Found a 72" versatech bucket without a bolt on edge for $500. I want to weld some teeth on. Is this the style tooth and shank i need? I feel like i need 10 for this size bucket is that standard? http://bit.ly/1emFjGj They seem to be reasonably priced at $26 each. I only put 200 hrs on the skid a year, maybe 50 of them would have this bucket on. Its mostly for ripping crumbled asphalt, digging out compacted base, shredding lawns and roots for sod prep and some grading. We dont have much rock here at all
I think you wold be better off with a shank design that does not go below the cutting edge. Something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKID-STEER-...324-with-Bolts-Case-New-Holland-/310771042658
Those are cheaper too! Should i bolt them and also weld them? The other tooth bucket i borrowed snapped both corner teeth off and the others were loose
Bolt on adapters are typically iron, don't take welding very well. If you bolt them on, first of all the cutting edge is very hard, not easy to drill. Holes have to be precise, not torch cut, or bolts will come loose. You're better off with a weld on adapter like an H&L 230FM. http://catalog.romacparts.com/item/h-l-/h-l-assemblies/230-fm-assy
True, the bottom is countersunk as well. Are those more since the shanks are steel? I dont need the best tooth money can buy
Don't know the cost, like others, just throwing some ideas out there for you. This is a very common tooth/adapter used on mini excavator and skid steer buckets.
look on ebay for x156 series teeth for a mini-ex.
search for Hensley style x156 tooth adapter on ebay. you will need about 8 teeth and adapters to complete a bucket. weld on will probably be the easiest. an x156 style tooth is the same one that is on my takeuchi tb135 mini ex buckets, and are perfect for a skid steer application. I want to put some on my 80" 4in1 Midwestern bucket sometime. I put nine 230 series teeth on my case w20c 2.5 cubic yard wheel loader. 230 series is usually what you see on most tractor backhoes. I think the 230 series would be much too large for a skid steer.
I put 230 series teeth on my 60 inch versa tech every 10 inches and welded the shanked smooth with the bottom and live it. The 230's I got cheap they are big but work just fine.
Thanks for the tip. Order two kits of these and be set. Free shipping too. Comes out to $20/tooth and shank http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181279626946?lpid=82 Who knew teeth would cost half as much as the bucket?! Good thing i will probably never have to replace them Appreciate everyones responses. Hopefully i can scoop up the bucket in the beginning of the week
Desertwheeler any pics or review of your versatech? Ive seen the name around but cant find a manufacturer website and i want to make sure im not welding $250 in teeth to a $500 piece of tin foil
I have pictures just not in my phone right now. It is a thin bucket. If I used it everyday I would buy a better bucket. It is a lot lighter than my 60" cat bucket. For the price I like it and it works just fine. For your application I think it will be just fine. I'll try to snap a picture in the morning.
Just stay away from the bolt on teeth and the rolled pin type shanks, you'll thank yourself in the future. I absolutely hate the rolled pin retainers.
Is my most recent link good? I dont know much about the different types of retainers
Your link is good. The 230s ATCO listed are very nice I have used them and they work well. I also use 8 on a 6ft bucket.
I have used case backhoe shanks and teeth.
Sorry took so long. Last up is a size comparison to and x156 tooth for my backhoe.
Looks good, thanks desertwheeler. Trying to get the bucket this week. Thats the versatech? Seems heavy enough
Yup 60" versatech. Only part I wish was different on it is I wish it had higher sides and a bit longer bottom for a higher capacity, it is easily stuffed. But I'm keeping my eye out for a used 66" long bottom or 72".
Do you think it could benefit from a set of those wide teeth that mount to the sides of the bucket?
Like a side cutter or flare tooth on the end? I'm not sure, I'm happy with the way it digs now.