Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to get into heavy hauling

Olsckool2008 ยท 2016-11-16 08:39

I live in south central PA and am looking for some advice as to what equipment to purchase. I have been pulling flatbeds and step decks for 15 years and am looking to get into heavy hauling. I have been asking around and have been told many different things as to what to look for in equipment. First off, I have been told by many to get a Rgn stretch if I can afford one and if I can't get as close to a 30ft we'll as I can find. Also, I've been told to go with at least three axles, some are telling me get a 4th flip or a booster. Next, some say get a drop side for the lower deck height and others say a flat deck with no more than 20in ride height. I figure I live in a decent area to haul equipment, Got Volvo, JLG, Cleveland Brothers in Murrysville, Annville, And Letterkenny. Also there are two places that make tanks, steel tanks west of me and fiberglass tanks east of me. I have my own authority also, so guys told me they bid jobs by the hour and others by the mile. Those that bid by the hour said base your time on an average of 45mph. What's the best way and about how much do you charge on an average load? I know a lot depends on how wide high and heavy a load is. Lastly, I was told to steer towards new or newer equipment with very little use. Quite a few guys told me be very careful of used equipment. Heavy hauling is very strenuous on equipment. Also, most everyone said get some type of sleeper on the truck even if it's a small one. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1fast_st2016-11-16 10:43

    well, as to paying road fees, I'd stick with a tandem axle and a jeep if needed, that way you're not paying for extra axles you're not using, Also if you can get lift axles for when you're unloaded. Ideally, look at what your customers need and spec your equipment based on that, also you can make yourself available for the big auction houses as buyers need to get things moved somehow.

  2. #2Junkyard2016-11-16 19:13

    Starting out you need to focus in one area and get that established then move to others or you'll end up with too many trailers or at least end up wanting too many. Good four axle truck, good 55-60 ton three axle lowboy with a spreader and 4th axle is the best place to start. I wouldn't do a drop side for your first trailer, stretch trailer is too heavy empty to scale a good load on 7 or 8 axles when you don't need the length, low deck height means shorter beams which means thicker flanges which means it's heavier. 26' well and 8 axles will move a lot of different yellow iron if that's your primary focus. Every, and I mean every option comes with a downside. I could write a how to on heavy haul. From equipment to rates to insurance requirements, escorts all of it. Tons to figure out before you pull the trigger IMO. Junkyard

  3. #3movindirt2016-11-16 19:49

    A flat deck will allow you to haul more diverse loads than a drop side, anything from equipment to pallets as you have one level deck. I would call some people and see what they need trucking for, if you're staying 30 tons and less for most of your work then that will show you what kind of rig you need.