Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to purchase D8k

ippielb ยท 2014-03-30 21:27

New here, I live on a farm, and I have been working in construction for 5 years so far, want to start myself a business. Looking at purchasing a piece of heavy equipment for this, and then move on to more. There is two pot ash mines that are going to be going up in my area locally and want to get on the ball before it's too late. There is a 1977 D8k for sale, they want $28,000 for it. Here's a link to the dozer. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipment/regina/cat-d8k/569381073?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true I have a few questions, i have read that they have cracking head problems if pushing on steep grades that the water will go to one side, and when you flatten out the coolant cold shocks the head? And with the transmission sucking air and becoming a run away, but that is remedied by adding an extra 5 gallon pail of fluid tthe transmission. Is there anything else one should know about these older units? Other then they are one of the best units you can buy? What about transportation? I will need to move the unit quite often, i have access to a 500+ horsepower kenworth that is set up for wide loads, but no trailer. What kind of trailer is best? I watched this video and it looks like the lower the trailer the better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bln7BiWFBK0 Tri axle trailer is a must probably with weight of the dozer. Was looking at this trailer http://www.llequipment.ca/portfolio...x96-well-12-outriggers-spring-ride-21000-tr39 and this trailer http://www.llequipment.ca/portfolio/1995-k-line-50ton-tandem-lowbed-air-ride-24000 Let me know what everyone thinks.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies21
  1. #1GregD12014-03-30 22:44

    I`ve never heard of this head crack problem. If the cooling system is full, as it should be, where would the air come from when on a slope ? I have had the transmission oil starve problem. If I remember right, the pickup is on the bottom front and when on a steep slope, it can go below the suction level. I don`t know about the 5 gallon over fill, but yes that is the cure. I`m also looking at pretty much junk pads and probably rails. Why is the ripper chained up ? Could it have anything to do with the cylinders leaking and some hoses needing replaced ? The D8-K was the next machine series after the 46-A and In my days of working on them was a step backwards from the 46-A, not an improvement. Not being a truck mechanic, I`ll leave that to the truck experts. I`m thinking the price is a bit high for the repairs I`m seeing.

  2. #2Bob/Ont2014-03-30 23:06

    The Head Crack problem is more of a problem with the liner flange seat drooping and the head gasket blowing. The block can be repaired. They are a Good Tractor, get SOS done of all oils. Later Bob

  3. #3ippielb2014-03-30 23:09

    A guy locally told me that the head crack problem, i do not know if it's true or not. I found it was hard to believe myself as i wouldn't think there would be any air pockets in the cooling system. I was looking at that d8k as it is affordable, has a cab, and a ripper. Most units are $40,000+. I have only ran a D8T, i would like to be able to afford one of the newer units but you have to start somewhere. Basically i want something that has a cab for heat in winter, a ripper preferably the large single, to be able to run weeping tile for drainage in fields.

  4. #4ippielb2014-03-30 23:14

    Sorry, unable to edit my last post, but here are tow other units that i was looking at that have cabs, but as you can see the price is 50% more, and it doesn't have a ripper, but overall looks to be a nicer unit, although smaller. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipm...-21/544188321?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

  5. #5Bob/Ont2014-03-30 23:39

    Beware of a money pit. The expensive machines may have more work done on them. Later Bob

  6. #6tctractors2014-03-31 02:17

    The water story is rubbish on the K, the over fill on the trans would be around that amount, CAT recomend a 10% over fill for safety when working on very steep angles, to earn any coins with heavy tractors you need to keep off steep banks if possible, the heads can crack due to many reasons, blocked (pegged up) oil coolers, blocked rads, running out of fuel etc, Komatsu iron does the same tricks but cost double to repair, the D85 is a nice little tractor but not very common to see about, a rare beast that might cause a drama. tctractors

  7. #7ILLICEMAN2014-03-31 08:17

    Pay now or pay later.A machine down costs it is not paying.

  8. #8pf/l2014-03-31 10:57

    Not to discourage you but if you show up inexperienced with a almost 40 year old crawler you're not to likeley to get hired on unless you've got friends in high places. If you know you've for work for it I would strongly sudjest in looking for something that shows good as well as works good. Sometimes showing up to a job with something shiny is worth as much as something that will work all day long. I went through some of the same ideas here with the hydro dam project but eventually it just fell through again. Did manage to get a little bit of work in. Keiwit sure did pay good. Was a shame it didn't go through.

  9. #9d9gdon2014-03-31 11:41

    The ROPS has been cut out to make clearance for the hydraulic cylinders to pivot on that Kelly ripper. A mine and MSHA will not allow that, nor will they allow it to be welded back in place.

  10. #10pf/l2014-03-31 12:08

    Forgot on weight you will be borderline with a tridem trailer and a D8K loaded. Secondary roads and summer weights will likely push you over your legal weight. With that ripper I'm gona say you'll be over regardless..

  11. #11wrangler2014-03-31 16:10

    I live 3 miles from the new BHP mine site north of Jansen,Sask.Any of the older machines that are used on the site had to be equipped with exhaust scrubbers to meet emissions.The machines are also washed down and checked for leaks before they are allowed to be on the site.I would be of the opinion that you would have a hard time getting that old of a machine on a mine site,but you may want to contact the earth moving contractors to find out before purchasing a piece of iron.

  12. #12Check Break2014-03-31 23:47

    That cab is shop built. Its not CAT. May not have heat. Someone worked on the heads in the past.

  13. #13ippielb2014-04-01 00:39

    Thank you for the comments, looking at it again after doing more research this wouldn't be a smart move right now. I agree with the good looking unit comment. If it looks good they assume it will work the part as well. In my location it's hard to find fair priced equipment, and without the guarantee of steady long term work I wouldn't be able to make the payments on a newer unit. This is why I joined this forum, i've been reading it for a while, and I knew I would get a direct answer.

  14. #14ippielb2014-04-01 00:52

    Although this d6 is very nice and would only need a tandem axle. http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...eavy-equipment-D6R-LGP-Cat-W0QQAdIdZ579540210

  15. #15Karl Robbers2014-04-01 03:42

    Bloody oath! Well spotted. I saw the galvanised plumbing fitting on the ripper hydraulics, but I didn't see that. There are a few things on that machine that suggest a neanderthal has been allowed to play with it.

  16. #16pf/l2014-04-01 10:37

    I looked at the one site south and east of humboldt that they are looking at building the one site. There is a pile of dirt to move there to make that half section level and sloped to controll the water. Will be a pretty massive project if it goes through. It will take allot of equipment to get er done. Try and make some contacts if you can and take it from there. I know where you're coming from as I've gone through the same thing. It is tough to buy equipment on speculation. If that 6r is in good shape it wouldn't be to bad. I'd prefer a angle blade myself though. You would be borderline again though on a tandem axle. Any secondary roads you'd be overweight.

  17. #17nontypical92014-04-02 21:33

    Swtractor.com has a killer 8k for sale right now....would almost give a kidney up for it....but not quite....I still need help peeing out Bud Light.....73k

  18. #18Buckethead2014-04-03 18:35

    I never heard of slope work cracking a D8K cylinder head. And I know they were run on slopes. A contractor I worked for told us to always let them idle down a few minutes before shutting them off to prevent cylinder head damage. (I always try to let any machine idle before shutting down anyway.)

  19. #19nicky 68a2014-04-05 12:14

    stay away from it.It will bankrupt you. It would proably need 20k on tracks at least 20k on engine,torque and tranny to strip ,reseal,rebearing and put a few bits in to make it reliable. Final drives and steering clutches run into 5k to just look at them.They can cost another 20k in the blink of an eye. 2k on a lick of paint after shotblasting and some genuine Cat decals. 1k on repairing the leaking rams. And don't forget 1k on the bill for all the beer you'll start drinking to calm your frayed nerves........then there is the cost of a divorce when your wife throws you out because of all the time you'll spend lying on your back with your new mistress.You get the picture. It makes 80k for a low houred ex army D8K a good buy.That would go to work relatively trouble free. I have 9 of these D8's over the years and haven't got rich on them but do ok.The best point of a D8H or K that if you spend money on them with the right fitter they will allways make you money when you sell them.Any Komatsu dozer in our country over 5 or 6 years will cost stupid money when they break,you can't get parts for them and they have a naff resale value.Stick to Cat.

  20. #20nicky 68a2014-04-05 12:17

    I forgot to add that I am still happily married to the same wife and mother to my children That's because she doesn't really know how much 'old yellow junk' I actually have

  21. #21ippielb2014-04-10 19:50

    All good points everyone I have turned away from the d8k and the komatsu, I'm still looking for a low hour CAT machine, although I am keeping my eyes open for John Deere units as well. My JD dealer is too notch, between our agricultural machinery and hopefully the construction side is the same. My dad is saying he would find the loader better, only because the he would get to play with it on the farm.