Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl 3610 drive chain tensioner.

Hardlyworking ยท 2022-04-08 15:57

I have a 80's Gehl 3610 not sure exact year but I think 86. I'm trying to change the spindle bearings and seals. I started last fall and after a failed attempt the skid steer died and got shoved to the side. I have one front corner done, by just unbolting the hub, rocking the whole assembly back then I was able to reach in with a bar and flip the chain off. Then onto the back... I tried to do the same thing but I can't get it to rock forward enough to get enough slack on the chain, I seem to remember I may have on one attempt but then couldn't reach into the chain... I assume there has to be a tensioner I can loosen to get some slack to get the chain off the sprocket? There is a bolt between the two tires sitting vertical, I tried loosening that last summer when I broke a link on the drive chain but it didn't seem to do anything.

Replies2
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-04-09 14:55

    I don't know anything about youe ss. But I found the parts manual. Perhaps you already have it. There is nothing in the owners manual other than how to change the oil. So, the chain adjustment procedure is prolly in the service manual. Is there any chance that there is a master link in those chains ?

  2. #2Hardlyworking2022-04-10 16:29

    Yes I already have that, thanks though. I got it off... Not sure it's the correct way but if it is what a royal PITA... Had to take everything apart, the front spindle back out, the center adjuster has a second plate on the inside of the body need to lift the cab and reach way down... Unbolt that then I had to pull the center shaft which let the center gears and bearings fall then I had to wrestle the back out from the brakes... Still haven't re assembled not sure how that's going to go.. Waiting on more found broken parts... arggghh really hating this thing haha.