Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Low garage for 843 – freewheel it in without cab? Engine hoist remove cab in garage?

chilly · 2025-10-25 20:25

Want do so some work over the winter on a bobcat 843 and my garage is not nearly tall enough to tilt the cab back to get to the guts. Was thinking of a few ways. 1. Remove the cab entirely then manually move it into the garage. Of course it doesn't move - and so far I haven't found a bypass or valve that lets it freewheel like hydro mowers I've used typically do. Ever search I do for moving a dead machine shows using a bigger machine and dragging it with sand or soap sometimes to help. Not interested in doing that in and out of the garage. 2. Drive it into the garage, and I think there's enough clearance I could use a big engine hoist and rig up some frame or cribbing inside the cab to lift it from inside (garage not tall enough to really 'hoist' - but could 'push', and roll it out of the way. I think this might work - I see big hoists with long arms good for 1/2 ton which should be plenty. 3. Darwin award method - take off the cab and cobble up a wiring harness to let me drive it in without the cab. It's an old analog machine - but I'm sure it would take a bunch of fiddling. And feels rather unsafe. Anyone do anything like this or have other options? I don't to do it outside in winter - its not my job - just a hobby - more interesting than restoring a car to me - and cold sucks.

Replies16
  1. #1Mr. Wrench2025-10-25 21:27

    I don't think that a 843 has a hydro release. To move it without a cab you would just need to hot wire the solenoid and glow plugs. The parking brake and fuel shutoff are all mechanical. Make sure you do it safely! I'm going off of a 743, I think a 843 would be the same if I'm correct.

  2. #2Old Doug2025-10-25 21:55

    What about doing something with the shop ?

  3. #3Coaldust2025-10-26 01:43

    No way to tow a 843. You can destroy both motors if the wheels catch traction. Time to build a taller shop. It’s the only way. Sorry.

  4. #4chilly2025-10-26 08:26

    One of these days hopefully I'll get a bigger shop - but I'm in the chicken and egg situation - need to clear and grade some area out back - garage is raised ranch style under bedrooms so can't really change what I have right now. @Mr. Wrench I guess you're right and it's not really as dangerous as I'm thinking... I'm not working with it. No attachments, arms down, crawling along. I can make a board to sit on and wire in the basic ignition lines to switches I can attach to it. You wouldn't slip and fall into a gear train or something. That way I'd be able to actually run which is pretty key for a lot of service operations. Good to know about the towing though - if it does just generally breakdown in the field that's been my other worry - not having bigger equipment to move it. I'd assumed as a last resort, I could break chains and it would roll and could just tow it with my smaller tractor. Haven't dug in that far to verify if that's the case though (no pun intended).

  5. #5chilly2025-10-26 17:06

    Step one complete.... nothing broken on me or the machine yet. I guess I won't be able to sell the old tractor until I get a shop that can fit a gantry. All these big old trees and not one viable limb down low enough to put a hoist chain on.

  6. #6Coaldust2025-10-26 17:12

    That’s a good ol’e, genuine Melroe, made in NoDak Bobcat. Great to see you taking good care of that American classic.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-10-27 10:02

    I bought 4 car dollies at HF an was able to roll it around on my garage floor.

  8. #8chilly2025-10-27 23:43

    That's a great idea. I thought they were much much more light duty or very expensive - but looks like they have 2500lb (each) daytona ones for $69 a pair right now. I did trace the wiring diagrams today and think I know what to do - like @Mr. Wrench hinted at - it's pretty simple, although it does seem to have an ignition controlled fuel solenoid. So since I don't need glow plugs working, I'm hoping it's just that and the starter solenoid. Those dolly's would be a huge help moving things around either way... think I'll get a set.

  9. #9chilly2025-10-29 19:03

    What could possibly go wrong!? I'll find out tomorrow.

  10. #10Mr. Wrench2025-10-29 19:09

    Very nice! Hope it goes good! Keep us posted.

  11. #11CM19952025-10-30 10:03

    Beat me to it! Northern Tool also has similar. Those 843's were bullet proof machines even with the Perkins engine.

  12. #12IceHole2025-10-30 10:27

    Set it on steel and slide it in. Or even heavy duty car dollies. Or a few floor jacks. Or work outside like me cause almost nothing I own fits in my shop since I'm living in there. Did u jectors and cups on a 7.3L in -10* in my dooryard. Felt nice compared to the -50* and wind at work!

  13. #13IceHole2025-10-30 10:29

    I ran a new Doodooson and was like WHAT is this trash?! 80k for THIS?! I'll stick to my ~5000 hr early 2000s S250

  14. #14chilly2025-10-30 11:51

    I'm hoping so. I do know that it's a pleasure to work on a machine so simple that you can look under the hood and know what everything does... trace the wire harness out to all-analog components and understand what they all do without having to hook up your computer or buy some extra software or adapter tools. And no computer chips to fail that you can't just get a machine shop to recreate after it's o longer available. Biggest worry I have is long term parts support - but fingers crossed.... I'm 55 now - lets see who lasts longer.

  15. #15Vetech632025-10-30 15:46

    I've moved dead machines into a shop by throwing down cat litter, floor dry, or sand and skidding them.

  16. #16chilly2025-10-31 12:44

    Worked perfectly! The weird red wire connection is because the pin in the OEM connector was corroded and broke off so I need to rewire that anyway. And the lapbar safety switch only seems to affect the lift or bucket - not drive, so didn't even need to fiddle with that. idk if that's been defeated or was like that originally... I'll find out as I get into it.