Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to get my crane cert. and was looking for some info.

BigBird ยท 2014-09-08 12:53

Hello Everybody. I haven't been on here in awhile but you all popped into my head today. I am a Local 800 Member(out of WY) who lives here in South Carolina, I would like to transfer into Local 470 here, so I can work a little closer to home and be around my kids more. I've been a Pipeliner for 20 yrs and have always loved traveling but I'm ready to be at home more if I can. The best way to get in to this Local is to get my Crane Cert's. Does anyone on here have any tips or pointers to getting it done? I've done some checking and there are the classes I can go to, but I'd prefer to do it the most efficient way I can. And what are the steps that I need to take first? Anybody who has done this in SC or thru Local 470, I'd like to hear from you all too. The hall does them here but they don't have any scheduled. Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2014-09-10 08:57

    There couple of things I can comment on. Your last sentence says a lot," The hall does them here but they don't have any scheduled.". That tells me they most likely have crane operators on the out of work list. Lets say you go somewhere and get certified, will the union accept that certificate or reject it ? They may have Local 470 members waiting to get in their training program if and when it opens up. Until you can get transferred into 470 I would think your chances of getting in that program are zero. Would you be willing to be dispatched to operate machines other than the ones used in the pipeline industry ? I know how it is in Local 150 Chicago, so I can't help you with Local 470 other than bring to mind what you need to do. You need to talk to one of their business agents to get the information you need. If they have an apprenticeship program coordinator that may be the person to contact. Do it in person. Phone calls and emails won't get much help.

  2. #2Carloscthomas2014-09-10 09:05

    hello

  3. #3thepumpguysc2014-09-10 18:00

    Try "Limehouse & sons" in Ladson.. Big crane operation in Ladson[Summerville].. they'll set you straight.. As a matter of fact, they're hireing.. Just a hop, skip and a jump away from Elloree.. takes me an hr each way..[each day]