Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loose Extendahoe Padding material

Seananamous ยท 2018-04-22 16:08

My extendahoe is a bit loose swinging from side to side when I drive it. I'm assuming its because the pads are worn out. Because I need (4) pads - $450 bucks for some plastic, I'd rather make them myself. What type of material is normally used for these? is it polycarbonate? # 10 is what I'm looking for - https://partstore.casece.com/us/ASCOEQ-Branch15/sliding-pad-p947141.html

Replies5
  1. #1greg95042018-04-23 09:26

    I believe it is UHMW but could be wrong. I have similar wear blocks that I replaced on my HIAB crane, and I couldn't tell any difference between the wear pads I got from the dealer and a block of UHMW I had (besides price)... I think you'd want the kind treated for UV which is usually black in colour.

  2. #2Theweldor2018-04-24 19:02

    You are correct it is UHMW. Ultra high molecular weight plastic. As with anything there are many grades. Some that do not require lubrication. Find your self a local machine shop and they cam make most anything you will need.

  3. #3Outdoort2021-06-05 17:44

    Anyone know what the thinkness of the wear pads are from the case dealer? I have a super K that needs a pad replaced, but might need all replaced at some point. Would be nice if the Case oem was somethings standard like .5" think, so we can just buy a sheet of it and cut to fit...

  4. #4Billrog2021-06-05 21:32

    I shimmed mine out with with some thin gauge metal shts until they were snug. If your going to use plastic the blue color is self lubricating which I used to replace the large washer under a boom once and it lasted yrs.

  5. #5Outdoort2021-06-06 18:32

    So I did some measuring outside on these existing wear pads I have. Best I can tell, they are .5" thick. They are 11 3/4" x 4 7/8 in size, but a 5"x12" will work just fine without machining it down. Mcmaster carr part number for this UHMW Plastic is : 8702K517 $18 dollars and some change. All I gotta do is drill out the bolt holes and machine out a recess for a washer so the bolt head can sit down inside the below flush. I was almost about to order the Case part, but I just don't see the reason. There wear pad is $118. I'm thinking I'm going to re use the shim, and see where I'm at on the service manual spec after re assembly, and determine if I need additional shims or what not. Also have a couple bushings in my cart at the moment for the auto leveler because the Case brand part is $36 dollars each! And you need two of them. I'm kinda getting pissed at Case over this ****. This stuff shouldn't be so pricy. I expect to pay a premium for OEM, but some simple stuff like a flanged bushing shouldn't cost what they are asking. i attached a couple photos of my bottom wear plate and how the bolts sheared off somehow. Gotta get the threads out of the dipper now. Prob just gonna tig weld a nut on or something.