Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to purchase a case 1150B with issue won’t move forward on right side

tfe2005 ยท 2016-06-21 02:02

I am looking at purchasing my friends 1150b case but it's acing an issue and I want to make sure it's not going to be to hard to fix before I decide to purchase. The left side functions as it should and the right side moved in reverse but it will not pull forward at all. Any ideas of what I might need to check or where to start? I am a machinist with some mechanical and hyd. skills as I do work in a shop that makes valves for some of the big oem equipment manufacturers but I have never really been around a dozer other than just watching one operator or opersting someone else just short periods of time. I really could use the dozer for the farm just don't want to get burned my first time around as I plan to buy it use it a year or so and sell it once finished with my projects.

Replies11
  1. #1alrman2016-06-21 19:09

    Welcome to HEF tfe2005! Could be any number of causes for this, some of which will take alot of time & money to fix. Does it lose transmission pressure when you engage forward right? Any difference in pressure in low or high range? Brake pedals both feel the same? The oil control rings for FWD/REV on the RH shaft should be inspected - at the rear of the transmission. You may need to drop the oil & check the suction screen, as this is a good tell tale if anything catastrophic has happened to it.

  2. #2Greg Sanders2017-02-01 17:36

    Ha! I must be looking at the same dozer as you! I'm going to look at it Friday. I'd be interested to know if you found out anything what repairs are needed.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2017-02-01 20:23

    The original poster has never posted again after his June, 2016 post. His message count is still at 1. Don't hold your breath. Just had a thought. Maybe its him selling it this time?

  4. #4davo7272017-02-01 20:50

    Maybe I ll drive up there and buy it tomorrow.....

  5. #5Greg Sanders2017-02-02 00:16

    Oh never thought of that Old Iron, could be him selling it now. davo727 let me know if you get it so I don't waste any fuel. On a serious note, what do y'all think it could be: Left side works fine, Right side has reverse but won't pull forward? The seller says it needs a driveshaft?? Sounds like it would have to be internal transmission problem to me.....

  6. #6davo7272017-02-02 01:18

    Sorry was just being a smart alek.

  7. #7Shimmy12017-02-02 02:07

    I second what alrman said 8 months ago. There are multiple possibilities for what's wrong, from fairly simple to rather costly. I think the first thing you should check is that the track lever is moving the spool properly. Have you made sure that high and low both work when moving it in reverse? Maybe it's just "coasting" when you move in reverse and it's just not engaging?

  8. #8Greg Sanders2017-02-02 16:46

    All the linkage is good to spool and it looks to be moving the same distance as the left side. I'll check reverse in high and low tomorrow. I think I'm to the point of gambling on the right side drive problem, I just need to make darn sure there are no other problems lurking in addition to the drive.

  9. #9Greg Sanders2017-02-02 16:59

    Is this a problem that is easily noticed? Or do I need to get some measurements to see if this is happening?

  10. #10davo7272017-02-05 17:48

    So hows this deal going?

  11. #11Greg Sanders2017-02-05 18:54

    Didn't go well, the torsion linkage is badly worn. The main drive shaft was missing? The machine hadn't ran in 2 years. Scared me off. Too many unknowns. Definitely worth the money, its just too big of a project for me.