Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

loss of control to levers and tracking / track excavator machine

stadamack ยท 2011-04-21 14:33

Pel Job 25.4 (mini excavator). The engine will start fine and it will rev up + down. However, the control levers have gone dead and it is also not possible to track. Seems like a total loss of hydraulic power. Checked fuses and none are blown. Anyone come across this or similar in a small track excavator?

Replies14
  1. #1Hendrik2011-04-21 20:06

    The only time I came across a full loss of hydraulics was in a JD 8450 tractor, turned out the main relief valve was stuck open, probably due to the crap design of that series of JD tractors. Insofar that the hydraulic oil also lubricated the gearbox and diffs.

  2. #2grandkobelco2011-04-21 22:18

    Does this digger have a safety lever that must be droped before the hydrolics work? I usume it does. If your fuses are good you may have a electric switch at the botom of it that is bad, or the coil that it controlls is bad. I can't help you with the location of these parts.

  3. #3Hendrik2011-04-21 22:36

    Can't comment on that specific machine but on my Kubota the back fill blade and boom swing will still work even with the safety lever up.

  4. #4grandkobelco2011-04-22 05:46

    No kidding? It will still swing with the saftey lever up? What modle kubota is this?

  5. #5Hendrik2011-04-22 20:57

    The body on my KX41-3V won't rotate but the boom swing function is still operational, bit of a design fault because it's easy enough to step on the boom swing pedal whilst getting on the machine.

  6. #6stadamack2011-04-25 07:25

    I've exposed the oil pump by taking out the diesel tank. Would anybody know the easiest means of determining if the pump is working? There is no hydraulic power to rams / tracks / blade. Grandkobleco you make a good point about the electrics at the bottom of the safety lever. If I can rule out a non operational pump that is the next thing to be examined.

  7. #7rare ss2011-04-25 09:38

    your better off ruling out the small easy things first like electrics, safety valves like Grandkobleco metioned if that all checks out I'd be thinking the pump drive coupling has failed.. pretty common fault with small machines, if there is a small servo pump on the back of the main pump which shares the shaft as the main pump and is easy to pull off without too much greif pull it off and turn the engine over by hand and see if the shaft rotates, of it doesnt then pull the hyd pump off the rear of the engine.. just make sure everything is clean and you dont drop any dirt into the hyd. lines

  8. #8WRS_Mark2011-04-25 14:20

    Agree with rare ss. I have had the pump drive fail on a couple of machines back when I was operating. You would be working away and then.....nothing. First time it happened was when I was operating a 870 Tigercat Feller Buncher. I was about 80% of the way through a great big poplar and the drive died. Of course, it also happened to be in the middle of the night in dense bush, with no one near the cut block, so after shutting down the machine I had to walk right past that tree, which was still standing, but leaning just about perfectly in the direction I had to go out in. Nice.

  9. #9Jlillie22011-04-26 14:45

    Just to add my two cents, my takeuchi TB25 will track, and I can lift and lower the blade. I can not use any of the controls, or slew the house.

  10. #10Jlillie22011-04-26 14:47

    Running like hell in the dark must suck. B-)

  11. #11WRS_Mark2011-04-26 14:53

    Yeah, especially over sticks and stumps and broken/crushed dead fall. It was one of those moments where I was truly proud of the career choice I made.

  12. #12Jlillie22011-04-27 13:54

    Ha! yea, good times. B-) I've walked back after dark after getting the utv stuck a few times, nothing chasing me though, so i could walk a little slower.

  13. #13WRS_Mark2011-04-27 14:42

    The all time best moment in machine break downs was my first year operating Feller Buncher: I had a hose fail inside the saw housing and had to walk out in almost pitch darkness, without a flashlight. As I got to about 100 yards from the road, I heard what sounded like a very big animal rushing towards me. It bumped into me hard enough to knock me on my behind as it rushed past. I kind of got a feel for it's coat and could see it's outline enough to realize it was a lot bigger than me, so I assume it must have been a moose that I startled. Good thing he didn't run into me square!

  14. #14heavylift2011-04-27 15:51

    seat switch, safety lever switch , seat belt switch , That's where i would start. the simple things. I was on a piece of equipment that the seat belt was behind the seat hooked together.. It was on a job that had a safety guy. so I was using the belt.. when the move truck came to pick it up. He couldn't get it to start. I had left to go to another job. The mechanic worked at it for several hours.. I came in to that job the next day ,it was still there. so i used it for a while to do some more work. The mechanic showed up, asked me how I got the machine started. I told him I turned the key. Next day I get a call, how do you start that machine, turn the key I say.. So I drive over to the job jump on the machine put on the seat belt, turn the key, it starts... They hadn't been fastening the seat belt LOL