Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Low bridges

Colin Doy ยท 2008-01-24 22:54

Probably not too many bridges in North America this low but you have to be aware of your surroundings wherever you are.

Replies28
  1. #1Ray Welsh2008-01-25 17:26

    I wonder why the boom-lift was left so high. Most heavy haulage drivers I know continually observe low hanging power lines etc., even on their days off. Low bridges are mainly known and the information is shared with strangers to the area via UHF two-way radio. Safety means helping your mates...C ya.....Ray

  2. #2stumper1202008-01-25 21:08

    dump the bags, drop the hammer, and close your eyes. oh ya duck for good measure.:usa

  3. #3AtlasRob2008-03-01 16:05

    Hiab That looks suspiciously like its in the UK. Cant see the number plate to be 100% sure, but I suspect.:Banghead There are 3 flatbed rail trailers on the truck as towed by railroaders. Each has a set of short four leg chains in a recessed area about 3ft sq in the middle of the trailer for lifting on/off rail and trucks. As the driver was only going a short distance and he was running a bit late due to traffic he saved himself 4 minutes ( two minutes each end ) by not climbing up and unhooking the hiab from the chain. This also saved him another 5 mins ( 2.5 each end ) in folding away the hiab and unfolding again. There is also the added Health and Safety benefit to be taken in to account, as in not having to climb up on the lorry and down again twice, the driver eliminated the risk of falling off and hurting himself. :cool2 I was wondering can this be linked to the accident competion as there are a few lessons to be learnt here.

  4. #4Colin Doy2008-03-01 16:27

    Health and safety seems to be paramount in the UK, I guess they can't remove the human element though.:beatsme

  5. #595zIV2008-03-19 21:55

    U.S. bridges get it too Colin, U.S. low bridges get hit too. http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13140

  6. #6Colin Doy2008-03-19 22:04

    No...not here..

  7. #7stretch2008-03-25 15:30

    Yeah Colin, you should move to Connecticut...in the past year we've had a crane hit a bridge on the interstate and a roll-off guy had the dumster loading rail in the raised position and hit the overpass. I think there was also an incident with an excavator.

  8. #8chico2008-03-29 21:43

    There are a couple of low train track bridges in Boston, have to be on alert where you go around here.

  9. #9ZAXIS2008-03-30 12:39

    :usaHere's one for ya Sincerely, ZAXIS

  10. #10AtlasRob2008-03-30 13:56

    thanks Hi ZAXIS, thanks that is the missing picture! I have seen the next in the sequence, from the otherside after the lowboy had been backed up a little and the tractor unit pulled off. I suspected from the damage under the bridge that the tracks had impacted like that but had never seen the proof :drinkup In another thread somebody askes about Hyundai excavators and I was going to post the other pics and vouch for thier strength. A man could loose a lot of beer placing bets on the outcome of that scenario :cool2

  11. #11ZAXIS2008-03-30 14:02

    Your Welcome!!

  12. #12ASPHALT042008-03-30 14:03

    That lowboy had to have been haulin-a**!! I've seen then wedged under an over-pass but not flipped up like that. What shape is the truck in?

  13. #13ZAXIS2008-03-30 14:05

    I'm not sure, but I hope he was wearing his seatbelt-or he might look like a jack-o-lantern nowadays. ZAXIS

  14. #14ASPHALT042008-03-30 14:09

    If he was wearing a belt......I bet there are some broken body parts there; and if he wasn't he's probably got some road-rash from hell!!

  15. #15ZAXIS2008-03-30 14:17

    Ouch-that's putting a scary thought in my head.

  16. #16AtlasRob2008-03-30 14:21

    Oh well ops Wrote the following, then searched for the pics, and realise its NOT the same machine. One has a breaker on the other has a bucket. A well still good pics, enjoy :drinkup The email went around the engineers on the site I was on at the time asking if any of them could calculate the velocity requirement of a 30t long reach excavator, in order to cut a reinforced concrete bridge in half !!!!! I heard the story but didn't believe it till I saw it. Web hyjack, kindly provides for your amazement.

  17. #17ZAXIS2008-03-30 14:26

    AtlasRob, I just found the same pictures on Flickr and was going to forward them to you-much more dramatic and better picture quality! Thanks, ZAXIS

  18. #18ASPHALT042008-03-30 14:28

    WOW!!!! I'm speachless. Probably find an add in the classified the following week for well used lowboy.........cheap!

  19. #19ZAXIS2008-03-30 14:34

    If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is!! ZAXIS

  20. #20cps2008-07-19 22:52

    How do you get a long reach ex stuck soooo far into bridge?????

  21. #21Dwan Hall2008-07-20 02:22

    Go fast

  22. #22AtlasRob2008-07-20 14:11

    :yup but you've got to get the attack angle just right else you dont get quite the same effect

  23. #23Demo_Andy2008-07-20 17:00

    Some amazing pictures there, I just can't believe the arm has cut through the bridge like that. Its common in the UK too, well at least for our company. Must be the low loader services we use! None of them have been this bad, its usually just glances here and there with the occassional wedged stuck! Suprisingly never had a machine seriously damaged. Most of the motorway bridges you see have chips and scratches where booms have hit.

  24. #24B1G DIG2009-05-02 09:06

    How do you get a long reach ex stuck soooo far into bridge????? GO FAST LOL BEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD

  25. #25rigandig2009-05-03 08:50

    That pic of the long reach excavator pierccing the box girder was in Salina, Ks. on I-70. The driver was off route. Said his boss told him to take that route. Seems, that truck must have 2 levers, like most heavy equipment. Lever A, and Lever B. If ya know what your doing, use Lever A, if not Lever B. Simple rule, just seems hard to follow for some folks. Rigandig

  26. #26Iron Horse2009-05-27 19:22

    And this is what happens in slow motion . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--pVT97rtI&NR=1

  27. #27AtlasRob2009-05-28 16:40

    Nice find Iron Horse :notworthy I have seen some similar but not those. I believe it is as a result of tests like those that our motorway overbridge supports have been beefed up and strengthened a lot. I suspect that 8 wheeler would have been at 30t which was the max in those days with aric at 32t, whereas now we are running artics at 44t, poor old bridges would not stand a chance. Those clips with the tipper and the one of the Hymac brings back memories of a story I heard not long after I started on a motorway construction job back in the 70's. 6 wheeler road wagons were doing some on site muck shifting and running through a bridge build where the new beams were being or had been set. One truck forgot to drop the body and hit the new beams. The impact bumped the beams far enough to dislodge the last one which dropped straight across the cab of the truck killing the driver.

  28. #28Iron Horse2009-05-28 18:50

    Looking at those photos , at first glance it looks like the arm has cut most of the way across the deck . But the line of rubble has been thrown across the deck in a straight line , making it look like a cut . The top of the stick has hit the bridge from the right side of the photo , pierced the deck and then folded over on itself and pointed in the other direction . It's still hard to believe it went that far . Rob , it's always sad when we lose one .