oliver 77 and 88. Great grandpa bought the 77 and it was the first tractor ever on the farm and the 88 was the first tractor grandpa bought when he was in high school

  9. #9wilko2014-05-25 14:15

    I guess that swap would be fine for a puller or a chrome-stack 4th of July tractor, but for a working tractor it seems like a solution in search of a problem. When the original engine can go 20k hours without being touched nothing else seems like an upgrade.

  10. #101466IH2014-05-25 22:46

    If the original was a gasser than anything is better in my opinion and if it were mine i think a 5.9 would be too big. I would go with the 4bt. A 6bt would work with some common sense but i wouldnt want to throw a set of duals on fully loaded with weights and go plowing

  11. #11wilko2014-05-26 01:15

    I was just thinking of the 361 diesel. It kind of hurt to do it, but I just sold my 806. Great machine, but it didn't get enough use and was going downhill from sitting.

  12. #121466IH2014-05-26 01:50

    I know what you mean. About the only thing mine gets used for is running a seed Wagon or putting up a little hay. I would love to restore it but I have got too many irons in the fire for that Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk