Loosing hydraulic oil, but where? I've gone through almost two gallons in about eight hours. I have one tilt cylinder that's a little damp but not actually leaking. No oil tracks on the ground, even when sitting idle. My worst fear is a motor seal is blown and it's filling one of the chain cases (haven't checked that yet, 'fraid to). This is on a '00 Mustang 2040. Suggestions?
I Think that could be your problem!
Would that be a hard fix, do you think?
Have a look inside your chain case. Should be obvious and there might be oil leaking out the axle seal. A good way to determined how hard a job it is is to buy a service manual. It should be easier to find one for your Mustang than it was for our Thomas. Nice to have anyway. I wouldn't say its an easy job, but doable on our machine. The seal was behind the bearing which was pressed on so that was somewhat of a pain. An extra set of hands is really nice for reassembly.
Thanks guys. I'll be checking that today. Looks like removing the seat, left side wheels, and chaincase side plate (because that side seemed a mite slower). I have a parts manual, so that should be a big help too.
I got to thinking- since you don't know which side is bad you can just remove the fill plugs for the cases. If one pours out hydraulic then there's your problem.
Take out the chaincase level plugs and the one that is overfull will be the side thats leaking. Or keep adding hydrualic fluid until your axle seal starts leaking. Thats what happen to me on my Case. After Christmas I'll be pulling the hydro motor to see if I can reshim the bearings and reseal it. Vince
Well, I didn't get to do it today. Too much rain and no garage to work in. I'll get it soon. Thanks again.
Today I drained a gallon of excess oil from the right chain case and over five (5) excess gallons from the left chain case. That's definitely where the oil is going. So the next question is; can the motor shaft seals be changed without removing the motors, or am I in for a pair of new/reman motors? This machine has 1,010 hours on it.
That is an interesting question. It sure would be awkward. The motor on our Thomas was not very difficult to remove. Look at your parts book. I took our motor to Spencer Fluid Power in Kent. Under $600 and you get a warranty. There are other places in Seattle but I'm not sure if there are any up north. Edit: Just remembered I took it to Spencer because they do Char-Lynn motors
The ends of the motors are readily accessable through the chain case covers. Not sure but I think I have Vickers motors. I'll check with Spencer tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
Ran the machine for 3-1/2 hours the day before yesterday - not loosing any hydraulic oil now - fixed itself.