Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lowboy Strobe Light Wiring

AJsOffroad ยท 2008-12-28 19:53

Hi. I am looking for any information on how to wire strobe lights on the rear of our lowboy trailer. It is a 1997 Entyre Blackhawk 55 ton hydraulic detach. I am also wondering if it can be wired where I can turn the strobes on/off from the cab of the truck when the trailer is attached. Is there anyway I can go through the 7 pin light connector? I will also have a battery on the trailer so when the trailer is detached there will be strobes. Any help would be appreciated.:usa

Replies6
  1. #1D3B Dave2008-12-28 21:55

    I use the trailer marker lights. I installed a quick connect in the wiring at the back of the trailer, and just plug the strobe in when needed. This saves trying to wire in another circuit. If the amp draw of the strobe is the same or less than the marker circuit all is well. When I need strobes I just turn on the marker lights. Works for me.

  2. #2AJsOffroad2008-12-29 22:52

    I might do this, it seems like a very easy solution. Do you do anything for when the trailer is detached. I'm always afraid someone is not going to see the trailer and run into it, when it's detached.

  3. #3Chaz Murray2008-12-29 23:23

    Depending on how the trailer is wired and if it has ABS or not there would be 2 ways this could be done. If the trailer dose not have ABS you could use the blue wire and run that back to the strobes and in the truck put the blue wire on a toggle switch...just have to remember to turn the switch on if you ever pull a trailer with an ABS valve on it since thats where it pulls the power from. If you have it wired with a ABS valve there is a good chance the Black (need to check and make sure...I might be wrong on this and might be the Brown wire) wire is now the spare...You can toggle that one on the dash and use that to power the strobe. now this is all based on how we get harnesses from Phillips so it may be different so may need to do a little testing to see what does what.

  4. #4AJsOffroad2008-12-30 17:54

    I thought there was an extra wire in that harness I could use but wasn't sure if that was how others were doing it. Thanks for the info and also you guys make some rad trailers I checked out your page.:usa

  5. #5Iron Horse2009-01-05 17:03

    I use a Vision Alert brand rotating light . It has a female push on barb fitting on it's base . The male barb is left on the trailer and has permanent clearance light power going to it . You must travel with your lights on with a wide load so the juice is always there . You simply push the light onto it's mating barb and turn the lights on . This method allows the trailer to be towed by any truck . If you use the aux. wires in the truck plug , every truck that hooks up to the trailer needs to be the same , which is a pain as a lot of trucks are not wired for aux. It also suits 12volt or 24volt trucks as you can just slip the drive belt onto the bigger or larger pulley to slow down or speed up the light for either voltage . When not in use the light is simply stored in the toolbox .

  6. #6Jammar72009-08-18 23:44

    Easiest is to just use power from your marker lights. When you are required to have your strobes on (under permit) you're also required to have your lights on as well. You can install a battery (in line) with a switch to the strobes. Then you'll have power when detached. You should still install a switch on the trailer for the strobes so they are not on when you don't want them. Then install a solinoid circut coming off your marker light wire ahead of the battery. This will work as a trickle charger but won't allow the battery to "back feed" the marker lights when you turn them off. Another benefit to this is if you pull in and park in the daylight and forget to shut off the strobes....... You won't get an embarrassing phone call at 10:00 p.m. telling you that your strobes are still flashing. Ooops!