Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What to wear; concrete labor

CMRyan ยท 2014-11-18 21:06

Short background about me: I'm finishing up my BS in construction management. I have no industry experience, and I know now is the time to get it. I got hired by a company that does their own concrete/form work, and I'll be working as a laborer. I don't know exactly what to expect, but I'm excited to build up my resume a bit. I'll be working of course in the sun, and intense heat (good ol' Miami, FL). Can you guys recommend a good pair of reasonably priced boots (steel toe?) that would be good for this purpose? I have an old pair of boots that seriously need to be upgraded, so i'm prepared to dish out a few bucks if its worth it. Also, in general, what clothing do you all find the most comfortable? dry fit shirts? I feel kind of silly calling my employer and asking these questions. So figure I'd ask people that know from experience what to wear and what not to, particularly in hot weather. Other than that, anyone actually work or have worked as a concrete laborer and could elaborate on your typical job duties? When I asked about that in the interview, they were relatively vague and just said things like prying out nails, boards, cleaning. I regret that I didn't ask for more information after that response, but I didn't want to sound unsatisfied with their answer.

Replies6
  1. #1Deere500a2014-11-18 22:20

    Couple of months ago short of hands,I got to play with the mud.lightweight long sleeve shirt,safety glasses,& cheap gloves worked good for me. Good hd rubber gloves (tanker/dishwasher use) a stiff brush for cleaning the trowels/tools in the wheel borrow with water. A good heavy hammer & lineman pliers help too. Good luck

  2. #2old-iron-habit2014-11-18 22:30

    Sounds like they are sting you on the striping crew. Removing and getting the forming material ready for the next pour. Best advice I can give you is not to pry to hard on green edges and chip them if pulling forms early. Pay attention, listen, ask questions, show sincere interest, and you will be fine.

  3. #3td25c2014-11-18 22:51

    As far as clothing in hot weather I like loose fitting button up short sleeve shirts & cargo / pocket pants . Also wear a good hat to keep the sun from baking what few brain cells I have left . I never could get used to steel toe boots , wife usually grabs a pair of Bramha work boots at Wallmart for me for about 60 bucks . I like them . Typical job duties ? Lay out job , make grade , set forms , hang & tie rebar , place & screed it down and finish . Allot to list but that's the basics . Follow the lead guy & do what they tell ya to do and stay hydrated in that hot humid climate of Miami Florida . Best of luck with it CMRyan .

  4. #4AlldayRJ2014-11-18 23:18

    Mostly commercial of residential? Flat work or walls foundations etc? I love my redwings. If you end up on the pour crew get your own pair of rubber boots and put some doctor scholls in em. Sounds like you will be on cleanup crew like stated above but do a good job and ask to get the the install crew. You can really learn a rare skill forming and pouring. I got my bs in const mgmt also from RWU. Where do you go to school ?

  5. #5CMRyan2014-11-19 01:20

    Thanks for the responses! The job I'll be working on is a new cancer center at a hospital. their florida division deals primarily with healthcare. I've heard of redwings, but theyre a bit out of my price range for the moment ($120 is most i can spend for boots). I am attending FIU by the way. Also, I was thinking long sleeve dry sweat long sleeve shirts, my pasty white skin doesn't fair well under the sun.

  6. #6digger242j2014-11-19 05:53

    Not to scare you into being overly cautious, but read this thread before you start: If you're aware of the potential, it might save you some heartache. And good luck on your career. :thumbsup