Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

loosening tight hydraulic hose connections

aidank ยท 2026-07-09 05:17

Whats the best technique for loosening hydraulic hose connections that havent been moved in 30years. Had a significant battle with one a week ago due to a burst hose. It was a Metric fitting onto a steel pipe, 3/4" hose. 27mm or 33m spanner i dont recall which. Steel pipe pointing vertical up so using gravity flow and a piece of pneumatic tubing I was able to get the oil out of the pipe. Sucked the pneumatic tube to get the gravity flow started. Tapped the fitting with a hammer all around 100times. Then heated the fitting with blowtorch and pulled with a 4ft extension pipe on my spanner. (Was semi afraid of the oil in the pipe going on fire.) No move. When the fitting cooled down eventually it turned. Is there a better way

Replies2
  1. #1AMBMike2026-07-09 06:35

    I don't know how hard your hammer taps were or if the fitting was secured so it had to absorb the tapping rather than bouncing. I will either use a 1-3 pound sledge as a backer or firmly block the fitting so it can't bounce then use a 1 pound sledge to give sharp blows to the fitting. This is almost always successful for me. If I can't get to it with a small sledge I'll block the fitting so it can't bounce, then, using a hammer and punch I'll peen the center of several flats parallel to the hose.

  2. #2pumkinhead2026-07-09 07:09

    air hammer usually works for me