Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lorain.

Truckie · 2008-06-16 22:16

Old but still working. I don’t know the year, all I know is it is a Old but still working. I don’t know the year, all I know is it is a Lorain 500 A It runs every day at our scrap yard. Right now the primary job is to load prepared scrap. It has a 6 cylinder Detroit, and believe it or not it dose not drip. Here are a few pictures of it. I’m not sure if I should put this here or in old iron?Lorain 500 A It runs every day at our scrap yard. Right now the primary job is to load prepared scrap. It has a 6 cylinder Detroit, and believe it or not it dose not drip. Here are a few pictures of it. I’m not sure if I should put this here or in old iron?

Replies12
  1. #1surfer-joe2008-06-16 23:33

    I'd about forgotten the Lorains, never saw a lot of them and in fact, I've never run nor worked on one. They look a lot like a Hough from a distance. I believe this one is likely about a 1966 or little later model. Only areas I ever saw a few was in the great lake states around the steel mills.

  2. #2pwrstroke6john2008-06-17 00:52

    Well Ive always heard that if those old detroit screamers didnt leak oil they were broke.but neat looking loader.

  3. #3stretch2008-06-17 13:19

    Wow...that's one big loader. Is this the same Lorain company that made cranes and shovels?

  4. #4Truckie2008-06-17 17:05

    Sorry guys I have to make a correction to the information I posted. I don’t know how I did but I messed up big time, I mean big time. It is a Cummins. I have no idea how I messed up that bad. Sorry, my bad. ointhead surfer-joe I looked at the machine a bit better today and did not see any tags on it but I did look at the engine plate and it is a 1967 Cummins engine in her. So you hit the build date right on.

  5. #5Wolf2008-06-17 18:05

    sweet looking loader, man. good to see you back on the forums, truckie!

  6. #6digger242j2008-06-17 18:48

    Well, that explains why it doesn't leak... :cool2

  7. #7Truckie2008-06-17 21:03

    Yes in deed it dose. She is as dry as can be. Thanks Wolf.

  8. #8ror76a2008-06-17 22:03

    That or it already leaked all the oil out. I always thought that someone else built those loaders for Lorain. I have never seen one that big before, but I thought the smaller ones were built by Pettibone? Sure are rare now.

  9. #9handyman2008-07-09 15:46

    I'm glad that it still works. ________________ moving and storage company

  10. #10datsunman2009-03-04 13:31

    Hey the lorain here is a bit larger than the one my dad owned. I'm already digging in the family photo albums for a picture of it to share here. It had a Cummins diesel supercharged originally. And a 3yrd bucket too. I did a lot of work on that machine,(fixing more than digging).

  11. #11insleyboy2009-03-04 21:31

    Yeah, thats probably the 48H series Lorain. Weren't they bought by Koehring?

  12. #12datsunman2009-03-26 09:48

    :usa I did find a picture of this beast and it brought back memories when I found this picture of it at the end of our driveway. Had just used it to push a lot of burr oak limbs and logs out of the yard after trimming out and removing a few of the big oaks. Not many of these machines out there anymore., datsunman