Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lowboy moves (What do you Charge?)

Hopuser ยท 2010-02-07 21:39

Hi I was wondering what you all charge for lowboy moves? Our shop seem not to be able to make field calls. If thay have a dozer that needs a 1000 hour PM they want us to move it to the shop (8 Miles) if there is repairs to be made its like they always want us to lowboy the equipment to the shop The island I work on has thirteen miles of road and a service truck they seem to want a warm shop and a coffee pot. I remember when I was a service oiler and we did all repair and service in the field, majors in the shop like line boring and undercarriage work. I am looking at costs labor and truck costs but just wondering what you all charge We always charge the time to the work order but its jsut labot and not equipment time they don't want us to anymore cause the cost for a oil change are up with the add labor! We are going to charge labor and equipment time so thay use the support more wisely. Thanks Kris

Replies10
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2010-02-08 09:11

    lowboy prices The guys I use charge $150-$165 for a local move. I think they call a local move, no more than 30 miles from their shop, then the rate goes up accordingly. When you look at it, thats not bad money for about a 1 1/2 hr work. I dont never have to go to the site, I just tell them where it is and where it is going

  2. #2Red Bank2010-02-08 19:33

    I have two different guys that will move my 955k for around $100 per move, locally. I had thought about buying a trailer for my Mack to pull, but after figuring around $7000 and up for used 20 ton trailer, then the more expensive tag for the truck and then getting into the Federal tax I decided that I could pay my guys to move my loader a bunch:drinkup But back to the original question my example probably does not help much since I am sure my rates have a built in friendship discount

  3. #3barklee2010-02-08 22:47

    Bout the same around here. $150 or so for local moves. $95 per hour for anything beyond 30 miles or so. The guy we have dealt with before buying our own would quote anything beyond 30 miles

  4. #4rigandig2010-02-09 00:14

    I can't answer from my own experience as most of my moves are of things a bit more difficult than what you're dealing with. That being said, I have several friends locally that move equipment and the rate you gave sounds about inline with what they charge. I know that one of them figures his quotes based on what he figures his time will be in the move X $85.00 per hour.

  5. #5Will Musser2010-02-09 01:13

    8 Miles- $200 moves you anything from a D8 down for me. Bigger than that i take a good chance of gettting caught with no permit so more $ for the more risk.

  6. #6Contract Logger2010-02-09 02:16

    We move up to 450 sized hoes all the time in Alaska, charge for the lowbed, load regardless, is $ 350.00 an hour, 3 hour minimum. Permits and pilots, if needed, would be above that, at cost, no markup. Notice, I charge $ 950.00 just to start the truck basically, and could be busier if I wanted to work harder. I dont.

  7. #7lowbeddaryl2010-03-15 01:14

    Here in B.C Canada, I like to get $135.00 per hour and 1.5 hour min. for say a 200 size machine. A 450 size hoe with no buckets would be around $175.00 per hr , 4 hr min. Up here a ex200 would be hired out at $125-135.00 per hr w/operator. All permits and pilots on top

  8. #8joispoi2010-03-17 14:50

    If you're trying to drive a point across to the guys in the shop, charge for truck time plus the diver's labor. Can't get any clearer than that.

  9. #9prenn1984@gmail2010-03-18 01:06

    $350 x 3 is $1050 if that is your usual you think you would know that:beatsme i'll run a fleet up there if there is that much work, paying that well

  10. #10Contract Logger2010-03-18 01:33

    LOL, I suppose I would know that if we were running at less than the 3 hr minimum. Cant remember a move we made lately that took less than 5 hrs... Last trucker that came up from south was a fellow named Hagara from Aberdeen Wash. All 6 trucks were burned the 2nd week in. Some T800 dumps, never did catch anyone I dont think, bet then there isnt much law around, ever. They burned pretty hot, check it out. Hagara was gone a week later.