Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to start a career

Grantlagasse ยท 2014-11-15 19:36

Hi all, I came to this forum to get some opinions. Ever since I was young I was fascinated by heavy equipment. As of now I'm attending a technical college for an associates degree in diesel technology. I've recently decided diagnosing and repairing trucks/equipment isn't for me. I'm torn between pursuing a career in welding or operating. I just don't know where to start getting into the industry of operating. I've looked online at a few operating schools and they all seem to be about $12k for a training program and cdl. I was so seeing if anyone has any advise on taking one of these programs. Are they really worth the money? Rip off? The one that caught my intrest was "HCA" in New Hampshire. Also where's a good area to search for well paying busy jobs around the country? Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Replies14
  1. #1Mike L2014-11-15 21:11

    I read an article a while back about the shortage of welders in the u.s. Basically it said that an 18 year old kid could go to welding school for 2 years and start out making around 80k a year. I don't know of any operator starting out at that much $. Here in Texas there is a shortage of welders, operators, and mechanics. Operators are the lowest paid of the 3. Money's not everything. Do what makes you happy. Oh and welcome to hef.

  2. #2Grantlagasse2014-11-15 21:29

    Yea I've been reading all over about the demand. Unfortunately 2 more years of school and loans will kill me. I wouldn't mind it but I'm already balls deep in loans. I'm guessing this is the pipeline you're talking about?

  3. #3Mike L2014-11-15 21:42

    I'm talking about the eagle ford shale in south Texas. Oil field and pipeline work. I assume you can already weld to some degree? May be able to find and outfit that will train you. South Dakota is also booming and if the keystone pipeline ever starts, we'll all have more work than we can handle.

  4. #4theironoracle2014-11-15 21:45

    go to craiglist.com in areas you would like to live and work, under jobs find "skilled trades" apply for any job that suits what your looking for or that may be a way into the job you want and go to work! If your a good employee, work hard and work smart any good company will train you and you should be in the exact job you want in less than 5 years. IMHO 2 years of school only replaces 2 years of work without the debt....TIO

  5. #5Grantlagasse2014-11-15 21:52

    Thanks guys. So should I look further into an operator school? And I do have some experience with welding. I took a 6 week course on it

  6. #6clintm2014-11-15 22:07

    what did TIO say about school ... like MikeL said do what makes you happy and do your best and have patience and take pride in your work. if you love what you do you will be good at it

  7. #7Grantlagasse2014-11-15 22:48

    Does anyone know if there's good money in logging? I've been interested in that for some time also

  8. #8Mike L2014-11-16 06:58

    IMO I would stay out of the logging business. There's more money to be made in other markets with way more stability.

  9. #9Grantlagasse2014-11-16 12:35

    Yea that makes sense. I could see logging being unsteady. How about mining and working in quarry's in the West Virginia area? I've always liked that area

  10. #10dozerman4002014-11-18 14:51

    Welcome Grantlagassa, Williston, North Dakota needs workers. Look up cnn.com Reporter Lisa Ling "this town has lowest unemployment". People went there from out of state and got jobs in one day. Use the skills you have to get in and work hard. Play nice with the local people in town, they may know where you can learn to operate heavy equipment out there. I actually worked in Williston back in 1981 for the summer. To this day they were the nicest people I ever saw, everyone waved to you as you drove past them. OR try an get in with a excavating co. as a labor, watch the operators and learn all you can. Good luck

  11. #11Xsd2014-11-20 16:07

    This has been on my mind aswell. I'm looking at jumping into ATS Crane school for my quick education and certifation. I finally got 5 long and painful years as an OTR flatbed driver and want to take out a lone for the school. Like someone said theirs seems to be 2 ways of getting your foot in the door. By finding some places on ads that will train us or the schooling route. Wielding is also something I see myself doing in five or so years also. I know Holburt is a good school for that.

  12. #12Grantlagasse2014-11-21 13:50

    Yea I'm already paying a whole bunch of money for an associates degree now. Idk what kinda loans I'll be able to get after this

  13. #13Xsd2014-11-21 15:14

    I know of you chip at it and have your BA you can become a supervisor in time. But where talking 20yrs of eating **** first. I'm in the same boat. F-it

  14. #14Grantlagasse2014-11-22 23:56

    I'd like to get a bachelors but I probably wouldn't pass any of the classes haha