Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lowboy Crash!

joedirt ยท 2009-01-14 19:20

Here are some pics of the crash we were in about 2 years ago. The other driver who did survive, crossed the center line and ran into us during some icy road conditions. These pics were taken before the wrecker did any pulling. Thank goodness our driver was ok but was none to happy about the damage to his trailer. We still to this day are having trouble with are axles being out of alignment.

Replies24
  1. #1dpatrick2009-01-14 19:29

    From looking at the truck that crossed the center line, its amazing that driver survived. I would just about bet that those axles are bent.

  2. #2Iron Horse2009-01-14 20:00

    Especially the center axle , the inside tyre is touching the bolster .

  3. #3Steve Frazier2009-01-14 20:41

    Wow!! I'm just stunned. I've been in emergency services for 30 years and looking at these pictures I wouldn't have expected the driver to have survived. What an incredible amount of damage.

  4. #4dpatrick2009-01-14 20:42

    Its hard enough keeping good rubber on those lowboys, without having to rub them the wrong way. Seems like no matter how it happens when someone hits your equipment you always seem to come up short on the repairs, not to mention the down time. and the aggravation. I was looking at your location. Where is Orstraya?

  5. #5dpatrick2009-01-14 20:56

    That driver that crossed the center may have survived, but he has got to be hurt. I think the fact that he survived could be clasisified in the miracle column. Have you any knowledge of the extent of the other drivers injuries or if he was able to recover without serious disability?

  6. #6redline2009-01-14 21:16

    Orstraya = Australia

  7. #7dpatrick2009-01-14 21:36

    I had a feeling that was down under. Is this your summertime over there?

  8. #8Iron Horse2009-01-14 23:01

    G'day , yes it is our summer time . I think it will be a bad year for fires too . We have had good rains and everything is growing like Triffids . Once it dies off it will be a Tinder Box . That axle may not be bent , if it's air bag the force could have rotated the alignment cam washer . If it is spring the force could have elongated the track rod eyes . It really needs checking out with a Jonsram Laser or the like .

  9. #9Dualie2009-01-14 23:55

    is that a murray interstater trailer?

  10. #10qball2009-01-15 16:10

    Wow!

  11. #11tonka2009-01-15 17:11

    I think so but, the newer models have a small beaver tail...........os IDK for sure!

  12. #12brey2012009-01-15 17:18

    I live in california and am in Local 12. I have been outta work since jan 3rd of 2008. Does anyone know of any work out there? Anywhere in the worlld, I don't care where it is. I can run scrapers, loaders, blades for rough grading, rubber tire compactors, and any size dozer, but the last 2 years doing mostly d-8 finish with gps trimble equipment. If anyone knows how to find some work out there, can u let me in or how to find links to places that are hiring please!!!

  13. #13tonka2009-01-15 20:06

    um welcome to HEF but please dont hijack someone elces thread, after you have 3 posts you can start your own thread, thanks! good luck!

  14. #14brey2012009-01-15 20:32

    What is a thread and I apologize. I didnt try to offend anyone.

  15. #15Dusty2009-01-15 20:36

    Scary stuff

  16. #16joedirt2009-01-15 20:37

    Just a couple quick replies: dpatrik-- You are absolutely right, we took it in the shorts with the insurance claim. We had to wait 2 years before it was settled. Not to mention we did have the trailer "aligned " by laser and it's still scrubbing tires. The fella who hit us sustained a shoulder dislocation and had numerous head lacerations. He was ICU for several days but apparently mad a full recovery. Dualie-- I'll check on the model name and get back to you. You're right on the Murray part though.

  17. #17Iron Horse2009-01-15 22:16

    Maybe the Laser had a bent beam ? Did they check the camber ? They usually only check the toe in/out with Lasers . If the camber (up/down) measurement is + or - it will still wear the tyres .

  18. #18Chaz Murray2009-01-16 00:51

    Bring it up to us and we can fix it...If you dont have a load coming this way give **** Graese at Empire Cat at (480) 633-4525 in Mesa AZ a call and maybe they can bring it up for you when they come pick up another trailer at our yard that was in for repair. ***edit...looks like the forum does not like his name...so its the short for Richard if ya have not figured it out**

  19. #19Chaz Murray2009-01-16 00:57

    It is a "Interstate" but the old design using the 22.5" rubber...we have not built a big rubber "Interstate" in a few years. All the new ones have been the 17.5 rubber.

  20. #20thejdman042009-01-16 12:17

    wow

  21. #21Case 580e2009-06-27 22:49

    for the driver that got hit must of got out of that truck with some brown pants i know i would

  22. #22gat-zke2009-07-06 23:52

    thats a brutal crash

  23. #23OneWelder2009-07-13 16:14

    Given the amount of damage, and the lowbed having a heavy load that was well chained - you probably ended up with damage in an unexpected place Laser alignment sys . are faster and more accurate- but only as good as the operator You could probably figure out what is wrong with a tape measure, string ,and 2 planks If you want instructions I will be glad to try and explain how

  24. #24Wolf2009-07-13 18:26

    Where are you in California, Brey?