Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lost Case Backhoe accident video

Cartoondude135 · 2025-05-16 21:43

Here's everything I know about the video I'm trying to find and recover: It's about 19-25 seconds long. It took place on a Thursday morning according to the newscaster. This was featured on some news program between 2005-2007 - this was during the time YouTube was first starting its first years of operation. "The repair job , but something went terribly wrong Thursday morning. A backhoe topples into a muddy pit." A CASE 580L (I'm 86.5% certain it's either a 580K or 580L in the video footage as the accident equipment) was dumping mud and as it backed up, it fell into a hole on its right side, because the concrete road beneath it gave way under the weight of the machine. Fortunately, nobody was in the pit when the backhoe toppled into the pit and the operator sustained only minor injuries. This is something from my past - childhood in fact and I need help to recover it! If you know where I can still access it, please redirect me to it's working link or Internet Archive ASAP.

Replies12
  1. #1cosmaar12025-05-16 22:26

    Listing anything about the location, news channel, etc., would be a bit helpful if you could remember any of that.

  2. #2Cartoondude1352025-05-16 22:47

    Well, somewhere in North America - as the Case Backhoe looked like it was made in North America. There is another thing I do remember vividly: the video had this tag near the bottom right: "HOSTED AT _______". That site that published it at the time was about vehicular accidents - let's just put it that way. I won't put the rest of the name of that site on here as that site underwent some kind of unknown drastic change over time and the name of the site might get me banned.

  3. #3Cartoondude1352025-05-17 03:36

    UPDATE: HERE IT IS! Thanks to this trick I just learned: type in a keyword into the search box then "before:2007-01-02". In this case "backhoe tip over before:2007-01-02" netted me the long lost backhoe tip over accident caught on tape! But yes! At long last! This was featured on another vehicle accident site.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-05-17 07:59

    Wow, talk about some bad decisions crap.

  5. #5highwayghost2025-05-18 01:31

    Maybe he just got tired of fixing it all the time, so he dug a big hole, drove it in, and is going to bury it! Heaven knows I’ve thought about it myself!

  6. #6digger242j2025-05-18 03:33

    The most remarkable thing about that clip is that the reporter did say "backhoe", not "bulldozer."

  7. #7Cartoondude1352025-05-18 06:57

    Tell me about it; I've seen many news report cases where the reporters are referring to heavy equipments using incorrect names.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-05-18 08:36

    My neighbor still calls my backhoe an excavator and my excavator a track hoe.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-05-19 12:14

    P&H called their track hoe's Full Hydraulic Backhoe's. I think some other companies did as well. Excavator is a relatively new term for a track hoe.

  10. #10KalebMercer2025-05-20 03:24

    Hopefully, someone has the footage or remembers the broadcast.

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-05-20 18:43

    He found it and posted it. Did you not read the thread?

  12. #12Cartoondude1352025-05-23 05:49

    Just for laughs, is it safe to say people who use the incorrect names when refering to specific heavy equipment is a heavy equipment operator's "cancer"? I was offended when I watched this: