I have a bucket with Esco V39 teeth. How much play is acceptable in the teeth? I can loosely wiggle them up and down. But the shanks still have a nice twisted profile. I bought the bucket used so I've never experienced how they are new. I'll be changing the teeth + pins shortly but I highly doubt the new ones will be much tighter. I've got the bucket in the shop so thinking maybe build the shanks up with a welder till the teeth fit tight. What are your thoughts?
My experience with Esco Super V is with both teeth and adapters clean the teeth will have some movement upon installation. Once you start digging the fines will fill between the tooth and adapter and tighten things up. And maybe it's possible, but I've never seen a Super V tooth fall off, one of the best tooth systems out there even though they can be a bit spendy compared to something like Cat J series which are a dime a dozen.
40 odd years ago Esco had a publication on how to rebuild tooth shanks. From a very fuzzy memory it involved using hard facing rods and putting dots of weld on the shank then grinding down to make the boot fit.
I'm no operator, but as a tech I have never really seen them tight on initial install. Like willie said...………..the fines will cramp pack any gap and in no time they will feel like they are welded on.
To add to what the others are saying here, if your digging in water, the water will in turn wash the fines out of your teeth causing the teeth to loosen up as well.
The teeth are likely a long ways from falling off, measuring at the tips of the worn teeth I can rock them up and down about 0.75". I'm just the type that likes things nice and tight, but it seems less important in this case. Whatever the previous owner did with the bucket, the teeth are definitely not packed with fines.. Hopefully once I start using the bucket they will get tight. Thanks for your replies.
The place to look at is the grove where the lock pin slides through. if that gets to wide the locks will get out and you will loose a tooth. I had to do a little welding a grinding on my bucket to get them to stay put. Not bad work just a little tedious. The locks should not pound in super easy. Should have some resistance. Steve
My situation is different, as my teeth are ESCO 30S. When mine are loose and fines get in them, they put too much pressure on the lock and retainer and the rubber gets destroyed quickly. I spent 8 hrs welding the shanks and then grinding to get a good tight, zero movement fit. I then built up behind them and hardfaced that area to create a dam that would not allow fines between shank and tooth. 400 hrs later they are still tight (and my work is not in sand - shale and clay).
A good job well done. A bit of old cutting edge welded onto the top of the shank just behind the tooth helps heaps to keep the teeth on as well.
So here's my final report on the bucket. The V39 adapters were worn at the rear point where the tooth ends. The teeth hade worn a slight depression into the adapters from rocking back and forth. The locking pin area also had some wear. Our shop guys hard faced these areas and now the teeth are nearly tight with very slight play. I think doing this in time is a lot easier than replacing the adapters. Thanks for all the replies.