Hello folks, I have been lurking here for a bit while I have been hunting down a new machine. I pulled the trigger on a 1974 case 580B with the power shuttle. Very clean machine and at the right price. The machine came with a 12" trench bucket and pallet forks. The downside of the machine is there is a fair amount of blow by. quite a bit of smoke out of the breather tube and you can feel the pressure if you put your hand up against it. I told myself I was going to buy a well running machine because I did not want a big project right away so when I saw the blow by I told myself not to buy it... So anyways here I am staring at the 580 sitting in my yard.. lol. I changed the oil last night, extremely dirty oil and when I felt inside the oil pan with my finger there was a layer of sludge at the bottom. I let it drain all night. The machine fires up nicely and runs like a top, but obviously there is some wear in the motor. I was hoping to get the summer season out of the machine but I am concerned that putting more hours into the motor is just asking for more trouble. Anyways, I just wanted to make my first post here, at some point I am going to tear down that motor, I would enjoy some opinions and input and help along the way.
Welcome aboard but I got to laugh at your thread title man made me crack up. It was as if somebody had stashed a 580b in the back of a warehouse like a '55 Chevy or something. Or maybe case was building retro 580bs?
I wish man! Trying to attach a photo here, hopefully it works well. Just a screen shot of the ad. Haven’t had a chance to take my own photos
Blowby-shmoeby! Run it! It is 50 years old. If it makes good power, keep fresh oil in it and use it. My Ram truck was using a gallon every 1600 miles when I bought it. That went on for almost two years and it broke a few rings and really got to smoking. When it looks like this, maybe think about doing something.
I had a 580 B with lots of blow by sold it with 20,000 hrs. and it was still going strong 2 yrs. later.
Might be a feature not a problem
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I tend to over think things and assume the worse. She really does run well and starts up on a dime. Skyking, I’d say the blow by is comparable to your video. Regardless. I think I’ll just run her. I am planning on buying the service manual off of eBay this weekend.
Run it.
Believe it or not, it may get better by running it. I have seen machines that have sat for a while that the rings have gotten so dry, they smoke pretty bad at first but tend to seat again and get back to sealing well.
HarleyHappy, I guess we’ll find out! Previous owner said he hasn’t been using it much lately he had bought a smaller machine. Here is another picture of the 580: And here is the smaller trenching bucket and pallet forks that came with it:
Rebuilding the motor sounds like a really nice winter time project. keep the oil up maybe change it again this summer new filters make sure air filter is clean. I would add some Lucas oil stabilizer to the old girl. Welcome and wish you the best of luck.
So, as much as I see those combinations, I think Case for a long time offered this combo through many models. A 18 to 24” hoe bucket, with a 12” trenching bucket and a set of bucket forks. Kind of like a Big Mac combo from McDonald’s. I thought you got a B not an Old as Dirt CK? lol They all work and are always better than a shovel. One of these days, I have to sell the 3pt hitch backhoe for my Kubota. That, isn’t much better than a shovel. One of these days most useless and expensive purchases, I have ever made.
The CK’s had a B model made in the 70’s. Not sure what you are considering old as dirt. It’s marked 580b on the hood of the backhoe which certainly doesn’t mean it’s original. Everything from the 580b operators manual appears to align with the machine. But I’m sure someone on here with more knowledge than me can help identify
Just joking on the old as dirt thing, lol
Pretty clean looking older backhoe but needs a better seat.
Hi, I’m going to agree with running it, if it doesn’t knock it’s just worn, not likely to break, it’ll probably just gradually get worse like over another 20 years LOL Lobo is right on, Lucas engine treatment/motor honey helps with blowby, it makes a nice film of oil in all the bearings, Best of luck with your backhoe! Dan
Hey Lobo and Dan, how much Lucas would you guys recommend to add?
I think Lucas says something like 15-20% but depends on how worn the engine is.
Thanks Dave. Going to pick some up tomorrow
Going through all of the basic maintenance items on the backhoe I finally got around to checking the air filter and this is what I found... Between the sludgy old oil and this filter no wonder why the motor is so worn out.. man it sucks when people can't do the basic necessities to keep a motor healthy.
Beer, Smokes or an air filter and oil. For some folks the decision is simple. Machines can wait or never get it. That filter is definitely done. Simon C
The safety element in my grader is from 2001 and is like new in every respect. The outer filter is much newer. I asked how to tell when to replace the safety element but all I got is they recommend yearly. Someone suggested they become chalky when you rub them but it was like new. Even the Donaldson filter monitor T nut that holds it place indicated it was good. I'm all for keeping up with filter maintenance but it seems like a money grab to replace an air filter that shows no signs of being old or deteriorated.
When I see the pleated layers start holding dirt or dust, is when I change. I have an inner filter that is at least 5 years old. No sense changing it when it’s still good.
Inner filters are usually white or blue in coulour, if you see dirt on it it means the outer has failed, I would use an inner 5 years, no problem if it is still like new. Remember it is the last defence from a sanded engine. Simon C
The inner filter that I added to my skid steer is black and looks almost like construction paper. I think the T nut filter indicator on the grader would turn red long before the inner filter was toast.
frequent oil changes going forward, dino oil is about all you can do now. Enjoy! I'd like to have one, some days. Not most days.
You know, unless you run bikes, most people don’t know what Dino oil means. It never occurred to me to say it any other way. What else would you call in? Real oil? Regular oil?
Lube oil.
Everything helps you are doing a good job. On the Lucas I would not go over the recommended percentage because of how thick it is and cold weather starting.
That is definitely a 580B the CK's had a rounder hood. Looks like a pretty clean and dry machine. It likely has the 188D engine. If it starts easily then most likely still has decent compression. If it doesn't knock, run it till you feel like rebuilding it. The thing that seems to mostly kill the 188d's seems to be low oil and then the bearings go followed by a rod.
Eric, thanks for the input. It is indeed the 188D. I will indeed keep running it, I'll be keeping a close eye on the oil level. I finally got around to picking up some Lucas oil. The recommended amount was 20%. After draining out some of the old oil from the motor I probably put closer to 30% in. Lucas recommended up to 60% for badly worn motors. I ran the tractor today and of course she fired right up and ran well. Not much improvement on the blow-by.. maybe I could have used more Lucas.. but regardless I put in some work today pulling a few small stumps. I'll keep running her and post any updates if things change.
I wouldn't add more Lucas. It may take awhile to see a difference.
I must say, it’s in great shape, for the shape it’s in. Make sure and have fun.
Don't add more. It helps an old motor more by coating the bearings for longer life than it will do anything for blow-by. The oil is only marginally thicker and is still going to get past worn piston rings. I like Lucas products and just added some of their injector cleaner to my backhoe last week. Reading on here someone mentioned their product called boost for hydraulics and I picked up a gallon of that also.