I was reading an new owners manual and John Deere said to use their additives to protect the fuel system. I have been using Stanadyne. Is it a lubritcity issue? thanks I have been buying bottles 160z for 11+ bucks and now I just bought 5 gallons for 158 shipped that is .68 per oz and now .24 per oz deliver to my door!:Banghead:Banghead
Good question. When someone raises this and says its necessary, I kind of panic because I never add anything. Then I forget about it and things keep on running. I did ask the fuel truck driver that delivers bulk fuel about this. For what it's worth, his opinion is that one does not need to add anything - that the refineries add everything that's needed. I'd like to see a trustworthy research report on this, one not commissioned by the companies that sell the additives.
http://www.sae.org/automag/harmfree/index.htm
I was reading an new owners manual and John Deere said to use their additives to protect the fuel system. I have been using Stanadyne. Is it a lubricity issue? thanks I have been buying bottles 160z for 11+ bucks and now I just bought 5 gallons for 158 shipped that is .68 per oz and now .24 per oz deliver to my door!:Banghead:Banghead
////
My mechanic told to use it, so i use kleenflow diesel lubricant. $18cdn for 2 litres, i put about $6 worth in a 250 gal tank of fuel at delivery. I haven't really looked into it, but i know that tighter emission requirements have meant tighter tolerances in the injection pumps on newer equipment. This, coupled with the fact that the fuel suppliers are pulling the sulpher out of the fuel, makes me think i should add something. Injection pumps are expensive. My JCB dealer said they were having injector pump issues with the low sulpher fuel, and told me to use it as well.
I am in no way an expert or have a college degree in chemistry, but I DO know that in the last several years we have seen injection pump gasket problems. At about the same time that the refineries started taking more sulphur out we started seeing throttle shaft seal leaks on CAV pumps on older machines. Evidently, when we asked our local pump shop, he said that when the new fuel hit seals that have been in the old fuel they harden and split. He also said that an additive is HIGHLY recommended beacuse the new ULSD fuel doesn't have near the lubricity the old fuel did. If you can find old fuel (or spent so much time around it, you just remember) put some on your fingers and rub them together and then do the same with ULSD. The ULSD is "drier" almost like gasoline (at least that is my opinion). To me an additive is cheaper than an injection pump.
Here's a thread from back in August about diesel additive. There's a link to a study in the first post. Rather interesting study. Thought it might be relevant to your thread speedpup.
I have made the transition from original fuel to low sulfur and then to ulsd. I have had no problems at all in any pumps or the engines. I usually keep a truck until it has at least 1 1/2 million miles on it before retiring them. Still got to go 400 thousand on this one, only had it five years. The last one got just over a million miles put on it by myself and 14 hired drivers. Parked it with 1.65 million miles and all original, including valve cover gasket. Used starter on another truck and sold the a/c hoses to a buddy. Series 60 Detroit 12.7. one of the first 35000 made.
that is a good article. I just bought 5 gallons of Stanadyne Lubriticiy Formula. Guess if I add more it will be eveb=n better? It is 1.00 per tamk vs more for some of the better performers which are up to4.35 per 28 gallon tank.
2 cycle engine oil will add lubricity to your fuel. I don't know exactly how it compares to the additives that come in the fancy bottles, though. Biodiesel reportedly has more lubricity. If your supplier offers B5 or B20 it may be worth checking out the price.
I think the report tells you above.