Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to purchase skid steer.

James Jefferson ยท 2022-04-09 21:05

Hi I'm looking to purchase a skid steer in the next 2 months. My price range is 25k. My uses will be around house and farm usage can anyone tell me or have any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1phil3142022-04-10 07:51

    Since you said skid steer, I'm assuming you mean wheels and not tracks. Decide if you want a radial lift or vertical lift. Radial lift is cheaper, better for working at low lift heights, dirt work, plowing, etc. Vertical lift is more expensive, but better for higher up, loading trucks, etc Unless you know hydraulics and electronic and are mechanical, then choose a brand with a good dealer near you. Having a good dealer support is important for service, parts and information. After that, figure out how much lift you are going to need. More always seems to be better here. And also how new a machine you are looking at. All mechanical vs computers. Older than 2012 or so, will be pre emission, which is good. Simpler and less expensive. I'm sure others will add more.

  2. #2bad Tom2022-04-10 10:14

    Phil has good information. One thing to think about how much lift to get, remember is the larger the machine is, the longer the wheelbase is and more damage to your yard when you turn the machine around. I go along with getting "a little larger" than you need at this time.

  3. #3KSSS2022-04-10 13:25

    There are many options to consider on a skid steer purchase and I think it is a good idea to line out what you would like to have and prioritize it. The reason for prioritization is 25K may buy some of what you want but may not buy all of what you want. When you find something your interested in, that hits some or all of what is important post it here and guys will chime in.

  4. #4Aceofspades2022-04-10 14:10

    Whatever you get, expect to spend a few $k in the months following your purchase, fixing problems as you run the machine and they make themselves evident. Paying cash for something is nice, but if you buy a machine in that price range, it costs more that just fuel to operate it. At least that's been my experience. Good luck!

  5. #5muddog19752022-04-12 06:41

    If it was me I would look for pre emissions machine, any and all leaks( cylinders pumps,drives,engine,coolant), broken welds or damage, pin and bushing wear, Fresh paint! Repaired wiring. Repairs add up fast. As said before 25k gets you a machine but plan on putting more $ money into it to make it reliable. I would also run the machine to get it to operating temperature and verify that all functions work. Check all fluid levels. Good luck, let us know what you get!

  6. #6Rob Gunn2022-04-12 15:18

    If your not sure what you need or want then maybe rent a few different units to "Get the feel"?

  7. #7CM19952022-04-12 19:30

    Welcome to the Forums JJ!

  8. #8ThreeCW2022-04-12 23:08

    A few questions to consider when shopping for a skid steer: - Main use for the machine? - Ground conditions? - How many hours per year do you expect to put on? - What lift capacity do you require? Once you can define the above, you can start comparing different makes and models. Note that the tracked machines are great for their intended use but also come with MUCH higher annual costs due to undercarriage maintenance and replacement. Here are a few links that might help you before you get started shopping machines: HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums We have had two skids steers on our small farm where the primary use has been round bale handling, snow removal and general loader use ... done some backfilling and moving a bit of dirt around, but not any heavy dirt work. Typical use is 75 to 100 hours per year. We started with a New Holland LS160 - 1600 lb lift machine ... it worked well for us but was a little light in the lift capacity for heavier bales. I wanted a heated cab so we now have a CAT 242B - 2000 lb lift machine, which also does a good job on most round bales and is much nicer in our winters.

  9. #9gwhammy2022-04-13 18:38

    You are probably going to get in the early 2000's at that price depending on what size machine you get. All the advise above is good advice. I've had skid steers for over 40 years now, some were trouble free, some made a great tax write off till I got rid of them. I'd shoot for the 75 hp range, they will do a lot more work than the smaller machines. Probably stay away from anything with electric over hydraulic controls. Either type of boom is probably fine.

  10. #10Aceofspades2022-04-13 21:46

    Also, I got my machine about a year ago. It's a 2014. I finally (I think) got all the bugs worked out of it. I got it with ~1300 hours on it. I'm about to put new tracks on it, and after I do that, I'll have in it what you budgeted (buying it, fixing the problems, putting new tracks on it). Just a data point for you. I pine for a mini x, but if you aren't afraid of a shovel, there is a lot you can do with a (traked) skid steer. Even after all the headaches, I'm really happy I got mine. Again, good luck!