Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looks like I will be buying a new forklift

MarineGal · 2025-07-31 20:01

Looks like I will be buying a new forklift. The one I have is a money pit and is wore out. Blew a hydraulic hose out of it the other day making a trip to get a new hose made plus $100.00 on hydraulic fluid. From the 1970s and finding things it needs that will cost me money. The engine is tired and burning oil. I got my money out of it buying it used 10 years ago. All I use it for is take out engines in semi trucks doing engine swaps and move vehicles in the shop also moving things around. I am looking at Caterpillar and Ausa. I like the Caterpillar and did not like the price quote I got, more than I want to spend. I like the Ausa since it has a Kubota diesel in it since I have Kubota equipment which has been good to me

Replies7
  1. #1Vetech632025-07-31 21:05

    When do you have time to bake cookies?

  2. #2MarineGal2025-07-31 21:17

    I don't

  3. #3willie592025-07-31 21:53

    I'm guessing you're talking about a warehouse type forklift, hard tires, small and compact vertical mast forklift. Cat, which is Mitsubishi, is hard to beat. Well built machines with the Cat parts network behind them, one of the best parts networks out there.

  4. #4Coaldust2025-07-31 22:00

    It’s a good time to purchase. T$ will let you Section 179 a new or used lift truck in 2025 and do a 40% bonus depreciation, on top.

  5. #5TD242025-08-03 17:29

    Seeking new or used?

  6. #6Tyler d4c2025-08-03 17:46

    May i recomend a jlg whatever model these are. Will pick 5000 and go off roading. Probably a bit more costly tho

  7. #7treemuncher2025-08-03 21:46

    I picked up a brand new Doosan 6K lift last year as a leftover. I had rented a 5K Doosan for a couple days just prior to that as my old unit had engine problems. That rental made me start looking for a good lift in earnest. The only thing that I did not like was they did not have any leftovers in dual fuel configuration so I had to live with propane. Not a big deal. I refill my own tanks from my 500 gal unit. $30k with tax and delivery to my shop for a new unit was a great deal when those with thousands of hours still bring $20k+. I only put on 13 hours in a year's use so far but it was a great investment. I should have purchased a newer or better one 20 years ago. The forklift is one of the most underated tools in my shop. What I purchased replaced my old Hyster 6K with hard tires. The new lift with the larger, gravel friendly tires have not let me get stuck yet, even in wet, sloppy ground conditions. I lost count of how many times that I towed out the old Hyster. The new sideshift is another great option that gets used all of the time. Yesterday and today have kept the lift busy disassembling my Lamtrac to get to the engine. I would not be able to do this work as easily nor under cover with an excavator.