Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

loose yoke on cat

Outasite ยท 2014-12-11 09:27

Trying to clear up the last of the oil leaks on on the Caty 936F. It looks like there is a leak at the rear drive shaft yoke,where it slides into the rear differential.I know there is a seal there, but the yoke is a little sloppy,up and down on the pinion shaft.I know this is not normal,but is it unusual?(13000 hrs) More importantly,would the pinion splines be worn also, or is the yoke a little softer,and just the yoke need to be replaced.OR do I just replace the seal and run it.Just dont want to ruin the pinion if it can be saved!

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2014-12-11 11:09

    I would just try replacing the seal as a first option. Is the yoke into the front diff the same as the rear..? Maybe try switching them to see if the "slop" stays where it is in the rear diff or moves with the yoke.

  2. #2Mjrdude12014-12-11 11:17

    We have a 936E with 28000 hrs on it, the yoke is a tad sloppy on ours also, we replaced the seal and reused the yoke a couple years ago, still working. We use the machine daily. Your mileage may vary.

  3. #3Nige2014-12-11 11:32

    Are you sure it is slop between yoke and pinion shaft your are seeing, or could it be wear in the bearings supporting the pinion..? Have you removed the yoke and given the shaft a heave with a bar..?

  4. #4Outasite2014-12-11 18:12

    Did not pull the yoke yet,will wait till I have a seal in hand.But when I move the yoke, it seems to rock on the center vertical axis of the spline rather than move straight up and down like a loose bearing,also when roading there is no abnormal noise in the drive or coast mode.

  5. #5kshansen2014-12-11 19:21

    I looked in SIS and at least for the 8AJ prefix 936F the front and rear axle yokes are the same so that option would work. Yokes go for about $315.

  6. #6Outasite2014-12-11 19:33

    Thanks for the help.Im going to order a pair of seals and give the "swap" a try I did find a aftermarket yoke for $130 but it's a little scary not knowing,if or how much heat treat it may or may not have.

  7. #7Mobiltech2014-12-11 23:04

    I find the yokes on the front and rear diff to be fairly sloppy on a lot of cat loaders. I tried replacing yokes on one machine because the customer thought it was too sloppy but it was the same with a new yoke. The spline on the pinion was good too. The yoke to the front pinion slides off the spline a long way by the time it's connected to the driveshaft.

  8. #8Outasite2014-12-12 06:52

    Well after hearing I may not have the only loose yoke around, I think I'll try a new seal,check the bearing for play,and give her a try.I only do a couple hundred hours a year,I just hate the damm leaks

  9. #9Nige2014-12-12 10:09

    You'll probably find a new seal will fix the problem, but while you're replacing the seal look carefully at the condition of the part of the yoke that the seal lip runs on, plus give the shaft a heave with a bar just to make sure it's not slop in the pinion bearings that you are seeing. Either of the aforementioned will take your new seal out in double quick time.

  10. #10Outasite2014-12-12 14:12

    Thanks again to everyone,will try and report back after a couple months of use.