Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Low engine power on Komatsu D39EX

Vetech63 ยท 2020-03-25 07:32

I ran across this 2 days ago. The dozer was weak operating at high idle and smoking black. The customer had replaced the turbo charger 4 months ago and the problem never got better. Since they had replaced the turbo, I had a feeling that it was loosing boost pressure from somewhere, just had to find it. I didnt expect this............. a small hole in the intake manifold.

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632020-03-25 07:37

    So..........I start removing the HP fuel manifold, lines..........as I go along to get this manifold pulled, the hole gets bigger. By the time I get it off, I have this.................. They used this dozer for a couple of years to spread fly ash, and it laid on top of this aluminum manifold until it corroded completely though.

  2. #2colson042020-03-25 07:42
  3. #3Vetech632020-03-25 07:44

    Waiting on new manifold which my Komatsu dealer says isn't due to Komatsu until July. Since this was a proprietary engine to Komatsu the engine serial number is locked into Cummins engines system..........no parts except from Komatsu. I found another serial number for another B4.5 engine that was NOT K-propitiatory with the same intake and found the Cummins part number. New manifold will be here today from Memphis. Gotta love when a plan comes together!

  4. #4partsandservice2020-03-25 18:27

    The backdoor trick works for the injectors as well . Can get them for a little over 300 vs 1000.