What's up everyone. We are currently freshening up our lowboy trailer and truck. I am looking for some inspiration and thought that with all the iron on this site there has to be plenty of lowboys to move it. If you have any pictures of lowboys, loaded or not, Please post them up. I would appreciate it. Thanks AJ Here is a picture of our setup. 1991 Peterbilt 377 with a 99 Etnyre Blackhawk 55 ton non ground bearing.
This is the one i'm trying to buy at present . It has BiFold ramps and a tiltable middle deck . It also has a 20,000lb winch . It can be used as a drop deck or with the deck tilted it can load pavers , buses etc .
now thats a sweet trailer horse, who makes it? lusty?
JTB , check them out . They also build tilt slides (roll backs) and Super Tilt tri axle trailers . The low loading angle of this one wins my heart . I like your handle , at school they called me Reggie one wheel , because i could ride all the way to school on one wheel . When i got my license they changed it to Reggie Redline , as everywhere i went the engine was Redlining .
thanks horse, yeah thats why i got the name redline to from riding hypersports bikes at redline, though luckily never faster than my angel could fly along beside me (one minor collision with the pavement shed some light on my impending fate but i headed the warning soon enough)
mmmmm horse very nice specs on that jtb site, very impressive
pretty standard truck...but here goes
site was slow..pictures never uploaded
low loaders Have a look at this thread.
Nice Pete dirt digger. What year is it?
Can't believe I beat hoeman to the punch on this one...:beatsme but here are a couple of ours...:usa
Here is a a pic. of our old 35 ton hyster folding goose neck trailer this thing really worked great we added ramps for rear loading the dozer and track hoe and to make things faster you could even use an over head crane
AJsOffroad i think its a 1979
Here are a few good ones I have from the West Coast
Nice trucks JimBruce! What kinda power you got in that first truck pictured?
heres mine
How much weight is that trailer rated for?
Rated @ 47 Tons. in california im allowed 20K on my front axle 46,750 in the drives and 60,000 On the 16 tire trailer group spread out to 10' on my annual permit. Tare weight of the truck and trailer are like 31K and change
How do you change the inner tires? It doesn't look like there's enough room to get a wrench in there or even slide the rim off the studs.
Talk about a nightmare. Man, I bet that she doesn't steer to easy.
Thanks for posting those, there have been several comments on the twin wheels we run in the UK / Europe and I assumed those guys commenting were used to what you show there but I had not seen a good picture of the set up. I have the same thought as Steve, how the *ell do you change an inner wheel. :drinkup
For some reason I would of thought it could be more.:beatsme
The rear end of the trailer expands out from 8'6" wide to 10' wide so it gives you pleanty of room to remove the tires when that is done. Also to get the 60,000lbs on that group it has to be spread to 10' wide anyway in California and other states here are a couple pics here of it expanded and closed http://www.murraytrailer.com/new/Professional/professional02.html
Thanks Chaz, thats quite amasing, I've never seen that before. :notworthy
thats how they roll out west!
workin on tryin to change that to west and southeast
I spent a year out in Sacramento, it was amazing to see a D10 complete and 657's going down the road. Awesome website by the way!!!
Great pics
But , how do you do it on a fixed trailer with rows of 8 tyre/tires ? Do you need to lift the trailer and swing 1 axle up and 1 axle down ?
come on out east chaz:notworthy
Chicagoland area
Not quit as legal as you guys but still fun!:notworthy
On a 16 tire group we do not build, nor does any company that I know of, a fixed 8'6" wide. We do build, along with others, 10 wide 16 tire groups so removing tires is not a problem. The only real reason for the trailer to be able to expand like that is to allow the trailer to be a "legal" load when not loaded heavy and when loaded heavy it has to be spread to 10' wide for CA, NV, AZ, UT, FL, TX and a few other states to get max weight.
Nice pics Cletus Especially the D-10R behind that C-500. Looks like you have the cat plenty forward to get weight on the drivers so you can make it up the hills in that gravel.
This is a fixed , non widening trailer with a single row of 8 tyres . They also come as two rows of 8 , 3 rows of 8 etc . Can someone tell me how the inner wheels are removed as the trailer does not widen ?
Well here's my old wagon I sold a year ago, '86 Murray 16 tire, 20.5' deck, good solid trailer. And here's my current wagon, '98 TrailEze, 44', hyd tail, self contained, air ride & I love it.
Looking good!:thumbsup:thumbsup
Torch? all kidding aside i bet theirs barely enough room to get the tire and wheel off the end of the hub and studs. getting a wrench in their is bound to be a pain in the ass.
Thats a sweet looking old KW:thumbsup
Here's my old '86 Murray, 16 tire expando, 20.5' deck, good solid trailer. Here's the current wagon, '98 TrailEze beavertail, 44' x 102", air ride, self contained, sweet trailer for the small stuff.
Hey picklez i think he wanted LOWBED pics not pictures of flippy tail cheeters
Thats a lazyman's lowbed, and you know you wish you didnt have to throw ramps. :notworthy You tryin to say I'm not in the lowbed club anymore?? ------->> :ban
well your membership might come under review at the next meeting. I think the only thing anyones ever seen on your murray is them ramps :deadhorse
WHOA... wait a minute here. Come to think of it I've only seen 1 pic of your trailer loaded EVER! You mean to tell me you dont remember all the "gorgeous" pics of that trailer loaded when it was blue? What gives supertrucker? :beatsme Here's a terrible phone pic (when I first got the phone) and it sucks BUT it's loaded..
Thats SIR Edmond Super trucker to you... Thats about as many times as the damn thing has been loaded. :Banghead OR scrap superstar as 3408cc likes to call me ointhead
Here is a guess,don't know but could be ? The center four tires slide out the rear instead of spreading.Looks like the rear of the lowboys has a space from the main frame ,so maybe they do slide out the rear If they did then you would be able to change the tires with them slide back.Also when loaded maybe they are run out the rear for more length?In when empty. Just a guess ,so someone else will have to figure out a better idea:beatsme :usa
On the old 16 tire fixed frame superior or peerless they used to jack up one side quite aways then you could a gun or breaker bar in there,the best I could remember the trailers were not loaded at the time. But then that was a while ago. Glad those days are gone.
I love old Kenworths. My 82 with a 475 twin turbo Cummins !
There is lots of room on mine but it's 11 wide.:beatsme
Thanks for the thumbs up's & Cletus, nice 900A! :notworthy Man that 11' wide trailer is a monster, do you know the weight of just the trailer??
I don't know the weight. I use it off road so I am not concerned at this time about that. I bought it from a contractor I work for some times. They bought it out of Canada and took it to Sand Point Alaska and discoverd it was way too big for their needs. I bought it last March and need to clean it up and make it look respectable. It has a high goose neck that sits on an off highway log bunk. They welded a piece of piling on to extend the king pin. I want to cut the goose neck and lower it about 24". It is a 100 ton Fruehauf 11' X 22' well. 47' overall. Spoke wheels. I would appreciate any info on this trailer. I think it came out of British Columbia.:beatsme
OMG that's rough . An accident waiting to happen . Where would an inspector start with trying to describe that mess on his booking sheet ? Skid plate way under thickness , tube extension ????? and Galvanised to boot so the welds would be susspect . A little knowledge can be leathal sometimes .
:notworthyWOW Mr. Picklez, Madeline looks good hooked to that Murray!:notworthy Not sac swing'n, just say'n thats all!
Thats OK Tonka, I wont tell Sousa your in the swing club. :stirthepot I miss that trailer sometimes, but dont miss throwing the ramps all day long. :Banghead
yea i like a good beaver myself!
Nothing fancy! Here's my old 1968 Hyster 35ton lowboy that i use to move my dozers.It has the walking tandem and i have changed out the back two axile tires to 17.5 rims so i can run tubless tires.Still running splitrims and tubtype on the front axile. Hopefully sometime i will get them changed out also.I was always getting flats on the back tires so going tubless helped that out. Also just throwing in a pic of unloading the lowboy while i'm here.:usa
I believe they changed to 17.5 inch rims so as to create a larger air gap between the rims and brake drums . Radiated heat coming from the brake drums was causing the tubes to fail on the 15 inch wheels as the tube was literaly only an inch away from a very hot surface .
Ironhorse i didn't have a problem with the tires and heat it was from the front axiles tires would tend to tip up nails and the second and last set of tires was always getting flats. Always seem like i get flats in late summer when the grader stur up old nails,wire,objects and the ground surface being harder?:beatsme With the 17.5 rims(one piece) tubeless tires i could usual just air them up and at least make the move then fix ,where you can't do that with tube type. Plus the old split rims are a pain and dangerous to fix !!!!!! Just a couple reason i switched them,but heat and blowing tire wasn't an issue,but most of my hauls are just short hauls:usa
I would appreciate any info on this trailer. I think it came out of British Columbia.:beatsme[/QUOTE] It sure looks like an old oilfield trailer built to haul behind a bed tandem winch truck, I'd bet that at one time i had a loading hitch on the front of it. Man that is a nice looking KW you got there. I'd also bet that tractor pulling it came from Northern Oilfield Services or VECO who bought them, which means I probably drove it at one time. Thanks for the memories.
Seeing that hooked up with a D9 ? on board sure puts it into perspective. :cool2 In the picture showing the DIY extension it looks like another form of attachment right at the front, looks like it could be a centre pivot pin where it mounted to a cross bolster maybe?............... :Banghead just reread it, maybe thats what you are refering to where it " sits on an off highway log bunk " :drinkup
Cletus , i'm sure you are aware but i will say it just in case . If you cut the 24 inches out of the gooseneck , it will not only lower it but also move back as the uprights are not vertical . I would guess the king pin will move rearward around 12" or more . This will cause the rear of the truck chassis and possibly the rear drive tyres to foul the gooseneck . You may need to use a 3/4" skid plate with forward gussetes to make proud of the front face to counteract the rearward movement of the pin . In short , i think the pin centerline will need to be where the old oscilator mount is now .
Yes this beauty came from VECO. Bud MaGee in Fairbanks got all VECO's surplus equipment thru some arrangrment and for many years sold it from his yard there. I bought the truck three years ago from Bud. I don't have the name of the original owner with me but it was (somthing) Flatbed Service then Northern Oilfield Service and of course VECO. It has a sister that was still in the VECO fleet in 07. 77 LW900 1693 orig 3406B now 5X4 org, I put in a 6 speed main w/.08 overdrive 52K Rears And my favorite part, 6" straight pipes:naughty I worked for Mukluk
Yes, my welding and fabricating buddies and I have brainstormed a plan to put a pin and plate on the original oscilator mount where all the strenght is. It looks real good for taking a 24 inch piece out as far as the pin movement, I'll have lot's of room when I get the attachment point back where it belongs! That was quite a Quik & Dirty fix.
California bonus purple 5 axle load
Nice truck. I like the floaters up front.
here ya go guys a bit from oz just a small jump up not much http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPeF7TUY8Xc
Here is ours 2005 Mack Granite 460 hp 1998 Rogers 50 ton trailer both were hit by a train 2 years ago at 40mph and are still on the road today
We have had 2 train hits...one back in the late 50's early 60's my grandfather for some reason had the front of the truck on the tracks and did not see the train coming...It tore the front of the truck off at the firewall! and my grandpa walked away from with with nothing more than a scratch on his thumb...and back in the 90's one of our drivers was backing out of a job site that had a private RR crossing that did not have lights or arms...he ended up getting the trailer half way across then got nailed by an Amtrak. ended up ripping the goose neck off the deck of the trailer and sent the rest of the trailer down the tracks....funny thing is when the trailer left the yard it was 8'6" wide and no permit to move it....when it came back in the yard it was 13' wide and had to have a permit to get it back ha ha. ended up having to throw the deck away but kept the rear end and goose neck and built a new deck for it and put it back on the road a couple weeks later. I am goin to have to track down some pictures....I know we have them somewhere in the archives.
drop me a PM, I worked for Mukluk also. just had lunch with a couple of old Mukluk hands a couple of weeks ago.
Yea says alot for the Rogers trailer tho to be hit like that and come out wth only a small dent and the tractor had no damage at all we just changed the 5th wheel for good measure the extec crusher on the back tho is a different story
Hi. I almost bought one of these trailers. Turned out not to be legal now in Washington State because of bridge loading regulations. Tandems distribute the load better and are easier on bridge sections. The inner tires can be dismounted by laying on your belly and reaching down between them with a breaker bar. Forget using a rattle-rench on the inside ones!
What's everyones opinion on the best brand of lowboys. I'm looking at a few new 50 toners, but can't really see the difference besides price between trail king, rogers, fontaine, talbert, and so on.
Murray? if I was running over the road and had to be legal in most states it would be an XL specialized. Rogers has always been what all the guys that I know back east swear by.
All i can say is that the Rogers in that picture too a train at 40 MPH and is still on the road there are 4 train cars out of service
Dualie would that Xl DD be sitting right next to the Murray you have now? You know, the one with how ever many miles it is from Stockton to your yard..
What about a fontaine? They had the best price so far.
especially in lowbeds cheaper is not better. i personally wouldn't buy a Fontaine. I would go and look at some used trailers about five or 6 years old. that will give you a good idea on how well a particular brand will hold up over time
Lowboys are awesome. Nice trucks, trailers and big equipment/loads all rolled into one. Can't get much better than that. I have some nice pictures of Allan A. Myers lowboy hauling a 345 and some others hauling nice loads. But i cant figure out how to post them.
Once you've made your required number of posts (I think it's 4?) go to manage attachments, then browse for the photos you want and post them.
Here is another picture of our lowboy before we repainted it.
Thanks JimBruce42
Your welcome... That champion in your avatar looks familar. Where is it from?
I went to school at Pennsylvania College of Technology and went through the heavy equipment operator program, and that was one of the Motor Graders that the school owned. It was a Champion 720A, very nice machine. There have probably been other pics put up of it somewhere on this site.
Some pics of Allan A Myers lowboy. There lowboy is sick! hopefully i will be working for them here within the next month!
Some more of myers lowboy. Also i worked for a paving company last summer called Ruston paving. They had a older Pete and they had just gotten a brand new Freightliner. Pretty nice trucks, you can easily tell that its a Ruston truck or equipment cuzz all there trucks and equipment are all painted "Ruston Blue" as they call it. The other lowboy if from DDS.
more.
and more.
Even more.
And more. haha
Thats all of them haha!:usa :drinkup
Yep, I thought so.... been there, done that too. Welcome to HEF:drinkup Where did you find our (AAM) 815 at?
I dont remember what job the 815 was on. But in early December i came down and Bill Knauer drove me around to different jobs.
Hey millertime did you take those Myers pics? Cause they look like the ones Hoeman600 took!
No i didnt take them. They might be the ones he took i have had them on my computer for a while now im not to sure where i got them from. Most likely from this site somewhere so i wouldn't doubt that there were the ones he took. Just some nice lookin lowboy pics i liked.
:exactly :umno to #1 and :exactly on #2 but its going to have twice as many miles on it in a couple of weeks. once i get the damned truck back and running its makeing a visit to chaz for some "updates" at this rate i might have to put brakes on it some time around the year 2040
How well does the folding gooseneck work? Do you have trouble with the kingpin getting dirty, etc?
Just having some fun with the old girls. '79 W900 '51 D8 Cable Dozer Murray 16 tire
^^^:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy^^^ VVV GN Renn lowbed on 101 lsat year VVV
I just picked this trailer up the other day for shifting our 9L around the farm. I still need to make some folding ramps for it so that I dont have to push up a heap of dirt to get on.
Here is mine. She is a 1990 with Cummins power and a 13 speed. Trailer is a 1995 Fontaine 50 tonner. I just painted the truck as the previous owner layed it next to a bank along with a 34 foot end dump. Full polished fenders and 8" stright stacks are in the shop ready to go on.
here some pics random pics of afew trucks ive driven. need to get my new pics down loaded off my camera.
a few more
and some more
MCM Managements "in town lowboy" They have two new petes with sleepers that run anything more than a few hours away.
Some nice rides in here. And to think I was chuffed with myself for painting our old trailer.
hey theise are my picts..I took them cool:drinkup
yep their mine...:Banghead
I like that white kenworth with the flames! Im a sucker for a nice Kenworth:usa:notworthy
here's an AI truck from today on the fly!!
Looks like ya got a bit of a crack in your windshield there Kevin:Bangshead I have a photo of AI-VA lowboy, but it's back home on my computer, I'll have to get it later... :drinkup
Well, I'd like to post a couple of pics of my lowboys, but being new on this BB I'm not allowed, yet. I've got somewhere around 5000 pics on disc to pick from, so maybe between now and the time I'm allowed, I can come up with a couple of good ones. Ah, decisions, decisions. Should it be a current pic, or one from the early days. Maybe one of each. Lots of nice looking lowboys on here. Rigandig
Rigandig Welcome to the forum Looks like you have your 3 posts now, so you can add attachments. Hope to see some good ones.
yea i thought so!
Thanks Jerry, Here's one from my avitar,104 yard bucket, and one with a 375 Cat, and one from the mid 70's with a 4600 manitowoc carbody. And then the latest addition to my trailer collection is the perimeter frame with the autoclave on it and one at the factory picking it up. Hope these come out ok. Rigandig
Nice. Quite a bow in the float behind the old Autocar.
Back then that little swag in the deck wasn't even a consideration. Tried to load one of the perimeter with a load on it, but guess it got lost, or I got lost. Will make another attempt. Seems that one was to large, so here's a bit of a different angle. And a look at the clearance on top. Another day in tha neighborhood. Rigandig
Here are a couple of a Trackmobile on one of our Landoll 825 lowbed.
385 and 245 Michigan style. Borrowed from a friends album. Same "in town truck." Finally, one of the over the road lowboys.
heres a Wirtgen grinder on one of our Landolls and a CAT Loader on a Murray8tire And a Wirtgen on a Murray 16 tire
Got ya, Hi Rigandig, its been bugging me that I seemed to know your handle, that picture solved the problem, I followed your movement of that piece on another forum I used to visit a couple of years ago, really pleased you joined us. :drinkup
Yea, that load was a hair puller Atlas Rob. Took about 3 weeks to make that move (1500 miles). All I have to do is mention Drag Line to the wife and she has a fit. Been a lot of miles and loads since then. Glad to be here and able to post. Rigandig
Just a few shots of one of our tractors and lowboys, not a huge load but it is over 10 foot wide at the blade so its oversized. Trbo
Here are some more pics, some from the distant past, and some not so distant.. Rigandig
Can't seem to load more than 4 pics at a time. Oh well. Here ya go.
It must be I'm exceeding something here. Can't get but one to post now.
Some lowbody's from Belgium . The Hitachi on pic's 4 & 5 is my machine .
My old CAT 345BLR on the lowboy
Cat 345BLR, great Pics. That's an interesting set-up. Does the deck hook to the trl in the front much the same as out goosenecks? And it appears that you have the capability to add axles as needed on the front trl. Is that true and if so, how many and what capacity do they allow? Thanks, Rigandig
I don't know anything about the capacity's of those lowboy's . The can change the combination of the axles . 2 deck 4 , 2 deck 5 , 3 deck 4 , 3 deck 5 ,....
some more pics of a 2 deck 4 from Faymonville . http://www.faymonville.com/
Hey RnD... you commented before about tight spots :Banghead You consider trading your W900 and 379 for a short wheel base cab over? LoL It might make your life easier
You can load max of 5 in a post, upload the first 3 then another 2 :drinkup Great pics from both you and 345 :notworthy I never got the chance to play with a set of wheels at the front, a tri axle without steer was quite a pain in most of the places I ended up at post 13 here if you want a laugh
HeavyEquipmentForums in Diesel Power Hello Heavy Equipment Forums.com, My name is Jason and I am a editor at Diesel Power magazine. Right now I am writing an article about trailers. I am trying to describe the perfect heavy equipment trailer. I noticed the lower the better. I typed in a search at google and next thing I know I am here looking at some seriously low trailers. Glad I found this forum looks interesting. Anyone want to get in the magazine? If so send me a picture of your low trailer. I like to use my e-mail address so you can send big high res images at least 1.0Mb in file size. [email protected] So the two biggest factors are? 1. Being Low (for ease of loading and low center of gravity). 2. Having a lot of section height in the frame to reduce flexing.
Welcome aboard Jason. I should add that I am UK based. I would add to (1) above, being low is also important to get clearance for the bigger loads under bridges. You now see excavator troughs ( the hollow at the rear between the wheels which is to allow the dipper arm on excavators to get lower) With reference to (2) I would not class that as the second most important. I dont relate deck thickness / profile to strength, although I probably should I believe the strength is increased with more steel rather than bigger sections of steel but I dont design or build um and can quite easily be corrected For me in Europe I would say manouverability is the most or second most important factor with any low loader hence the growth and popularity of all steer axles. Next for me has to be usability, eg, Hydraulic knockout kneck. I realise this is not necessarily so State side as winches are quite common, but it is still a case of how easy is it to split and reconnect. I know some manufacturers have a far easier operation than some others. It is not always possible to split down on tarmac, if you are on site and the trailer sinks as you load the machine can you still get hooked back up
I think you have seen the pipes/suzies in the lower left of this picture. My understanding is that a 2 or 3 ( possibly more) axle section can be added or removed as easily as removing the neck but these are a module either 2 or 3 or ? axles. The trailers are either 3, 4, 5 axle I dont believe the rear end is a module but I do stand to be jumped on The connection neck to module or neck to trailer is exactly the same. I have seen empty rigs on the highway with a 3 axle module sat on the deck, saves tyre wear, drag and is shorter until you need it Hope this helps. :drinkup
I don't think so Mike. Did enough time in cabovers back in the 70's. To spolied now with the glide ride.
CAT compactor on 16 tire Murray
Oh I hate watching those get loaded...with as few cleats that are on the wheels I am surprised it did not punch a hole right through the wood deck. Whats even worse is watching someone load one over the rear! it just destroys the islands on the rear end. Most of the time when we haul them we have a steel plate we will set on the deck before loading.
Whats up Chaz yeah i know what you mean.We had steel plates and some rubber conveyor belt.Its a pain to have to put it all on but its worth it.Whats worse i had to move a double drum roller after so had to undo all the chains that were on the steel plates to load and unload.
Anyone pulling a COZAD???
Loaded ready to roll in the morning ,if it does not rain again:Banghead
Testa's Lowboy's These first few images are from a Mantis pickup at the Linden Plant in New Jersey last year. The last three are from a job in Virginia and feature Testa's new Peterbilt heavy haulers.
heres one I got on Rt. 14 in Wyoming
Real fine pictures guys. Chaz are you the tall slim blond guy that always showed up to move Dillingham's heavy loads?
Not my truck, just one I happened across, in decent shape. Trailer is an Eager Beaver 35GSL, these guys swore by them.
Bye bye....:drinkup
Nice pictures everyone,,, i wish we had a detach, currently running an '86 Hart scissor neck, BTW does anyone have any experience with that model trailer. I can't find any info on it what so ever and i really need parts for it.
Heres a couple of pictures of our lowboy, 50 ton Hart scissor neck.:usa
Here's one I did last week a brand new Cat 345 excavator
No I did not drive or pilot any loads when Dillingham was still around. About the only thing we really moved around a lot for them was the 4100 Manitowoc crane they had and a couple truck cranes that required the 40ft deck in the 9 axle. You are probably thinking of Steve Eales. He drove for us for 20+ years and almost always did the big loads. He has been with Teichert Construction driving a lowbed for them for the last 11+ years...he was gone before I started working for the company in 1998
Here are a couple of pictures of a Cat 325 that was burned up that one of our drivers and myself loaded and hauled to the scrapyard.We used our roll back truck and a 36 k Hyster forklift to load on the lowbed.
how much did the scrap go for that day?
Here is a picture of our lowboy after we sandblasted, painted and re decked it this past winter.
AJS, what kind of trailer is that? Got any more pics?
Around here scrap is 25 to 50 a ton. Pry didnt pay real well to haul it to the scrap yard after you figure fuel and labor.
It is a 1998 Etnyre Blackhawk 55 ton. Here are a couple pictures of her before the new paint job.
Here are a few pics of my truck and 3rows8 trailer.
Jared I love the first picture. That is a pretty tight fit there. Hope you didn't lose any paint off of the sides going through. Nice trailer. Wish we could run that wide deck here. With the wide deck and ramps, loading looks like a breeze. We could not run that tall though with the deck over the tires. Too many bridges.
That Terex seems like a lot of freight without using a Converter Dolly , is that a legal load ? A question ive been wanting to ask you guys on the other side of the puddle , the pictures of excavators with their tracks in mid air . Do you block the machine somehow from the track frame to the trailer deck and then lift the trailer ? If so , how do you do this as there is not really much of a flat surface on the track frame to sit the machine on ?
Regarding the excavator question, it is all about axle loading. To get a 50 ton machine legal on a California legal 7 axle you have to get enough weight forward to load both the jeep and the truck axles, and keep from being over on the rear trailer axles. To do this, we place ramps at the front of the trailer, and walk the tracks up on them until enough weight is off of the rear. The chain the thing extra tight, since it is resting only on the idlers and the ramps, which are nearly in the middle of the track. Getting it up there is not a task for the faint hearted. I used to do it on a 8'wide Cozad, with the ramps mostly on the outriggers. Lets just say I am glad not to have the narrow deck trailer anymore. It is no fun repositioning while up on the ramps when a track slips.
JDOFMEMI, coming through from that end is a breeze, only get sum rub marks on the tyres. The other end is really tight, I use crawler gear to enter even when I'm empty. The pic with the Terex is the trailer at max width, 3.7m(12'3") as I was shifting it on a private haul rd. Standard running width is between 2.9-3.1m(9'6"-10'3") depending on the route I'm taking. Being hydraulic suspension I can load on a camber and keep the deck level and my travelling deck height is 3'. Here's a pic from the other end, not that flash though.
Ironhorse, I shifted the Terex about 3miles along a private haul road so didnt bother with a dolly. The old girl had thrown a leg out of bed and we had to push her on with a WA700 wheel loader. I can cart a 100,000lb payload just truck and trailer or 143,000lb when I use a 2rows8 dolly as well. Here's a pic off my Cat ID when I was pulling 176,000lb gross. 2nd Lo in an 18spd with 4.3 rears and 550hp C15 @ 80% throttle for around 35mins constant. Pic showing 0.11 km/L (110m per L), not sure what it converts to in mpg.
Yeah i hear you I didnt understand it either but they paid us for our time so how could I complain.I think the guy that had us haul it who also owns the scrap yard must have got it real cheap.And I also think they were gonna strip it down and sell the good parts.WHO knows.Last summer we hauled a bunch of scrap equipment and I know the bill had to be pretty steep,but some how the guy came out ahead:beatsme
scrap was threw the roof last year
How is this done ? Where do you block the machine up ? How wide is the trailer deck ? Is the machine blocked and then lifted with the trailer or is the machine lifted with it's boom and then blocked ? Thank's .
My RIg Here is my truck and trailer shifting a D9 it is FM 12 Volvo pulling a 4axle drake with self steering on the 2 rear axles
Some Aussie examples.... Jared I really like your pics, that must be a pretty tough day on the equipment and the operator...I wouldnt know whether to spend more time looking ahead or in the mirror:dizzy ! What part of NZ is that if you dont mind me asking?
It's in the Buller Gorge on the South Island's West Coast.
thanks for the info...more neat pics!
I cant answer all the questions but hope this will help We call it belly loading and is usual for over height and / or heavy wide loads that will do more harm than good to the outriggers. That trailer is almost certainly on air which makes it very easy. Drop the air out of the suspension, split the neck and pull clear. Track / drive the load so it straddles the bed but is still on the ground. Block the machine between the trailer deck and the underside of the machine. Positioning of the timber blocks will be governed by the load bearing members of the trailer and where you can block the machine. Chain the machine securely. Hook the neck back on and inflate the air. The load will lift off the ground. Additional clearance of the tracks can be gained if it is parked on timbers before blocking the load. When lifted it will be belly loaded but higher by the height of the blocks you parked the machine on. Once off the ground, If the machine has worn/loose tracks the slack can be taken up by placing a steel pin ( or similar) in the top of the drive sprocket and reversing the track ever so gently, this pulls the the slack from the bottom. ( I spotted that on a pic posted a while ago ) The other option is a beam trailer. The loading is basically the same but the deck is only a centre beam, much narrower than a standard trailer so heavy loads that do not have 9' clearance between the tracks can still be carried low. :drinkup I cant guarantee it, but I suspect these are beam not a full width deck. compliments of http://www.hse-nooteboom.com/gallery/
A few pictures of the 7 axle lo-loader (2 bed 5) from Walters plant hire that i used to work for! you can see here abit better how to block them up on the deck!
Here's a few, that i've hauled. couple others in the mills section
Thank you Rob and cps , it's clear to me now . The beams in those trailers must be very strong as they are taking all the weight in a small space . It looks like a better way to cart all excavators . I was wondering how you would get the tracks so tight without a grease gun , thanks Rob .
No Prob Iron horse, heres another were you can see the track humped up were the pin is!
Here is our '04 Fontaine 51 ton.
I have never pulled a beam trailer but I have seen them put a pin like a drawbar pin etc between the sprocket teeth and the rail and rotate the sprocket to take up the slack in the track chain which gives you the clearance you need on the bottom to keep them from dragging.That seems like a good solution to me.Ron G
any more pics of that RIO?:notworthy:drinkup
Randy Supac & Truett Novistad haulin Equipment in Tx!
Great pics, tonka! Some AWESOME rigs:drinkup
thanks man here's some more!
love them trucks tonka:drinkup:drinkup
Here's another from this week.
those trucks are SICK tonka! Thanks for the pics!
A few more pictures of one of our trucks and lowbed
Mine with a 30T Doosan onboard.
And a few more on our 7axle
Heres a pic of one of our lowboys. 2008 Pete with a 600/660 Cummins and a 4 axle Trail King.
Nice pic,what kind of weight do they give you on that set up?
From what I got from the driver, hes good to 186,000 gross. We also have an extra axle that pins on behind the drivers that will put it up to 199,000 gross. One of these days, I'll get a pic of that! Jason
So how does that break down per axle group,do they group the 4 on the trailer as two sets or is it one?Its funny when we load a machine like that cat we try and get it all the way forward to get the weight closer to the tractor and jeep ,you go the other way gotta love all these different state weight requirments.
I havent got the foggiest idea how that wold break down. I dont drive transport, but if I did, Im sure I would be in jail for a while! I know for one fact, that when our lowboys go into California, all our drop axels need to be CHAINED up. What is with that crap? Are the bleeding hearts afraid of a alligator? Never quite understood why a 657 or a D10 could be moved in one piece in Cali, but has to be torn down to go some where else. I know the rules are differnt every where you go, but it gets old after a whille Jason
Heavy haul is hard enough when you are just in one state. Add crossing state lines where the laws change, and it is enough to make your head spin. I had an A-25 Volvo brought from Florida to CA and when the driver got to CA, he had to raise one of the axles on his 3 axle trailer. He had to drop the air bags, and chain the axle to the frame, then raise tha bags so only 2 axles were on the ground. I understand that CA will now permit a 3 axle group, but the rules are not consistent with anywhere else. It is hard for me to understand the logic of increasing the axle load by carrying on 2 axles what was good for the rest of the trip on 3. Nick Nice 7 axle pictures there. Don't you just love loading 50 ton excavators where you have to put them up on ramps to balance the axle loads?
A D10 can be moved in one piece in Cali? In Mass a D8 is probably the heaviest we can move whole Gross Weight is 130,000 lbs unless you get a superload permit which is ridiculously expensive. All these new rules are a PITA if you ask me.
One photo from Iceland The liebherr 954 is 54 ton
And my faverit lowbody semitrailer
Heres a few from today and yesterday. We finally picked up a job for the 605's, so away they go! This is a gypo truck that has hauled for our company for years.
Heres a couple shots of his 'Ape Hanger' gear shifter!
big Murray from Utah.....
that is one nice rig!
here's a 389 they have
Tonka I thought I recognized that truck. It is from Construction Truck and Trailer. Thair website has a load of pictures of that one, and many more nice trucks. Check it out here: http://www.constructiontruckandtrailer.com/hhdivision.asp
That one is not ours...that one is a Cozad ...but that company dose have a few of our M2000's
Now there is a front of one of our trailers in that picture
:duh woopsie sorry mr murray......:Banghead
don't know if this really counts but it's the biggest I got right now
Couple of mine
Heres a couple from last week. We moved the 5110 on to another project, and I was able to catch a pic or two before it left.
JTL, great pics, very interesting to see how they move the really big stuff! Any idea what moving the 5110 might have cost? Thanks, and keep the pics commin.
Ive never asked anyone what the cost is, but have heard through the grapevine it costs about 50,000 bucks each time. We have to have one big lowboy, and five step-decks, or smaller lowboys to move the machine. Then the cost of a crane at each job site. Not to mention all the man time to disassemble and reassemble. Its a good thing that machine makes us money!!
Yep and i bet its all paid for buy the customer too... it's all in the contract.
Thats interesting, JTL...thanks for the info!
where you guys headed to now JTL? wish i could of made it up their before it left! oh well maybe next time. here are a few from around the area:
Good looking lowboys there Oakland. The hoe and the trucks are out at Hanford, the nuclear site near the Tri Citys. Im sure I'll end up out there before too long. I got a week of drilling to finish up then Im off to Graham, WA. Over by Seatlle. We should be back in Arlington this winter. Dont know if the 5110 will be back this time though. Jason
Here are a couple of an excavator I hauled a couple weeks ago . I have never seen one of these before and hope to never see another what a pain to load.
Nick I bet you did not load that one over the rear.
You are correct sir!It wouldnt even climb up over the front had to raise the machine with the stick and push the trailer under it.Strange controls on that thing for sure.I did try to load over the back first.:Banghead
Hey Nick i hope you took that POS to the scrap yard......
Yeah I did but they were gonna put a shear on it and put it to work:beatsme
I had one of those, back in the day that was the best machine, but that was back in the day.
Why in the world would you load a 627 foward, my last employer and everyone else I know drive them on and rest the back end on the gooseneck :beatsme
Here's one from today.
my guess would be so the cab dosent hit an overpass, but thats just me....:beatsme
our loader at work phone pics
some more some pis of the crusher and one of the excavators
No difference in cab height, the tractor sits on the main floor with tires right up against the front trailer axel
oh ok now i see what your saying, to me the deck looks too short to do that IMO
It may be to short our trailers are 55 ton Trail King with 25' decks, anyway it's a pain in the butt to load that way
You guys need a nice Murray proffessional to haul those. Drive it on over the rear, run it till the front tires hit the gooseneck, and chain it down. That leaves the rear tires on the pad between axles on the trailer, and the nose stuck up between the wide gooseneck rails. It is a 5 minute load. Maybe Chaz Murray can post some pictures. I don't have any with the scraper.
This trailer is a 53' Muv-All. The sides slide out to 13' and it has a winch in the nose for loading dead equipment.
Here a pic of a large paver been unloaded of my trailer
Here's a little week-end job that turned into a 4 day deal.
Hey rigndig what is that on your trailer?So what happened ?
That's a backup Genset Nick. What happened was, as best I can figure, there was such a push to get permits (thru emergency channels) that the unladen permit was pushed aside until monday. The job was supposed to be, go load, go unload, then go home. There was a time limit on how long the area could be tied up with large equipment, ie; cranes, forklifts, trk/trls, etc, and the ball being dropped on the unladen permit for me cost me, well them, 2 extra days, not including Sunday. I didn't mind even though I would have rather to have been done on saturday, but my hired help became a bit unsettled after going to the jobsite on Monday only to be told that it was a wasted trip. I had to remind them , they were being paid. Nothing really out of line, just the normal grumbling about some ignorant so and so:Banghead, and well, you've probably heard all that before.
hey rigandig, what model is your kw in that pic, w900? that's a big radiator, getting up round t800 size?
jared, It is a 1999 W900B. Good eye. The radiator is the same size as a T-800. It was ordered that way, big radiator, big air to air. Lots of extras that aren't found on a normal truck.
Rigandig, the grill looks a similar size to the T904/950's we have down here, although they may have a touch more height. From my trips to the states I've noticed the big range of hood shapes and sizes each particular model has. Would be great to see some more pics of your rig and it's specs sometime. Jared
Stockton Mine's lowboy
Jared, Great pics, thanks for postin. Looks like one of those deals where when that fella pulls up to load there ain't no doubt about whether he can get er dun or not You were askin about specs on the KW. I'll try to hit the high spots. 99 model W900B, 315"WB, 11/24.5 on drives, 385/60R on steer, 550Cat, 18spd, 2sp rears (4.11/5.86), 46K housings, 52K neway Suspension, 20K Lift axle, 72"slider, dbl lock HD holland 5th wheel, dbl framed front to back,big radiator and air to air, 150 gal fuel tanks, jake brake, and retarder and that's about it. I'm sure there's something I've left out, but that's the high spots.
Hi Guys, Great pictures, Any idea what the max. load is for the 777 lowbed?
Dozerdave, not sure of the lowboy's rating but the biggest gear it carts include a PC2000,5130,Ex1900 & 1800 and 2 D575's. Rigandig, thanks for the specs. What is the gcm, will they give you 120t with 46# diffs? My star is 106t because i wanted to stay with 46's and run 4.3:1 for economy. If i had've gone to 4.56 52's i'd get 120t. Add a 2spd joey box and it goes out to 150t. Cheers
Finally found some of my lowboy pictures to share
Here are some California 9 axle pictures
Love how that scraper is loaded!
:exactly That’s the way you are suppose to load a scraper
How the hey do you post a picture on here
You can move a Cat 375 whole in Cali? Is it a superload permit or something, Maximum weight in Mass. is 130,000 lbs unless you get a superload permit which can be pricey.
Look like to much work essayer to just drive it up the ramps block the front wheel so the hitch clears the neck and away you go.
It's not whole, the bucket is off of it Each state is a cluster.... of regulations. Here that 9 axle combination can permit for the following: Steer axle 22,000 Tandem drive 46,750 10' wide 16 wheel jeep 60,000 10' wide 16 wheel trailer 60,000 10' wide 16 wheel booster 60,000 Total gross (if you can balance it) 248,750# Tare weight about 75,000 approximately Weights for each state could be a huge thread all on its own, and we would be more confused than we already are. I like the way they do it down under. Thay must have had enough sense to build the bridges tall enough to have a flat deck trailer that you just drive up on and don't worry about the height. I wish we could use those Drake trailers here.
:my2c I disagree due to the fact in the States 90% use detachable trailers so it is easier to load going forward thus hauling the scraper backwards, also it can be very difficult to get the load distribution if you can't get the tractor over the gooseneck, with many trailers you can't accomplish this without running the tractor up on blocks, in recent years however they have designed trailers with lower profile goosenecks to alleviate this problem, however it's still easier to load and haul the scraper backwards all you have to do is place blocks under the cutting edge, cram the pan down re-hitch then raise the pan to rest the scraper on the gooseneck.
We could have a thread on that, I don't know why the states can't adopt the same laws, confusing. Or at least be close to each other.
This setup of ours is legal to 186,000 in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon. Other bordering states would throw our drivers in the big house for having the[ drop axels not chained up. I know its a bit under-loaded here, but its another one of our lowboys, so I thought I would add it to the collection.
gotta have 3 or more post I think:beatsme
Not all bridges are tall enough but we do have a stained height of 4.6 meters for pan tec and normal load's if you are over this height you need a permit or in my state it is called a letter of no objection which can last 3 moths to a year depending on the size you want to move, this permit come with a condition report which list the road you can and can not go on due to road work time of year it also has the bridge heights listed on the main routes, the street directory also has bridges heights listed which is all most correct most of the time on the really low bridges they install height waring lights
Oh and speaking of Drake trailers check this one out this is not the company I work for but they come from the same town http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3mNAGnxqvc
I know its not a lowboy, but its a specialized trailer that was built quite a few years ago by our company for setting our pug mill silos. This happend to be the first time Ive ever watched it in operation, so I took the time to get a few pics.
That would happen to be HHA (Heavy Haul Australia) would it? Those HHA boys have some serious big iron! I wish those trailers were California legal because they really look like the best and easiest way to move the really really large iron.
Yes it is HHA and they have some very neat looking trucks and trailers, There are a few company's that operate that type of trailer near me
Here are a few pics of a hyd. Aspen which we switch between 8 & 9 axle, a hyd. tridem we built hauling off highway & a Aspen mechanical detach with a drop axle in the gooseneck.
Look's good, I see you include the prime mover(tractor unit ) in the number axles, Which is different to here, When you say hydraulic do you mean you can change the angle of neck to change your drive or dolly axle weight,
Seen this sitting next to my Hotel this morning seems like it said Northwest Heavy on the door
When I say hydraulic neck, I'm mean the gooseneck detaches using hydraulic cylinders as opposed to a ramp style detach which uses ramps on the tailframe of the truck, and yes you can change the angle of the neck & more importantly the clearance under the trailer.
/Users/joshuyeda/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Roll 86/trucks_0009.jpg/Users/joshuyeda/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Roll 77/trucks.jpg/Users/joshuyeda/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Roll 81/trucks_0004.jpg/Users/joshuyeda/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Roll 82/trucks_0005.jpg/Users/joshuyeda/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Roll 86/trucks_0009.jpg
:bashHere's the rest... HeavyEquipmentForums sorry there side ways stupid computer:bash
lucky i use a lap top i can turn the screen......lol do the wheels widen on your trailer?
Ahh, the tall tire Cozad. That brings many memories, and most not too pleasant. The good thing about a Cozad like that is the way the neck pins on. The bad things I remember are almost everything else. The deck is only 8' wide, not 8'6", so the bigger machines had less track on the deck and more hanging off. 235 Cat with narrow pads was a thrill. The narrow neck would not let a 623 far enough forward. You could haul it, but only loaded from a dirt ramp. The steel ramps would not let the cutting edge clear since it is so tall with the 22.5" rubber. You could not remove the neck and load it, because the rear tires would fall off of the rear before it was far enough back to get the gooseneck hooked back on. :Banghead:Banghead The other fun thing, though they are better now, was the wedge brakes. Lots of fun getting them adjusted to work right, and all of them to come on at the same time. Not a very good parking function either, so if your trailer had been parked a while, you had to put air to it to set the brakes before you could ramp under it. If not, you would chase it accross the yard.:Banghead The narrow neck did not have enough storage space for all the ramps, cribbing, chains, signs, and "stuff" you need to have, and it was not long enough to get the 5th wheel forward to put weight on the front axle. ointhead It did no good having a 22,000# front axle, we could not get over 14,000# on it with the Cozad. Made it hard to make axle weight with a D-8K. Not sure you could haul an R or T on it legally. It was a rugged trailer, and got me by for years, but I was sure happy when I moved up to a Murray Professional. CAT ONLY Welcome, and thanks for sharing. Don't take my memories of my Cozad personally.
Smart thinking there over size. I don't know why those ones did that. Yeah its an expando if you look at the first post the three pics under the first, its expanded but its kinda hard to see.
Unfortunately we don't get to use the Cozad too often on a count of we work in really tight areas, and the trucks are usually too busy pulling the end dumps. But when we do use it the biggest things that are put on it are the 320s and a 644 JD so i don't think there is a weight problem. The guys that move it for us use Murray professionals I must admit they do look better because they are lower. You very lucky to pull one:notworthy
Very sharp lookin rigs in here guys.
Cat 325dl Corcoran CA
Last weeks work.
And another
Hey rig, you work for diamond heavy haul or just buy one of their trailers? thats an impressive move.
looks like a Nelson?maybe?It is impressive though!.:notworthy
Some real nice looking trucks guys
The diamonds cut out into the frame give it away as a diamond built trailer.
Thanks for posting RnD. Always like seeing your action pics.
No on both counts Dualie. Nick hit tha nail on tha head with tha Nelson. Thanks Fireboy and Mike.
What is that you are moving? some sort of tank?? It looks heavy! Almost looks like the trailers touchin'! What are those rails on the top, are they there to deflect any wires that might touch??Awesome pics, and equipment:thumbsup
Nedly,It's a vessel for a refinery. The pvc up top is just in case one of the support vehicles misses a wire. The trailer was lowered down for that intersection. lots of low wires, and signals. Actually was one of the tougher ones to negotiate on the entire route, just because of the layout of the intersection and the amount of wires. But like a farmer up the road from my house used to say, it's all gotta be hoed.
Bought this brand new Alpine Machinery Aero Float last week to carry my excavator around . Listened to the spiel from the owner about how good they were and how they used to be in machinery transport and knew how a good low loader should be built . I only bought it on his word and the website photos as their yard is 1200 kilometres from me . I had it delivered to my home and was appalled by the workmanship , NO penetration welds , lack of side and rear reflectors , lack of OVERSIZE sign and beacon , no positive stops on the ramps as the chains are pulling against the rams but what amazed me most was the fact that I could not find the controls to lower the ramps . I followed the hoses for the ramps into a bolted down lid in the deck . You can imagine the shock and disappointment at finding that there was no hydraulic pump , battery , battery leads or even fittings on the hoses to do the job . The ramps had been painted two days before and must have been raised with a forklift , chained forward and sent to me .
@ IRON HORSE ....I'm thinkin... screwed and not even a kiss... quite a bit of rust for a new trailer... Looks like someone needs a phone call..... get your money back...
Forget phone call, someone needs a visit from you in person!
He wont answer his phone when he sees my land line and mobile numbers come up , wont return my phone messages or emails . I still owe him $3,000 for the trailer.......guess what ? I have ordered a pump and all the other bits and pieces and will grind out the crook welds and redo them , that will probably come to more than 3 grand but I haven't got a fight left in me anymore . I'm getting used to people who will give you there word or shake your hand and it just doesn't mean a thing . My word and my handshake are the only things I truly own , all the toys will be in a big auction one day when i pass . I believe there are credits that you may be able to take with you if you are true that may also leave an impression on the young and others that you leave behind on this plane that will have some meaning or use . Others seem to prostitute there honour for some numbers in a bank book .
Iron Horse That is sure some shoddy work and a bum deal. Sounds like you are taking the high road and trying to move past it. Sometimes when you don't have it in you to fight it out, and especially with the distance involved, it is best to just fix it and move along. Make it right and get to using it to make money. The poor advertising they are going to get from anyone you speak to will eventually catch up to them. Looks like a nice looking trailer in the side view. I hope it all works out for you in the end.
Yes that's right , spending time and money chasing people around is not productive . It's not a bad little trailer other than that , just stupid to do what he did . The guy who delivered it was going to buy 5 off of him until he found out what had happened .
That is about the only good thought you can keep in your head unless he was also part of this stitch up. I really feel for you and understand exactly what you mean about a handshake and word being your bond. I am proud to say I operate by the same ethics and treat people as I would expect to be treated in return. I am sorry to say too many low lifes use that to their advantage to pull stunts like this. Go public, name and shame them, company and town put their details up. Some would suggest that more of us could place some orders that would not be required
:usa
Hey IronHorse, Thats a bum deal you got there, but I'm sure you can make it work for ya! Heres a couple of one our lowboys, moving a 6T from the job in Graham, WA to The Dalles, OR. My boss is right in front of me with his Big Montana, I have mine draging along behind me. Our saftey guy would flip if he saw these. Taking pictures at 70 mph!
G'day Rob , no the truck driver had nothing to do with it . I found him on the Internet to do the load . I was telling him about the trailer concept , being a Monocoque design and he said that he was having troubles with their fleet of trailers cracking the Goosenecks . He rang this guy to get the pickup address and arrange a pickup time and mentioned the trailer design . He then also got the spiel that i got and was impressed enough to buy some of them to see how they went , that is not happening now . Thanks JTL , Ive ordered all the parts i need and will Carbon Arc the crook welds as found I can't get a grinder in because of the tight confines .
That is one bada** setup! post more:notworthy
Ok we get it you like to keep your truck clean stop showing off.Just kidding I see you guys up here in LA every so often very nice trucks.
Sweet looking rigging you got there. Still pisses me off that you Cali boys can get away with so much oversize. We strip the catwalks, the right side mirrors, and depending on where the iron is heading: tires and spill guards. I hate all these different rules from state to state. [/LIST]
It would be nice if the rules were the same from state to state, or at least from officer to officer...
Yep same problem here but not as bad just wish it was the same as i cross the state border about 10 times a week, 2 times today
Yea it would be real nice if all the states where the same. Just today we are hauling a track crusher from Riverside to Seatle. The Calif permit was $16 and the Washington permit was $1000.
well it would be more gooder if the rest of the states adopted the CA rules. But then again i look and see what their doing out there in new York and it boggles my mind what they get away with on 5 axles.
Isn't it 60k on tandems with 1400-20 rubber in jersey or something close to that. Gotta have 3 axles here to put down what they do with 2.
Socall, I love the 389 you got there. Painted almost the same as mine.
Thanks Will! Now post a pic of yours.
I work for a company that works in the natural gas field in NY and PA. Theses are some of the coolest and most amazing trucks i have ever seen. I was the Bulldozer operator on my first rig move, thought it was pretty cool so i took some pics. The red Kenworth winch trucks are owned by the company i work for, all the others we contacted out.
Sorry. Here are some bigger pics.
more
and more
those "rig up" trucks are sweet. I got some seat time in one for a couple of days. its a trip driving a strait truck that's over 50 foot long and three sticks to choose from to swap gears. Their getting away from using them to actually rig up in the oil fields now, cranes are becoming the new standard for putting together a rig. Depending on how you look at it, its sort of a sad thing this is going by the wayside. But standing a 40,000 lb truck on its azz with the nose 10' in the air and a man in the cab really is sort of a dangerous practice.
Nice pics there millertime. Thanks for sharing
Here's some pics of our detach. Pitts made it custom for us with an 18" loaded deck height, 26' well, special red/black paint scheme, led lights, self-contained flashers, and custom stainless package (neck flashing and light trim rings). The first 2 pics were snapped by Pitts at the factory after they rolled it out the door. (They are still using those pictures on their website under "Gallery".) We have since added Apitong decking to the center section (they were supposed to at the factory but forgot it).
That is a beauty. Any more pictures of it loaded?
Logman that is a sweet looking trailer, would defiantly like to see some pics of it loaded. What do you pull it with, do any of the axles lift? Very nice thanks for posting...
Beautiful looking trailer, no wonder they have it in their gallery a piece to be really proud of building. :notworthy Bet it aint often they get a customer that wants something so sweet, functional and yet not OTT. :cool2 Do any of those axles steer or self track?
Here are a few pics of a couple of our trucks .
Haulin tractors for our club :usa
Finnaly got some pics of my old truck, the first two are of a PC200 while waiting for the pilot car to show up before going up to the geysers geothermal plant, the second two are of a 613 scraper that went from sacromento to santa rosa. In the last pic I didnt even haul anything to the jobsite. They just brought me in to load the manlifts onto my trailer, back up to the building and use my tail to get them up onto the platform.
A couple more
Hey work on them lites too.Seems to be a couple missing.
That Lowboy doesn't look sick to me.
Few pics from Texas.
2StickBill very nice looking out fit thanks for sharing...
Your welcome.It's not mine but I used to drive.Got in it when it was brand new.
Heres a few from California
Good lookin loads there!
nice pics:thumbsup
Murray 32 Ton Fixed Goose Neck Anyone ever seen a fixed neck Murray?
I live on Long Island, NY. What kind of loads are mind boggling. I'll try to get some picks of some scary loads for you
I am heading down to San Bernardino with this trailer at noon to drop it off.
Chaz that fixed neck is a very nice looking trailer, you guys do a good job on the type of trailers that you build. You can see pride in workmanship along with the attention to detail, nice job keep up the good work.
Is that lowboy truck an ERF or a Foden. My guess is ERF, what model though?
not bashing here but you have to have a pilot for PC over here we can run up to 3.5 (11.48 ft ) meters with just over size sings and flags
That load normally wouldnt require a pilot car but the road it was going up is not a good one. I took that picture in a turn out after I got off of the highway and had to wait for pilot to go any further. My permits stated that I could be up to 14 feet wide with no pilot car going down the highway but there are different rules for different roads. One job we were moving required three 9axle moves and I only used a pilot car on one of them. On pretty much all roads if you are under twelve feet and can keep the truck trailer and load on your side of the center lane you are good to go, but if you have to cross that line even once on a road it requires a pilot car. The road to the geysers is a very steep and twisty road with many places being only one lane and it actually requires a police for all oversized loads, even if your only over by an inch, so we were still outlawing it a little bit . The geysers covers thousands of acres and they have thier own set of rules. Many of thier roads have grades over 20% and you spend alot of time in first gear. Many drivers have made the trip up there and refuse to go back, a few have even had to have someone else come get thier truck and drive it down. It is a whole different world up there and you definately have no room for mistakes.
OK thank you we do the same thing here even empty on couple of mountain roads here as there is nuffing like come up the hill and around a hair pin to find a motor bike or drift car coming the other way
some pics Hey all, just joined last week. Here are a couple pics of beam loads.
more pics some of our other truck
Sorry to post them again but I finally figured out how to resize them.
Good job. That's better!
I hope these come through correctly. First one is a D8L I moved from Durango to Galveston. Second Is a D9L I moves from Kansas To Galveston.
If you're talking Durango, Co, I have to say you earned your money on that one. Last time I was in Durango was in the early 70's. Took a "shortcut" from NM to get to Rifle , Co moving some strucural steel into the power plant that was being built in Rifle at the time. Looked like a good route to me on tha map. Got a good history lesson that trip on Hwy 550. Nice pics, cept that second one is going to run off tha paage if ya don't chock tha wheels.
Hey that truck looks very familiar, you work for Novosad enterprises, or is that one of there old Pete’s?
No, the truck you are thinking of has a 63" flat top on it. Mine is only a 48". Yes that was Durango, Co and I went down 550, or more over up and down 550.
One of 5 two Blackhawks ,one Diamond,a Fruehauf and lastly a Trail King rail Pics are of one of the Blackhawks.
last two
Kenworth C500's and 100 ton trailers in Alaska. These arent my trucks, but they are my pictures, LOL! A local contractor here in Juneau AK. Own 25 or so C500's, along with a bunch of other KW's.
More of the same outfit.
Moving a D7E for the National Guard at Metlakatla AK. They could have put 3 of them on this trailer. Once I saw him move a ZX330 Hitachi and a ZX450 Hitachi at once--both loaded crossways on a 10-mile move. They have a bunch of these 100 ton trailers- this one is 14' wide. Up here we dont use pilot cars at all. Load and go, no scales anywhere.
I like that operator loading the D7! He's got more grapes than I do. Contract Logger. I just figured out your location means Washington State and Alaska , correct? I have a cousin who live in Sitka, she works as a state biologist.
Good thing the operator didn't grab a steering clutch lever.
I love the look of the C500 Kenworths. Closest thing to that I drove was a 79 Kenworth LW. One picture shows two sets of chains and a steering chain on. I imagine that some of the roads are a little rough! I had to use a steering chain numerous times in the Northern Alberta oil patch. Thanks for the pics.
What is that on the trailer #77 C500 Contract Logger, What is that mounted on those huge logs - looks like a BIG old still :cool2:cool2- good camera work. Thanks, ZZ
i would guess that it is a donkey mounted on the logs. better know as a steam powered yarder.
Yes, its a Washinton Iron Works steam yarder from the 1920's, on its way to become a City Park display.
Kenworth C500 in Alaska I bought this truck a while back, love this old girl- only run her now and then. Name on the door is previous owner's, not mine. Power is Cat 3408 all juiced up, Main Box is a Fuller 18 speed, Brownie is a 4 speed airshift. Rearends are 102,000 lb Clark Planetaries. She will move anything I hook her to. Trailer seen is a little 10-Wide 60-Ton General, but the trailer I usually use is a 14' wide 120-Ton Peerless from the logging days. Tractor is 10' 6" wide. In Alaska the Troopers leave us alone- one of many reasons I stay up here. The pass me loaded and don't even notice me. No pilots, no permits, no hassles.
More. Couple more pics, still with the small trailer.
Here are a couple of pics of us moving our dump truck and formans pickup to one of my farms. :usa
waiting for permits....
Tonka, i'm really digging the gray and blue triaxle pete. I know there were a couple earlier, but got any more?
Going to Hawaii
Another to Hawaii and A 623G to Australia
J&J out of NJ
Great pictures guys. I would love to catch a ride to Hawaii or Australia with that equipment. Regarding the 14' wide lowboy from Contract logger. In order to move it down the road in B.C., it would have to have a 14' wide load on it. They won't permit the trailer empty, just loaded. More rules???
Welcome to the site Rick, are you affiliated with Cozad trailers? I have pulled both Murray and Cozad trailers...both great trailers!
I'm loving that setup. Is that a Talbert trailer?
yes it is, more pics here...
A raggedy Diamond, - the jeep
Cool! I didn't even notice the ghost flames until I saw your other post. That's a beautiful truck. Thanks for sharing all these great pictures.
Mike doing his thing...
Thats one badazz setup. What size machine is that? It looks like its a little small for that setup. Either way, thats a sweet ride
Looks like a 345. That little guy would be a breeze to move here, that looks like its on the left coast. Dang ole bridge laws :beatsme
This is how we move a 45-ton machine. Yes, we are moving 10 miles over a Federal Highway. Just not much traffic and no Trooopers up here.
Thats one of Lindamoods Drivers there from Texas, I got that from a text msg...
Is that hoe even chained down?:beatsme
HAHA no kidding!!
It isn't chained down. Rarely see them chained up here. Here's one on the freeway, its an EC700 Volvo. Only chained it cause we're on the ice here. Weight of the backhoe is 155,000 lbs.
High deck, no ramps, so you improvise. Higher than most step-decks they run down south.
Wow, i wouldnt pull that if ya paid me too... lonely highway or not i aint going to chance it falling off that trailer.
Here' one of the little highway trucks with a Volvo EC460BLC and with a Cat D9L. These highway trucks are OK for equipment under 110,000 lbs, but most of the equipment up here is alot heavier than that.
:iagree I wont even go down the street without chains! There is no way im takin a risk of dropping a machine. I have moved a few with the tracks sideways like that when the situation calls for it but everythings getting chained down.
The bigger trucks with triple frames, 18 x 4 speeds, and 3408's are definitely better for this work. There isnt a shortage of the little trucks here (28), they just arent durable enough for serious lowbed work, thats all.
Also I forgot to add, when side loading I always put wood blocks under the frame of the trailer where each track will be so the trailer doesnt see anymore stress than it needs to.
Big and Ugly, 100-ton plus lowbeds.
More big sexy.
Lindamood Demolition has some great looking trucks! Their gallery has some great pictures of all the rigs.
I know the Lindamoods, Jake, Bobby, and Billy and i are friends...there father Bobby Sr, was a great man you ever needed anything before the truck show in Dallas. Bring your truck on over and pull her on in, He would let guys use his wash bays, lube bays, break room, anything they needed for free. Bobby Lindamood Sr was/is a great man!:drinkup
I don't really care about the machine thats what insurance is for, its the family of people that you don't know about driving down that road your on. And hoping the track motors can hold in on the trailer, thats a big risk i don't want right there. But hey if thats the way you guys do it up there in the north, keep om keepin on!:usa
always heard of people hauling an excavator with the bucket hanging off the back , never seen it though
Thats another thing, any time you cant tie the arm to the trailer you should always cross chain the house to the track frame so it cant spin. I agree with tonka that the other people driving down the road are too important not to. I do the same thing when hauling cranes with no boom or swing yarders. It makes me feel better and it's a hell of alot safer.
850ex on beam 850 ex 0n cozad beam
more pics a few more
Lookin good:usa
gotta love those chain laws pain in my *ss
got to love the central valley...:notworthy looking good 9 axle:notworthy
Seriously dam :Banghead, man you should move up north they aint got chain laws it looks like!
Man I havent seen that many chains since the A-TEAM.i pity the fool
nick hows my old trailer doing u guys sure fixed R up u finished the paint job havent seen any more pics
to many chains i figured if i put enought chains on that dam old Dot gal up in newcastle,ca would leave me alone,its like they all have a different idea how many chains they want.she told me u only get half will on that chain if dont go from one side of trailer over load to the other side of trailer.Bunch of bs all i used to do was 4 corner tie down one over boom or stick.:beatsme
Did you say you used to work for CMI?I saw a couple of old pictures of it when they had it prety cool to see even had the original jeep I think.Believe it or not still not painted.I havent had a chance to pull it the other driver has I got to see if any pics.Oh yeah still not painted:beatsme
:iagree I hear ya, every one you talk to tells ya somthing different so do the same thing, keep throwin chains on till it looks like overkill then add a few more!. You guys do have some beautiful trucks. :drinkup
Nick i used to sub haul for cmi in the winter time,that 9axle cmi sold in RB auction peris,ca one of my old boses bought it Burns trucking out of yuba city,ca who is good friends with john channel (CMI).burns sold it to some one in socal is all i know.
9axle,We got it from Innersystems in SD dont know if they got if from Burns. Here are some misc lowbed pics
Here's a scraper I hauled for a friend the other day. Not a huge load or anything, but not something I haul often.
u got a pic of that dodge pulling the case backhoe in the background
Not a closer one of that Dodge, but here's a few
thanks
Moving excavators, Alaska style....... There goes an old Bantam C-366, which looks new behind the ancient KW. Yes, she is loaded over the side- pretty standard here. No, there are no chains, still standard practice. Finally, yes that building on the right across the highway is the combination Police/Fire/State Trooper headquarters. Here we call it a 'Public Safety Building'. I wasnt involved with the move, I was at a BBQ across the street. I did however notice the police chief wave as the getup struggled past, (un-licensed and uninsured, no doubt) as well as a couple firemen washing thier fire truck........who also waved happily.
That just goes to show you that the authorities know not to mess with some poor sap who is just trying to make a living!
Thankfully up here they save charges for crimes and criminals. They dony use them as a revenue source, and typically they dont abuse thier offices. I've been pulled over many times (rightfully so), but never be written a ticket for anything. They take a more 'live and let live' approach.
Don't worry, sooner or later all states will become like California Thanks for the pics
:drinkupI believe we will suceed from the Union before we let that happen, lol. We have budget surplus situations here, and the State actually pays us once a year. No State income tax, no sales tax, no property taxes (except in a few towns- which have implemented them only recently) and a check for each citizen from oil revenues annually. California is a train wreck!
I have many hours in a 366.We had to break ours down to move it,the stick will not tuck under far enough to get the clearance we need overhead so we pulled the pin on the stick cylinder.Pics of that model are rare,thanks.Ron G
110 ft of fun...
I'm speechless...
Where is that compactor going? It looks like Mike brought that to the Whitesboro Landfill.
Yup Mike and Jake brought two there...
I hauled a 450D Deere in there right before they got there. I was gone when they got there though. Those tractors replaced some that burned.
CAT 735 from the other day.
Randy makin $$$ to help pay for his beautiful new baby girl....truck it up Mr. Supak...
I have never seen a heavy hauler look that sharp....... He must be at the truck wash everyday.
YUp they have a wash rack at Lindamood Demo... it get's washed every weekend!
1 637 Animal style... Maggini heavy haul
nice! didn't know they had a baby 9, thought they only had a 7 axle. got any more pics?
They sold the 7 axle. This trailer must have been the replacement for it.
Imbzcul8r that 1st pic is a sad day being the end of Fields with the IFP Blue 400LL heading of to Kilpala Shop. I remember you bringing that one or a demo there the day Hitachi was loading out in 2 pieces. You had us unloaded and running a full day faster then the other guys! Coming thru the Superstore lights with a 400LL in piece, wish I had a picture.
Thats the old lowboy and the white one is the new kw, i spent 2 days building my custom D sign as we have to call it in canada
I've seen a lot pics from canada of single drop lowboys. Is it a spillover from the oil and logging industries?
yea its got a live roll on it so its good for winching skkids n such on it and all of our stuff is soo hig so you dont realy need a double for much, but there are lots around. were not all oilfeild trash up here you know !!! Props to the grease monkeys tho
Our new 55 ton Trail King Commercial. Its much better than the old scissor neck.
Hey tonka you have any closer pics of this truck? doesn't look like it has the little rubber extension on the front fenders? i wanted to do that on my new one but wasn't sure what it would look like. i know it would make a mess in the winter but it would still look a lot better when its all cleaned up!
Here's my lowboy for the year I think. Etnyre Blackhawk
Mike Maggini hauling my old 330 Pete...
7 axle load to Pacific Palisades,CA on a beautiful rain soaked afternoon going up a wonderfully steep hill.
Looks like a ton of fun. Did the forklift have to push much?
nice hill looks alittle tough on the goose neck
Al most need to remove the dolly or jeep as you guy's call it to get some weight on the drive wheels
Yup it was forklift didnt push much just enough to keep it moving as steep as the first part of the hill was and with the rain it wasnt going up moved the fifth wheel back to try and get more weight on the drives dont know if it helped it was just too wet and steep .Cant really take the jeep out the neck is too long and it wouldnt have had enough clearance without being able to raise the tower going around that turn.
One of my customers once told me "If it was easy, i would have called someone else". OR in this case they would have sent one of their drivers after it.
It looks like to me that that has the chrome/stainless pieces on the outside edge of the front fenders. I have them in my Pete. You wouldn't think they would make much diference, but they do. I have 385's on the front and their is very little overspray,mud or other raod mess that makes it past the fenders. Only in a turn, and that is going to happen even with the large rubber flares. it does make a difference also regarding how much offset you have in the front rims.
That last post was old news. Here's this weeks work
CSM's finest....
Maggini... heavy hauling...
Say what you want about California,but just cant beat days like this Huntington Beach, CA
Then some days arent as fun :beatsme
Glad to see that im not the only one who doesnt use outriggers for a 16! I have gone back and forth with quite a few people on that, including DOT. They are way more trouble than they are worth.
he does have a few outriggers under there, i don't use them though
Good eye, I didnt spot those at first! I remember the first time I hauled a 16 my boss told me that I HAD to use the outriggers. I was young (18) and didnt know what I was doing so I just did what he said. After 45 minutes of slipping off the trailer and reseting out riggers I finally just threw them all on the ground and drove on the trailer first try, havent used them since!
I did a 16m a couple of months ago and it had different tires so I figured better use them this time kinda wanted to hang off and over the sides of the trailer so luckily I had them.This 16h didn't really need the out riggers but I brought them just in case so what the heck I figured might as well use them.I am just glad this one doesn't have that wacky joystick control like the M.
I used to haul a 16 on a 96" wide trailer and we had to put blocks under the blade and lift the front in the air to slide it on the two outter trailer rails.
sounds like fun.
here is 2 of our lowboy trucks. both are 280 wb and 550 hp
hey Nick looks good, did you guys ever get the rest of the trailer painted?
different trailer
heres one
Yesterday I stopped for lunch in salt lake city and saw a 7 axle sittin in the corner of the truck stop, of course I had to go take a look at it. When got over there I was reminded why you should always make sure that your landing gear is properly supported Anyways... after snapping a couple pics I finished my lunch and headed for St Louis. :drinkup
Can't see real well what is there if anything, but there should be some support under the trailer to take the weight off of the jeep. Least it looks like there's nothing there to me.
A few random shots
heres a new pic, TR100
How many 9 axle trailers do you guys have? 3 ?I thought your Cozad was blue.Got any more of the M2000?Nice pic BTW.
ya we have 3 now, this white one is the newest. I don't have any more pictures of the m2000 right now but i'll tell the driver to take a few more and i'll post them up.
Did you guys buy it new?Seems like there are quite a few for sale right now,Why not another Murray?
Nope got it used at an auction cheap, thats why its not blue. We would of got another Murray but we couldn't pass up this deal. maybe the next one will be another Murray.
Gomaco on Murray 8tire trailer.
Its guys like that who dont know any better drop their trailers like that in a truck stop and **** the owners off. By putting holes in the pavement or creating a headake for the manager of the place,witch in turn lemits places to drop your trailer to get a motel or etc.I all ways block up with the bigest foot print under my trailer to relive pressure on the jeep,and the same with the jeep.it takes more time but to me i want to look profeshional,and not like a rookie.Because u never know who mite drive by and snap a pic and post it on here.
heres a couple Nick.
Cat 365
Nice looks like you guys are keeping busy.I saw one of your trucks down here last week,maybe thursday?Had a crane I think.
yep that was a crane. here's a pic of my new truck, i'm leaving for Tx in the morning with its first load.
Very nice ride! A buddy of mine just bought a new pete as well and we put inch and a half lowereing blocks in the front end to even it out. Seems like all the new ones sit a little too tall in the front.
just wondering if all you guys spend all your time on this site or you actually get work done? my husband spends all his spare time on these time sucking sites & does NOTHING AROUND THE HOUSE hacked by a frustrated soon to be ex wife
Ya its way too tall in the front but it only has like a 1/2" block in the front so that won't help much but i have another idea to lower it. its so tall though cause the 23k front has progressive springs so when light or empty its not riding on all the leafs, it rides like a cadi! here all some more pics of the truck and its first load which i'm hauling to houston right now, got a nice light load to break her in on...Hyundai 500
When you going to be in Houston? I'm liable to see you there if it's tomorow!
Them fender mounts came out great, as did the rest of the truck:drinkup
Geez seems like that trailer has made more Texas runs since you guys have got it than California ones! Glad to see it's being worked!:notworthy
ya i'll be there tomorrow, i'll keep an eye out for you:thumbsup
I know this trailer likes TX i guess! Its also rides much better than the cozads (must be your walking beam design?) and its also way cooler looking haha so i'm glad I was able to steal it from Ed!
tr100
long way from home....
haha nothing ever gets by you tonka! where was this pic taken? it was the first load on our new Murray Interstate
Just west of Chicago on I-80
That thing has not been out of the yard for more than a week and you have already spotted it! Peter I think ya may have a stalker
Going to work Just loaded up heading of to work to knock some trees down cheers Leroy
On the way home from work today I caught one of Murray's trucks pulling a train car and got a quick cell phone pic. Either that truck has alot of power or that train car isnt as heavy as it looks because he never slowed down when we hit the hill.
Its about 130,000lbs we have a total of 5 of them to move. This is the second one. The truck is a 1996 Peterbilt with a 525hp Cat in it. I forgot to send a good camera with the driver this time so on the next one ill have to do that and get some good pictures.
Where is that at?
I am not exactly sure on the pick up location but it was somewhere around Susanville, CA and from what I understand going up near Eureka, CA so that photo could be anywhere in between.
Chaz How old is the trailer? I was wondering because it still has arch left in it with 65K (130/2) on it, and all in one place at that.
The truck is making the turn from hwy 29 onto hwy 20 in lower lake ca. Oversize loads and hazmat trucks coming from or going to I-5 have to detour off of hwy 20 and go around clear lake, this is where they meet back up with hwy 20 and continue on towards the coast.
all of our fleet Professional trailers are 2005 or newer...I am not sure what year that trailer is though since I can't see the trailer number on the front of the gooseneck.
Well, that is close enough. It is a lot newer than mine. It is a late 90's, and hauls up to 88K pretty regular. It has had enough big loads and rough roads that it does not stand up quite as proud anymore. Still, it has done quite well for the treatment it gets. It sags a bit now with the D-8T on it, and a 70K load has it flat. Not bad, I guess.
These are some older pictures of our lowboys. The first one is an older Ford with an N14 Cummins (which we sold) hauling part of a water tower. The second one is our 1990 International 9300 with an N14 celect plus turned up to 500 hauling an office on a trail king. The last one is our newest lowboy, a 2007 International 9900i with a C-15 twin turbo turned up to 525 with a trail king detachable goose neck.
Here is another pic of that 1990 International 9300.
I thought that intersection looked familiar... Ben~
What a great thread!!! Figured I would jump in and share some pics too.
Mike Mc; Good looking pics Keep em ***'n :drinkup
Leroy, I got a lot more pics but I've posted them before on this site. Not sure if reposting is OK :beatsme This pic is from Pleasanton CA. truck show. Piggy backing the Mighty D4 works great cuz it allows me to tow the travel trailer to shows. Little embarrassing going through the scales but at least I stay on the show grounds.
Anybody thats not from the tractor site notice something funny about my W900A? Most noticeable in the first pic a few threads up.
On slow days when service men are standing around looking for something to do we made the KW a long nose. Doesn't turn as sharp but seems to ride a little better.
I looked and looked and did not find it. After you mentioned it I felt dumb for not noticing. It is a great looking truck Mike. By the way, can you share any more info on the D-6 with wheels on it?
you extended the cab and cowl on it...did a great job btw
Yup sure did, only regret is I didn't do the 6" extended cab earlier. I'm 6' 2" with size 15 shoes and now I can stretch out. Love the W900's but hate being cramped up.
JD, I believe the conversion is not factory but the rubber tire D6 has a tall enough gears to run the auto bond and it bounces from front to rear like a kids tow . With it having a cable control unit on the back it probably was designed to pull scrapers a distance after being push loaded by a dozer. But it's so tall geared it doesn't have enough power to turn in anything higher than 2nd gear. Literally it bogs down that bad when those big tires dig in. It would be a scary ride towing a load of dirt wide open in high gear. The operator would have a tough decision.... do I wear the seat belt to keep me from bouncing out or leave it off so I can jump :beatsme
Why rusty chains on polished rigs? I am surprised that with all the work time and money invested in some of these beautiful rigs that I have yet to see prettyfied chains. The way I learned to clean chains when I was working in Stagecraft/Theatrical Rigging was to throw them in a cement mixer with a bag of walnut shells and let it mix. They come out looking like polished stainless steel. :cool That was usually with the small-link alloy chain from chainhoists and such, so you might want to get big chunk walnut shells for 1/2" chains... Whatever you do, don't throw black walnuts with the husks on in unless you want black chains and hands and clothes! I just pulled a 3/8" chain out of one of my piles and it had chunky surface rust on it, so I laid it out in the gravel driveway were I park at home and drove over it a couple of times a day for a few weeks, and it cleaned it up pretty good, but I still wish I had a mixer handy... I look forward to seeing some chains that are congruent with the trucks, Ben~
JD, I was wrong on the rubber tire D6. It was designed to pull agricultural trailers in the fields. It was not sold new with a CCU but possible added later for better balance :beatsme ke6gwf, with all the work to keep these trucks looking nice I sure hope folks ain't looking at our chains, what about the binders?
Mike I can see it doing a bang up job of pulling trailers through the field. I bet some enterprising farmer had a mind to pull a pan with it too, hence the CCU. From what you say, that may have been a losing proposition. Good looking rig in any case.
Hey, Murray trucking. We used to use your company to haul our equipment when we were in California, in the 1960's. KTK Wrecking out of San Francisco. Living in Washington state now, don't see many of those mechanical detatch lowboys around here. Here is my lowboy, 1963 General 35 ton hydraulic detatch, 1991 T600 KW, Detroit 400HP 60series, 9 spd hwy gears. My how fast that truck will go. :usa
I went and picked up a 5x5 sheep's foot for a tractor show and what a pain :Banghead I was surprised the Mighty D4 that weights 15K would barely move the roller... and yes it was empty too! No way would it even begin to pull it up the dove tail so I unhooked and built a nice dirt ramp up on the trailer then I could load it with another D4's help. But now my truck won't pull the trailer from the ramp.... what a pain. Got a question, my KW has Pete air leaf suspension and what is the measurement that I'm suppose to set the air bag height? I heard a few numbers all around 12 1/4" from top to bottom but would like to confirm that number and how it's measured. Thanks, Mike
Detach Recently I've seen those funny looking detach trailers here in Phoenix AZ. I've run Blackhawk/Fontaine/Entyre/Eager Beaver/Trail King 60 ton detach trailers plenty and would NOT consider trying to run that style of trailer. The Detach procedure is in two stages and to lift your load up, you back under the neck of the trailer with your 5th wheel slide all the way back. Watching the low boy operator lifting a 85,0000 milling machine was....scary. It almost flipped due to the angle of the ramp and the requirements of those style of trailers. Its impossible to understand how that style of trailer got so popular out here. Regular Detach trailers are much faster and safer.
"According to the Service Manual I have, it's 11.5". This is measured from the top of the rubber spring to the bottom of the aluminum piston of the left hand side of the truck." This is from a google search on the subject, I can't confirm or deny if it's correct! You can probably get a pretty good idea were it's supposed to be by looking at the geometry and finding the place were the truck and all the parts just sit right. Ben~
Nice Blue and Renn truck with a Just/Dump dozette I finally got ~1200 pictures downloaded from my camera from the last several months of driving and road work and such, so expect a lot of interesting pictures to show up soon. I passed this on 101 between Gilroy and Salinas a couple of days ago.
Lower Lake? Are you sure thats lower lake? It looks like the Upper Lake junction to me, but I could be wrong.
Yeah Upper Lake is what I meant. I was coming from Lower Lake and mixed the two up!
Mike That picture brings back memories. My first job in CA was running a D-4D pulling a 5X5 just like that. WAY too much roller for a D-4, but it was a trooper. Hardest part was learning to back up. It would only steer one direction. Backing was a challenge, but I got the hang of it, and came up with a method that worked. The owner actually wondered why the transmission always had problems on the poor thing.
CasaGrande Sun Valley CA
Had some fun with the KW hauling a British government restored FV432 to a show. Ya he bought it just like it sits for $45,000 with all original equipment. Got to take it for a drive and when you pull the steering clutch lever half way it releases the clutch, pull it a little more it applies the brake. A nice design not having to use the lever and brake pedal, sure does ride a lot better than a Cat too.
Lowboys Anyone on here own a Kaufman Lowboy?
Here's a pic of one...sorry, couldn't get it loaded last time.
nice looking 55 ton drop rail, hows it holding up?
Well it hasn't been used yet...this is a new one. I just started working for the company and was just trying to get a feel for the industry as far as if people had an opinion about the brand or not. Hope this wasn't the wrong place to post this. Apologies if so...
Nice looking, never heard of them before. But then I don't know everything ,contrary to popular opinion. :usa
Dirtman2007 bought a 30' 20 ton Kaufman tag in the last couple months. Too early to judge durability etc, but if you PM him you might glean some info off him.
OK...thanks for the heads up. I'll share some more pics as I get settled in. This looks to be a really good source for "real-world" information. Thanks to all who share!! http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy-equipment-trailer-store/Detachable-Gooseneck-Trailers-c29
Here is the lightest 13 axle configuration trailer ever built. I had the E.D. Etnyre Co. build them for me. The whole trailer only weighs 52,900# and is capable of handling 170,000 concentrated in 16' if need be. Justin
Nice weight!!! why can't they make a lower profile gooseneck and a thinner deck? other than that very nice looking trailer, do you have any more pictures?
Hmmmmmm................. You know what every 13 axle ever built weighs huh?
Great pictures guys keep them coming!
Heres a couple shots from this fall.
Is that the EX1800 that came from Deffenbaugh?
Yep. Its in Andrews Texas right now, along with the 5110 and one of the 385's, getting ready to dig 3 million yards. I didnt leave anything down there 5 years ago when I was on that job, so I see no reason to follow them down there!
Now that is some mob cost. What in West texas needs 3mil cu yards moved?
Check out this web site. The job is right on the New Mexico/Texas border. When I was there 5 years ago we were stockpiling our muck in New Mexico. http://www.wcstexas.com
Nice truck!
By chance do you remember the name of the crane outfit that loaded that out at goofenbaugh?
I have no idea. I was'nt there when it was tore apart.
DRAKE Spread decks. Rear Axel steering. Terrible Iphone photos sorry.
Yes they can, but like any trailer built there is always a compromise. The neck can be more low profile, but will be heavier in weight. There are more pictures on www.blackwellsales.com Justin
I do not want to boast, but yes I do. You see almsot all 13 axles 80ton + weighs at least 65,000# with most of them at 70,000#+. There have only been a few 13 axles under 60,000# which I know and a couple are not even rated for 75 tons. With that in mind they are still not as light as this trailer. There just has been one XL Specialized trailer built that weighs around 55,000# or so and is 85ton capacity. I didn't think the moderators on this board allowed smart ass remarks though which I am surprised you replied the way you did.
Actually Fire and Iron, Justin prolly does know the weights of more trailers than anyone else as he has owned more of them than anyone else. I'd say 1 or 2 percent of all of them on the road he has "had hands on". He sells more trailers for the lowboy market than just about anyone in the US I venture to guess as well. That said, I have to say "Damnit man show us your pictures! I know you have some good ones!" LOL
Thanks for the kind words. I do want to note that I do not know-it-all when it comes to the heavy haul trailer market and I never will know-it-all because there is to much too know, but I do know quite a bit more then most people which gives me a niche in this market. I have hundreds of pics of lowboys and I don't know where exactly to start. I will post the first ones that pop up on my computer. Thanks, Justin Below is a 2011 Etnyre 55ton 10' wide w/ 30' deck length, 8 axle set-up. Had it built for a customer in Ft. Worth
Here is a new 13 axle steerable Cozad we brought home back in '08. It had disc brakes on it and tire inflation system along with a deck extension.
Here is an '02 Cozad 13 axle "booster", dropside deck
Here is a new Etnyre back in '08. 65ton Cal legal 10 axle setup w/ 30' deck and 16' 1" spread on stinger, hydraulic flipneck
Here is an '06 Cozad Triple 16 "booster"
'09 XL 65ton east coast style w/ 30' deck length
'94 Loadking California legal 13 axle. I think this one was a 90 or 95 ton
I had this one built for a buddy down in Caldwell, TX. I think there may be a couple picturesw listed already in this thread, but I know not these because I took them.
Here is a 19 axle Diamond I stopped and took pics of one time up in Iowa
Here is a 19 axle Trail King that I saw down in MS one time. It is a rare trailer because it is the only 19 axle I ever even heard of with 16' 1" spreads
Randy's old pete... i sure like his new KW better. Doesn't that trailer have fiberglass fenders on it now?
Randys new truck and trailer, way lighter than that XL....
We have the Extreme Series 70 ton, I enjoy pulling it. A very well built unit.
Nice
loads from today and yesterday
some loads from today main frame and track of an EX3500
Classic79. That has to be one of the nicest looking 900s Ive seen! Is that Sonoma Co? I am always lookin at trucks around these parts n never seen ya
He is from So-Cal...
Is that the road going up to Will Rogers Park?
Question Jim, Is that the 13 that belonged to Rodman in the DFW area? It looks familiar. I looked at Rodman's when Trinity had it for sale. Ended up buying the 65t TKI that was setting next to it. Just wondering. Thanks for the pics. And as a side note, even though I don't know you personally, your reputation among friends of mine that have had dealings with you is top shelf. Since this is about pictures,, enjoy. Today in beautiful downtown Kittery. And one just outside the shippers.
Glad to hear about the kind words. It is a very small world in heavy haul and "word-of-mouth" gets out there about us. That saying I can not make everyone happy but I do try. Back to that 13 axle Cozad it belonged last to Lewis Crane who has/had a yard in DFW & Houston. I didn't know Rodman had a 13 axle Cozad...I heard they have a triple 16 steerable at one time though. Lewis Crane shut down. Thanks, Justin Blackwell
OOPS, My bad. My brain slipped a cog there on that. Rodman had a 13 axle, but it was a TKI. From what Bud(the salesman)told me they tended to use it without the booster more than with. That was apparent when I crawled under it to check it over. I found that the main frame was cracked along the top of the web where it meets the top flange,,,,on both sides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJGrvfcED4 This looks pretty cool. Just a modified tractor as a steerable rear end?
Here's a couple pics sent to me from forum member jdigger4130, of Sherman Bros Heavy Hauling from Oregon with a sweet looking D9H.
This guy came into our yard Friday to figure out his axle weights. Took him about an hour of adjusting to get where we wanted it to be. Pretty interesting stuff. Total weight was 211,000 pounds. After I got finished up with my work for the day, I caught this 641 on the move.
I love the home made heater on the 641!
Just a couple of my susposed temp setup this year. It's temp because it takes too long to get a permit, with this machine on it.
Interesting fenders on that KW, is it a mud flap or just plastic between the rear buds? And nice set up, where was this taken?
Those rear fenders are Minimizers. Pics taken in Billings, MT after waiting out a snow storm.
D10N i hauled yesterday
Pc1100
prenn, I gotta say you have a sharp looking truck that I have yet to see dirty with all the pictures you have posted. Keep up the good work and pictures!
Thank you! I try and keep it clean, it was actually pretty dirty with that D10, thats why the pictures were taken at a distance hahaha
Helped my buddy rescue an antique from the scrap yard. Not sure what it is :beatsme but as we loaded it with the D6 the winch up front was letting out. Tried to get it disengaged but no luck. Although when we unloaded it the winch sucked back up.
my guess is it was used to load hay bales. at the aths show last year in pleasanton there was a demonstration of loading a truck like that:beatsme
Here's one I saw the other day in NZ, old mate took the corner a bit quick!
Never too much junk when ya have space. LOL
New rig, don't like the weights I get with it.
Here are some Oilfield haul trucks from northern Alberta. Believe it or not, these aren't even the nicest the have.
Now I know they aren't all lowboys, but a couple highboys. I'll post the rest in another thread.
We run a few Lowboys (Transporters) down under in NZ,mostly in the logging industry. Will post up some pics when I suss out the system. Amazing site and already addicted
...
I'm getting there,please bare with me
...
....
...
Those axles steerable?
Yes the back three steer. It is acctually a three rows of eight with a two rows "clip on",when in three rows the back row only steers and when five rows the back three steer. Steering is hydraulic and can be set to "caster" which just follows the truck or you can steer by controls in the cab or the rear pilot can have a remote if needed. Built by TRT here in new Zealand is capable of over one hundred metric tonnes payload.
rear shot,this trailer is 3.1 mtrs wide in and widens out to 5.0 mtrs
not a quality shot but shows five rows of eight with two rows of eight load divider (dolly) or as you guys say "jeep"
we also have a fixed three rows of eight (no steering) seen here with a TMY 90 Hauler
...this trailer is 2.7 mtrs right in and widens out to 5.2 mtrs
Nice!!!! That T-Birds no joke! You would need LOTSA tires on the ground here in Cali. Thanks for sharing NZ, Is that other load A drill rig?
yes sir,TMY 90 goes about 78 tonne, this a "off highway shift" on private forestry roads, don't worry we would need lots more rubber on the road as well. Drill rig goes abot 60 tonne.
LOL!!! Copy! I shoulda known w the "house" oh say roughly 20 foot in the air and fully rigged.. I woulda thought 90 ton woulda been closer. I LOVE TOWERS SO PLEASE KEEP the loggin stuff comin. I live in Marin Co( knee deep in hippy idiots that dont work!) now n the mere mention of cutting a tree will get me strung up so I NEED to live through you guys!LOL
Different rules there down under. Multiple pieces cant be hauled on the same load here if it puts you over 80K gross weight, no matter what you are permitted for. They also seem to let you run a lot taller than we can. 14' is legal, and permits up to 16', but any taller and it is a whole new world.
its the same down here, if a load is divisable then you must do that, in this case we would have to remove the pole , cab etc and depending on where it was going we may have to removes all the ropes and rigging as well to get the weight down to minimum. We have a miximum legal height of 4.25 mtrs, how ever overdimention vehicles can obtain permits to be higher but they lead to all sorts of problems including lines companies traveling with the load, rail crossings, bridges etc and even though you might have neccasary permits you are still liable for anything you hit or damage.
Cat 5110 with 183ft boom, largest high rise demo excavator in the U.S.
hey Prenn. what did you pick the up from the builder? i think i saw it going south on I-5 this week
Ya it was built in Tualatin, Or and I left with it on friday so you probably did see me or at least some of the parts
yeah i saw you just south salem. didnt get to see any of the parts just the big load.
Hey trainwreck, Saw a couple of RFC's sweet looking T-800's with 3x3x2 Generals in The Dalles today, down by the rail yard, then seen them heading west with 450 Hitaichi's loaded on them. Awesome looking set up's. Never seen a 450 with a clam shell before. What where you guys up to? (assuming you still work for them)
Kaufman In Use Sorry haven't posted any pics in so long. Anyhow, still enjoying all the comments and pictures, I'm learning a lot! Here's one of our 35 Ton's going to work and the second pic is one of our paver models headed up to Canada.
Jtl i was running that job in the dalles. we were there picking up and hauling 6 rail cars out of the dalles yard. That clam on the 450 is very nice to have but it is a bit slow. now we are in the Eugene rail yard getting 6 more cars this week.
Drake 160T float and Haulmax 3900G Prime mover
Hi, here are a few pics of the lowboy I run. It's a 2000 Pete 379 and a 1999 Talbert 50ton.
I have so many pictures. Just don't know which ones to post :/
you guy's didn't actually drop that 350 on new blacktop did you? not to sound picky or anything. we so much as put a tire mark in the new asphalt and we are in big trouble. regards, cd :usa:usa
I was thinking that too.Tracking up the binder coat is not so bad but the finish coat would be a no no.That looks green too.Ron G
Believe it or not we did. The idiot that owend the subdivision there aperantly didn't contact the state when he decided to put in a turning lane into his place. If he had he would have discoverd that we were going to put in a 144"x40' long culvet in a week. If you look in the second picture where the cones are on the side of the road is where we stated diging.
I told the truck driver, "If I die when the Cat slips off the ramp while loading, bury me with my guns on. So I can shoot the devil between the eyes when I go by him!"
It would be fun to watch that KW come down that ramp.Did it work ok?Ron G
This was the loading area. We used some 2x10 boards and the 4 foot long metal ramps used to load the Cat onto the goose neck to bridge the sand. I'm sure he got it unloaded allright. I never heard anything otherwise!
I did that once with out the use of ramps and boards. used the skip loader to dump sand on the deck to build a ramp then used the skip to push it back off. The idea sounded alot better in my head that it turned out on paper. Spent alot of time with the broom and the shovel before i could finish loading.
Hi all, newbie here just wanted to show our lowbed transformation.
looks good btw I saw it on craigslist good luck on the sale
Thanks dzlnut, I'm kinda torn because I fixed it and now I want to keep it, But I could sure use the money for bonding and overhead costs for our next project. Either way I figure the more people that see it the better.
I have been there before I sold my truck and trailer a few years ago (wish I didn't) and I want to another rig really bad but dont have the money right now.
Ha!!! Hilarious quote dude !!!!! Sweet sand pile I mean ramp. I am sure I woulda tried if someone would let me!
good job on the old crapzad!!!!!!
HAHA thanks, maybe one day I'll make enough money and go see Chaz and get a "REAL" lowbed
You wont regret it Doug/Chaz and the boys make some great trailers...:notworthy
:notworthy Matt doing his thang....
Murray 8 Tire pics
John Deere 800 John Deere on a Cozad 9 Axel.
great photos
Crushing plant pics Thanks Here are some Crushing plant stuff we have moved.
Hi, I'm looking for any pics of mechanical boosters. We don't have them here in New Zealand but I'm interested in the feasibility of incorporating one into a new trailer. Any pics would be great but some showing the hinge area would be the best. Cheers
Check up with Frank Croft Jared,his new 3x8 TRT is set up for a "booster", seems like a lot of mucking around when loading and unloading to me but may suit what you are looking for.....
The one with the sprayer is our trailer. Others are company trailer
another one from the Pilbara region on Australia
Cheers NZ Logger. Croft's have had the booster since Barry's 3600 S-Line if not earlier, it's not really what I' m looking for though as it's hydraulic
Kenworth T-800 and Aspen Lowbed. Hi Yes it is a model but thought you might like to have a look anyways. Thanks Doug. www.dougsscaletruckreplicas.com
1999 T800 and 1986 Cozad 60 Ton 9 Axle 1999 T800 and 1986 Cozad 60 Ton 9 Axle with a Cat 330
Not the one thats been sitting in the shed for years mate,the new TRT is set up for one as well and TRT have the plans for his new "stinger" just waiting for him to tell them to build it.
Pics of equipment on a Landoll Some pics of a equipment spread used for turf fields.
That is some nice outfit
You guys have some really cool stuff. Thanks for posting!
Very cool and expensive!!!!
Cat 657E Cat 336 Cat 374 Komatsu PC800 Extec S6 screen
Here's a few of the rig I have been running around in this year
@Prenn, I am working for the wrong company! @Monster truck, Hope you didn't have to go over the scales with those first 2 loads, and that last one looks over-height... Ben~
Hey monster truck what location they have you running out of? I probably seen you pass me a couple hundred times if its the Oakland yard.
@ ke6gwf, dont worry, I'll duck when the overpass comes! @ Dualie, I work out of the santa rosa yard, I do my best to avoid that Oakland yard as much as possible!
~10 years ago I was hauling for United out of Napa, and one day I had to haul a beavertail trailer load of scaffolding over to Vacaville Prison, and ended up being in the very center of the prison complex with a prisoner work gang to unload me. The one guard for 30-40 guys working in there was sitting in the job tool shack (it's still there http://g.co/maps/8364a ) and couldn't see where I was, and there were no other guards in sight. Some of the guys were lifers they told me... When I went in the sallyport, they made me take all the knives, cellphones, tools, fire ext's and such out and leave them at the gate, and then told me to take the chains and binders off and leave them there as well so they couldn't be used as weapons. I looked at them and told them if I did, half the scaffolding wouldn't make it to the worksite, and besides, my load consisted entirely of potential weapons, so an extra chain or rope or binder bar wasn't going to make any difference! The cons were very polite and friendly, and seemed glad to have someone to talk to for a while that wasn't a guard or a convict, so it was a good day. Then my next stop that day was the United Rentals yard in Oakland to load a dumptruck... I think the security fence was better there than at the prison, and I had more fear for my life! The wrong guys had the guns, and at least with the convicts there was an understanding of our respective positions, which doesn't exists with the nEXt-cons! So, I don't blame you for avoiding Oakland. Lately I have been working in and around Oakland quite a bit, including on night jobs in the street at the new KP hospital project, and I would fear for my life more, but I have had some training since ten years ago that I haven't had a chance to test out yet, so I am observant but not worried! (and maybe just a bit stupid... lol) (I am currently working for J. A. Gonsalves out of Napa, right now mostly doing patch paving and cement work and such for people like Steiny, ARB, WBE, etc. A few Caltrans jobs and some city stuff thrown in, and we are almost busy! I am mostly driving a white 10 wheeler Mack hauling equipment on a tilt or hauling materials. We are all over from Mill Valley to San Jose to Antioch to Pleasanton to Walnut Creek to San Bruno right now, so have probably passed (or been passed, that Mack is a dog...) by both of you. We just finished filling in and paving over the San Bruno blast site last week. I should post some pictures...) Ben~
reclaimer heading off to site
That takes some HP to move!
High Cotton...
Great grandpas dozer all loaded up to come home for resto
Novosad Ent..
Beautiful trucks!!!! Do the rear wheel tubes help much at keeping the trucks clean in wet weather?
November 10-4 mag cover truck and trailer...
Make sure to check out the cover of the next issue of Wheels of Time....
Oh yeah, is your grampa gonna be on it?
Yep, the '69 cabover got the cover
Here'a a few from a part time gig I picked up a few weeks ago.
Hello everyone i will post some lowboy pics as soon as i' am allowed to. i think i need to make a minium number of posts or something like that.
3 posts then you can post photos
ok thanks
Heres the guy I use most often to move me around.
nice to see your still working,what happend to matt?
He tore his bicep muscle early last spring and had to have surgery. He wasnt able to work all season, he held on as long as he could but he ended up having to sell his truck and trailer. Really a sad deal. Im not sure what hes going to do moving forward. He had been moving me for yrs. How about you staying busy?
these are both talbert trailers. the dropside with the ts14 on it is 34ft in the well. the other one is a 1973 beam that really needs a blast and paint.
Newbie here, couple pics of my ride
couple more...
Nicety!!!!!
Outstanding lowboy !!....any more pics of it for us ???
Just back from getting the custom cab gaurd..
Beautiful looking rig you got there. Where in IL you out of?
"Mini me"
Quad cities-Moline
Nice rig there. I love that you have the scale model of it as well, and even in its colors. How about your namesake? What rig was it in?
The white one is ours, the maroon one was sitting along the road into my job last fall.
Stretch trailers ?? does anyone on here have an overhead picture? does anyone here have an overhead view of an empty stretch trailer ? I have a customer that would like one, if you have one please e mail me @ [email protected] Thank you.
Stotzy Rollin... photo by Ron902
Some of my latest moves.
Cat 992G today
You must have some tall bridges out there, we have to put them on a beam and take the tires off to get'em low enoughto slide under our overpasses.
16'4'' not that tall A lot of the time we haul them on beams but this was a short 35 mile haul and I had two 657's to move afterwards so we just put it on the deck.
Here is a picture of how we move the 992's around here. Most of the time they go down into Detriot somewhere, and it's best to be as close to 14' a possible. I put in a couple more pic's of some other moves downtown, the green bridge is to Zug Island, thats a 365 in the picture, I also have to use this bridge for the 992's. The other shot is a 345 MH that only gets moved about a half mile.
Do you let the tracks drag or pin them up somehow?
I pin them up, I wasn't finished loading yet, there's still blocking under the tracks in this picture. It's so much work for a 5 minute ride!
nice pic Slidey! was talking to Ferret bout those new surface miners their pretty wild bits of gear!
Yep, apparently the 1655 is working rings around the Writgens up there
A fun road to lowbed on Here was a fun road. This corner and a few others like it made me real glad it is a 16 tire lowbed, not an 8 tire. It was a long ways down, and 4 or maybe 6 tires were hanging in the air at one point.
Good thing you weren't loaded
When I went the other way loaded, I had a slightly better angle of approach, so I had a couple less tires dangling, and I was nervous enough to not stop for a picture.
But what are you going to do when you have to pick the machine back up?! That is a nice advantage having those extra tires in there:thumbsup P.S. time for some new deck boards
Past time. I had to buy tires before boards though. Maybe next month. Plywood fills the holes for now
"Earnin it!"
That W9 is sweet looking. I like the paint scheme and painted cab guard is cool.
Thanks, here's one haulin' a crusher
Looks good with the crusher on. I would sure hate to see a speed bump or railroad crossing ahead. Looks like you couldn't fit a legal pad under the frame.
The problem was, I couldn't get my weight right, to much on the tractor, the frame on the crusher extends well beyond it's tracks, so it would run into the metal fenders on my trailer, we put down some oak ramps to get it above them but, the tip of the conveyer was 15' high, well above height pole escort even with the trailer squatted down, I ended up removing the fenders off the 1st axle, so the crusher frame could just sit next to the trailer frame with the tracks flat on the deck and the at trailer at normal height. But I actually move our 400 Komatsu like that, with the trailer in it's lowest setting, I can stay JUST under height pole escort when it has it's short stick, without having to pull the pin.
Sometimes it takes afew hours to get there and sometimes it takes all day:
Ain't that the truth. It never fails especially when you are running late and try to cram 30 hrs into a 24 hr day. oh....and excellent pics Mike.
Mike That makes for a tough day. How did the recovery go? I hope all went well.
Not too bad, it did take the rest of the day.
I would say if you made it with everything still shiny side up you were doing good.
Yep, reminds me why I live in the land of flat dirt
Where ya at in the Panhandle Mike? Looks to me like the Floodwood country. Im from up Sandpoint way.
I'm a ways south of there, the picture was taken in the Maggie Creek drainage, off highway 12 east of Kooskia.
Hindsight is wonderful isn't it Mike. May have saved time to unload and reload or just walk the machine farther. Oh well, without days like that you wouldn't appreciate the good ones as much. Starting to feel like spring around the Lochsa/Selway yet?
Mikee, share the good stuff with us. Our curious minds want to know how you got the trailer back up on the road? Got any more pictures?
That might strike some of us as boring! Steep ground - snow - life is good.
We used a D6C cat, tied to the track frame to hold it from tipping over, then swung the house around and put the bucket on the ground below the road. Tipped the machine up on its nose, on the edge of one track, pulled the trailer out from under it sideways with the cat.
Gottcha. If you work for who I think you do, you might know my old friend Todd Osborn. He run shovel for them for a few years, but moved back to Sandpoint about a year ago. I met Todd 10 or 12 years ago when we worked together. Have another good friend that was down that way a couple years back cutting under that yarder in your pictures, then cutting oversize on the Cat crew.
I haven't seen Todd since the day he quit. He was fun to be around and was a good hand to work with, we all miss him.
Cool photos. Lowboy work is something I feel like I should dabble in before the end of my career. JTL - Empty your PM box, been trying to send you one but it says she's full up.
Those Lowboy are very cool! My brother told me they are more used on heavy hauling services because they can carry heavy loads. I wish I can have those kind of trailers!
modified 465 komatsu bed going to birmingham al. we did 3 of these for steel mill
Up in the woods again. Brought the little truck to nurse the Cat and drive home if I could not make it through the snow. Taking 2 with me.
Boy Jerry, you must have a lot of confidence in that pickup if you brought it in case the Cat can't make it through the snow!
Good one Mitch. The Chevy is to go home and rest while the snow melts.
Have you ever seen a paver special with a boom trough. This is the most versatile trailer I have ever pulled. It was brand new August 2012
That looks handy. The wood looks too nice to let steel tracks on without mats though.
I have not torn it up yet. Sheep foot compactors are what tear up our trailers the worst even with belting laid on the deck. This trailer will never haul one though so that deck should last for a long time hopefully.
How much weight will dot give you on the 3 axle group?
In Ohio I am good to 120000 pounds total with 60000 on the trailer. So 20000 per axle on the trailer.
Cool. Iirc AZ only gives you 55ish. You need a 10' wide 16 tire group to get 60. What does the trailer weigh empty?
This a different trailer. That is about 116000 pounds total weight. That is a 2500 Wirtgen. It had never been in the dirt yet in those pics.
My lowboy setup
One of our trailers we built and sent of to Titan in Canada.
That trailer weighed 20020 pounds before any chains, binders and extra lumber were put on it according to the tag.
This is my new to me 378 Peterbilt with my old 35 ton Eager Beaver 35 ton low boy. The truck is a 02 with a C-15 550 HP Cat 10 spd trans with full locking 40000# rears on Air-Track
Nice tractor! That pre emission C15 may actually increase in value!
Here is my old 89
This is a Paron trailer and a 2004 Volvo with an ISX
One of todays loads...
Not new by any means but it's dot worthy......if there is such a thing lol, W900 with. 3406 and a 55t talbert Wish it was one of those big ole T8W's Pj
Nice looking KW! Nothing wrong with the mechanical 3406 either. I guess it could be a PEEC though.
Some of our gear way down under (NZ)
bit more kiwi stuff, the "Waipa Delta" boat we moved from Thames (Coromandel coast) to Taupo for restoration then to go into lake Taupo for dinner cruises etc. BOAT: 30 mtrs long 9.5 mtrs wide weighs about 45 tonne. Truck: C500 B, 1992,3406 E, 18 speed manual, Sisu off highway rears, 150 tonne chassis rating. Trailer; T R T 3 rows of eight with two rows of eight clip on rear section,when in this configuration the rear three rows steer either by control in cab,rear pilot remote or can be set to "caster" to follow you down the road. Tare weight (as shown in pics) 35 tonne. You guys will have to work out the pounds and inches stuff sorry.
MH Mack and MTE low loader Something I try to avoid , fuel stops with canopies, thank c..... for air and hydraulic syspension.
Nice shots! I love the trailer. It looks very clean and hot!
Watch out for that bump! This happened while hauling a Cat 980G last night after experiencing some Caltrans handiwork SB 86 expressway jno Hwy 78. It's 2:00 am, its dark and other than the skid marks going off the road after the invisible speed bumps, there was absolutely no warning. I usually have no problem running along at 65ish, loaded , in the middle of the night out there... There's nothing out there but desert and now....speed bumps. I thought the trailer was going to break in two. My speed was (only) set at 58 mph via cruise control. I don't remember why other than I wasn't in any kind of hurry. I didn't notice the damage until 30-40 miles later when I unloaded in El Centro. Trailer is a 2007 Cozad expando. Steer .....12,700 Drives ....43,600 Trailer.....51,500 Gross.....107,800 and some change... This combo is permitted for 120,000 so I was well within my legal load limits. I'm going to head out with a video camera and get some footage of cars and trucks hitting this stretch of road. I'll then give the footage to my attorney and go after Caltrans, the state, the county and anyone else we can think of for damages. This is total BS... Had I wrecked and killed someone last night you know that everybody and their brother would be coming after my ass for a free piece of pie. a life of crime is looking better and better every day.
Pete! You should have bought a lottery ticket. It was your lucky day that it did not break all the way through and unload you in the middle of the "road". I can't believe it cracked that far and did not break the rest of the way, especially with a pretty good load on it. Good luck with Cal Trans. It must have been their crew that left the bumps, as you know a contractor can't get away with leaving a mess like that.
I had a 16 tire Cozad broke at the same place. I was hauling a 583 side boom,luckly I had stopped shortly after I had loaded it to weigh it. When I walked behind the trailer while on the scale I noticed one side of the expando was hiked up on one side.I was lucky as I was heading the San Jose.
That could have gotten real bad REAL quick. thats going to be a fun one to fix$$$$ I'm going to blame a bad welding detail on that inner runner. the edges of the weld should have been flared out to make a sort of open <. created a big stress riser right where the weld terminated. pretty scary the only thing holding that together was the pad eye for the D ring.
I'm guessing that the cracking may have started a while ago. It looks like the crack may follow the D ring pad round the right side, and that there is a small rust trail coming from it. Either way, it's good you saw it before disaster struck Pete. Hauled this back to Cat Friday:
I had another issue with that same trailer,hooked to a 16 tire jeep.I had loaded a 235 Cat excavator, when I went to chain the right front track to the long neck,it was sagging down on the right side. Looked around the pin that holds the long neck to the trailer was broke at the weld.
Looks like there is a record of who the construction company was on that job.... http://goo.gl/maps/OGulS
Everyone i have ever known that had "beef" with granite never had a problem getting it settled. Let us know what the grand total is for getting the wagon fixed.
Cat 350 Murray 10 wide 7 axel Fixed 10 wide Murray 7 Axel w/ 26 foot deck. Cat 350 @ Stanford University. First load on new set up.
Here's a few recent ones
couple more...
What's the old Cat, 225? I like that trailer, by the way. Mitch
That looks like a nice trailer for off road work. It sure plays havoc on your loaded height though.
Yeah, its a 225D. Judging from the stamping on the hydraulic cylinders a '91 model. Moved it for a friend. With a little bit of work I think it'd make a pretty nice hoe really, doesn't seem worn out. First time i've been on a 225 in 23 years, was kinda interesting to load. It was just like the one we used to have... won't track straight without holding the steering lever over a little... The trailer is borrowed, but I'd like to have it. It's a 2001 model Atoka. It's perfect for our Komatsu hoe. If I was to get it, I'd lower my fifth wheel back down. I raised it 4", for ground clearance with my folding neck 3 axle. If it was normal height, the Komatsu hoe would be just a shade under 14' on it.
Here's a Cat rock truck I moved last week. Below that......um... the 2014 pos Peterbilt heavy haul that th boss was forced into buying. ps... thanks carb hope you choke on a chicken bone.
Right side of the truck is where the contraption is thats supposed to make the world a better place to live in. Under the passenger seat is the battery box. There's no room for it outside so inside the cab it goes. Overall, I'm glad it wasn't me spending $ on one of these new trucks. The ride is fine and the AC works well...other than that, pure crap.
Would a KW been a better choice? Trying to find myself a newer rig, as the boss man wants to get me a better truck. Got some specs for a few, with batteries under the seat. I don't get why they don't put them between the frame rails. My current truck that's where they are located.
I was in a 05 KW that was perfect for the job. With only 260,000 original miles its only issue was CARB related. As for the batteries in the cab? I think it's a heat issue and the limited or lack of space. This truck runs so damned hot that you will singe the hairs off of your sack if you wet a tire on the right side.
hows the wagon fix comming?
65 ton sany rt. On trailking baby 9 axle
Sorry trying to post pics.
I don't think the batteries in that space are such a terrible idea, since all that ever gets put there is junk and water from the floorboards gets in there and rusts said junk anyway. What I do think is bad is the fact that 4 bolts and the whole seat have to come out of there to get at them. There should be some kind of a quicker way to get in there. But it probably would be better to put them in between the frame if possible for the type of truck.
I sure don't like the idea of having batteries in the cab, with the gases produced by charging and the possibility of battery acid leaking if in an accident. Perhaps they are dry cell batteries, but the arcing that could result during a serious crash that close to the driver makes me uncomfortable.
One thing is for sure your the first to now when a battery goes bad.
I agree at least on principle. Maybe technology has improved but they have a sticker saying sealed type battery only. They are a much more expensive type of battery. I think the one I saw had Optimas in it. Of course, it would not be a very big job to make a holder and some cables to mount it between the frame if you really wanted to anyway. You could make a door and return the space under the seat to its normal usage of carrying junk.
I have a 70 ton 9 axle lowboy a 2x2x2 and i can only scale about 110000 to 115000 in all 48 states. Mainly cause of the axle weight restrictions on some states. But sometimes I can make it work out. If you want to see more pictures check out http/crumbleytrucking.googlepages.com/
Fixed your link: http://crumbleytrucking.googlepages.com/ Nice pics! Andrew
Thanks Thanks!!
nice truck and nice trailer
This is my current heavy haul trailer...direct competition with Hallamore; got them shaking in their boots over this.
Nice Mack's, tell us a little bit about them, specs etc.
Thanks The white one is a 1990 Superliner with a Mack E-7 400, 13 speed, 44K rears on Camelbacks, and double frame. The red / black one is a 1979 Superliner with a Cummins KT-450, 15 speed OD, 55K rears, and double frame. I drive them myself to move my equipment and pull an occasional dump trailer they are old but they both work right on and on. Justin
Really, not from what I see! they seem to find the 1655 a "challenge"
Id love to have an old super dog with a 35 ton detachable, maybe someday I will be able to justify it! Keep the pics coming.
A picture of my 1990 Mack Superliner hauling my Ford L9000 Dump Truck.
Let me guess. The Ford won't pass DOT inspection, so you haul it to the pit, load it with rock, and haul it to the job site!!! Just joking with ya
Naw he can scale more this way:drinkup
truck and trailer O6 379 and loadking
Nice
lowboy pics 65 Ton sany rt on our 60 ton trailking.
more pics 125,000 lb transformer on our 75ton siebert.
Here is a old B Mack with a D8 we came across on vacation in Minot ND.
And here is a picture of me hauling a similar D8 cable dozer to the pic above.
Spent my Christmas eve moving this: Chained up four times that day, was off the road twice(once loaded and once empty), limped it back to the shop to fix a partially blocked fuel line afterwards.
Hey everybody, this is my first post to the site. heres my fontaine 50 ton lowboy. i have a new talbert on the way ill post some pics when it comes in
Got the glass put in, the final touches on the '68 Power Wagon.
1946 Trailmobile to haul my JD644b and other farm equipment. Previous owner replaced the spring axel's with a Neway air ride system. Some deck boards need replaced and I just picked up the steel for ramps.
Went out to move the 98 Link Belt Monday, we couldn't get the gantry down, hydraulic troubles. Finally, we figured out a way to let it down with a D6C tied onto one of the guy lines.
New talbert came in this past week. 60 ton 10' wide
Picture of our 2011 9900ix International with a 2012 Jet 35 ton that we use for custom hauling Ag equipment. SMSU homecoming parade 2014
Capacity 120 tons lowboy trailer
funny that dont look like any part of TX i ever seen
the trailer and photo from China
Here in Brazil, i work on a conveyor that handles transportation of all kinds. From simple to special loads. Some pics: Volvo FH 520 HP 8x4 This part is used in the treatment of cellulose and weighed 80T
dirt123: How many more trailers to transport that 1250? 5 more? L track, R track, counterweight, boom, stick? Andrew
Yep
Do I win a prize? Pretty good guess considering we rarely see machines of that size around here. Andrew
Pilbara trucking in Western Australia
2003 T800 with a 16 tire cozad
" Go up to the shop in the morning, grab the D6C and take it out to the job." Yeah, right. Nothing like shoveling snow all morning to get yourself in a good mood. I'm ready for spring.
Yup,5 below zero,go get the 320C from the job site where you dug the cellar yesterday and bring it over here.The Mack was plugged in so it started ok,we had a 35 ton Rogers with a wetline so no problems there except the foot on the ram was missing so I had to find something to shim that up.I side loaded using to snowbanks for ramps.The Cat started ok.Such is life.It is nice when the operator can also move the equipment.Ron G
977 bottom dump hauler. Near Santa Maria, CA 2005
moving our 375. Me move it around all summer
Lots of nice trucks.
I'll post some pics of the mack I drive when I've made enough posts.
How do you add a picture, im sorry im a newbie haha
When you reply in Quick Reply, hit Go Advanced, scroll down to Manage Attachments, click on that and a screen will appear where in the upper right corner you can "add files" click and you have the option to take or select a picture from your photo album. I can add three at a time. More will lock it up. After you hit upload they will load to the bottom of the page. May take a few seconds depending on connection. Then hit done to upload them and return to your post. Its a lot simpler than it sounds.
I guess I could catch up with some of my recent hauling https://vimeo.com/161407480
Whats the tonnage rating on the skinny framed bridge in the last two pictures. Looks like serious pucker factor to me on the weight. I would be OK with the clearance.
The bridge is rated for 200,000 pounds, I should have been right at 110,000 with that load. We've crossed that bridge with every different machine you can imagine and it's always tight. We actually had some 2x4's laying on the deck under that undercarriage to raise it up a bit, and there are some chains and binders holding the outside of the track pad up. Good thing we did all that!!
The hate I had to go in was a little tighter than the bridge, I rubbed on both sides, but everything was still standing after I got through
What are you using for a camera,lens etc.for theses pics?Inquiring minds need to know.Nice pics and equipment,brings back memories,thanks.Ron G
Thank you! All of these pics are from my iPhone 6
I guess while I'm at it, I should show my favorite lowbed picture. This is my grandpa's 1953 bubble nose Pete hauling his 1968 rail truck on his 1946 Pierce lowbed. He still has both of the trucks in this picture parked side by side at his house.
I love 9900's! Nice.
Amazing.I thought the wide angle shots had to be from a camera.I have a cell phone with a camera but I have never used the cam,only when trying to talk on the phone and trying to hold on to it without dropping it I hit the cam button by accident )Thanks for the reply and the pics.Ron G
What was the rail truck used for? hauling lumber, crossties?
It's a lumber truck, no bed means less weight and more payload capacity. Those cross pieces that the load sit on are actually chunks of aluminum frame rail from another truck. That truck also has an aluminum frame and cab, the tare weight on it with full fuel tanks was only 18,000 pounds
That's what I thought. That is light! My brother had a 1960 Ford set up without the crosspieces, he hauled 8' RR crossties.
The rails got pulled off and used for a set of doubles to try and get an even lighter setup. It's now just a bare truck parked in the yard right beside that bubble nose. Neither one of them run at the moment, but my goal is to get that bubble nose back on the road and recreate that picture, that would be a hell of a setup to take to the truck shows!
New to me trailer, with its first load, set of high clearance sprayer skinnies. My dad bought the sprayer with the extra set of tires last year or year before can't remember, but well overdue.
Here's mine
Here's a few..... I could post one a day for a couple years and still have some left! Haha Not sure what order I put them in but there's a 657, 385 and a grove 9130E.
This black trailer is an amazing trailer, can you configure it for super heavy loads or just regular heavy? Is that one trailer differently configured?
The black trailer is an 85 ton Kalyn Siebert. It's set up to run like that all the time, not really modular in axle configuration but I have deck inserts for it. It'll carry about 100 ton comfortably if it's not too top heavy. The gray trailer is by far the toughest lowboy I've owned. Way underrated at 60 tons. I've moved a D11 without the blade here and there a few times with it.
I am just wondering 1) Can you back up with a trailer with extra front axles and 2) How easy is it to turn with so many axles on the rear? Does your truck have a huge 500 hp engine on it to pull that stuff?
With loads up to 100T, I can't imagine not having at least 500hp and an 18 speed. More power and gears wouldn't surprise me. I have a 500hp Detroit 12.6L with an 18 speed. I can't imagine wanting any less!
Here are some videos of them in operation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn6L06vAOTE
Thank you Birken,somebody is always thinking.Ron G
It's more about gears and torque than HP. I've run 435 HP to 550 HP that all put out 1850 torque. I always run a 4.56 rear and an auxiliary behind a 15 or an 18. Getting around isn't horrible bad, there's just some places you can't go. With a 30' deck we were 134' long. Backing with that particular trailer wasn't too bad. It wasn't full steerable but we had awesome bump steer and with the right tillerman you could get around pretty good backwards. Assuming the driver knew how to back with a jeep. I stuck that pig in some tight places with 40' in the well. Won a steak dinner off a project manager in GA as a matter of fact. Also, we ran 50-55 mph tops. It takes a lot of fuel to run any faster with a small rig let alone one with 50 tires on the ground and lord knows what catching wind. It's a whole different segment of trucking. About the only similarities are the DOT man. Usually we were so wide or heavy they couldn't weigh us on a fixed scale. Some states met us at the line, did an inspection and weighed us. Some didn't seem to care as long as they stuck us for the high dollar permits.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ICw5GyU4SJk Here's a job we did a few years back for a freight forwarding company. My little fleet did exactly what the video shows. We worked out a$$es off!!! The Kalyn is shown several times in the video. The gray and orange Pete with the Liddell 13 was a friend of mine that helped out. Junkyard
That Pete wasn't driven by Lowboy Lecroy was it???
Yep sure was. Ole rubber head Ted! Junkyard
I had the opportunity to talk with him over some beers in MD, super cool guy! We stayed in touch for a while, is he still with Taylor.
I haven't talked to him for several months if not longer but last I heard he was still there. At that time he was pulling a flatbed hauling aluminum for a contract they have. Super guy. The two of us have done more with lowboys than most dream about LOL. Legal or otherwise! Junkyard
Haha, he told me some of his outlaw hauling stories and I have no doubt they were true!
Heavy Aussie spec truck we have had in NZ for two years now. 240 tonne chassis rating
Wow, that's a nice rig! What drivetrain does it have and what are the finned aluminium looking things on the drive axle hubs? I have never seen those before.
Planetary rears on it I’m sure. They do stuff bada$$ there. I’d love to come move some big iron down under!
Yep SISU hub reduction diffs, 18 speed RR box and Cummins 620hp up front
Here was what I had on the other day, nothing compared to those though!
Can't recall if I ever posted these before.
Nige wins! How far were you going that it made sense to go to that much trouble of hauling them instead of roading?
The loader was going about 1200km, the truck about 500km IIRC. It was a while ago. The back story is that it was far more difficult & time-consuming to assemble machines on customer's sites because of a heap of things. Paperwork, safety, distances, etc. We came to the conclusion that it was easier & far cheaper to assemble everything in the yard then throw it on a lowboy and deliver it in one piece to the customer. Here's a couple of photos showing what the yard looked like back in the day.
But.... Why so many spare tires? Lol
When the nearest mobile tyre fitter is probably somewhere around 300 miles away from where you break down you carry as many spare tyres as you think you might need (and probably a few extra just to be on the safe side), because sure as Hell if you have to change one it's down to the truck crew and what they're carrying with them. The highways are miles & miles of this, even gas stations can be as much as 150 miles apart ..........
WOW that is a lot of nothing
Driest desert in the world if you believe what's written on the internet. 40,000 square miles of nothing - apart from copper, gold, lithium, & nitrates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atacama_Desert I used to chuckle when folks in South-Western US would talk about the "desert". I used to tell them "what you have here isn't desert, things grow in it."
Now that looks like the kind of road that could induce a person to, ahh, shall we say turn the pony's loose and let um have their head.
My "normal cruising speed" was usually 130-140km/h - the speed limit was 100km/h. The problem with that was that whenever you were least expecting it you'd barrel round one of the few corners and find a cop car coming the other way, and they ALWAYS had their radars switched on. Don't ask me how I know this ........
our C500
Used bridge dealership?
Dragging the D8 around.
I guess SHOWPONY wins for best or most modern art display
Sometimes we roaded them........
And here I felt like I was doing something. I need to get out more.
I don't own this rig, but I do drive it every day. 05' W900 w/625 Cat & 18 speed.The trailer is an 06' Talbert RGN with a booster axle.
not mine and don`t drive it but interesting
not mine and don`t drive it but interesting View attachment 201435
About 1 year ago
Some more
Havnt been on here for a while, here's a 9L near Morro Bay, CA 2005ish
One of our Macks hauling a Sandvik D55 rig. 738 wasn't the regular tractor for that trailer. I need to see if I can find some photos of the big Mack we had. What a POS that thing was.
About 5 years earlier. Same trailer, same drill rig, different tractor. Loading one of our 10Ts on the same trailer.
Here's a 637E leaving the Cat dealer in Selma, CA sometime in 89. Swapped 2 worn out D's for 2 new ones that day. Wore me out.
Here's another 637D taken at Empire Cat in Mesa, AZ 1988. Enroute to Fresno, CA.
Here's a photo of the aforementioned POS......... (post 869)
Up in the Andes with a 994. Note: There is another tractor hung on to the front of the one in the photo. You can just see the towbar.
Same road, just a little further down The Hill. it might not look like it but that is about an 8% grade at that particular location if my memory serves me correctly. Highway B-475 from La Negra to Mina Escondida, Chile.
That D10on the trailer really shows the size of that trailer. That drill is huge.
That bucket still had paint inside.
Nige, what is axle width on the main carrier and how long did it take to load that machine?
That's a unique (at least to me) looking jeep under the back of the scraper. When moving the Cat 660 we used a 9 axle rig and the jeep had a cradle that the rear scraper tires set in between the axles.
That's just an 8 tire dolly. The D&Es put 44-45K on it with a permitted max of 46,400. I helped a guy once move a 660 and he used a 16 tire basket dolly in back.
We used a 16 tire 2 axle basket also. Also had to drop the lift mechanism for the gate.
A brand-new machine being delivered to the customer.
Let me see if I can find a sequence of photos of us loading one. The loading process took about 4 hours to the point of having everything aboard, chained up, and ready to roll. I may be able to answer your other questions at that time. The bogies both front and rear of the lowboy deck were steerable. The trailer was 300-ton capacity, the loader weighed about 230 tons. The furthest distance we ever moved one was about 1200km, give or take.
Different loader - same trailer. The trailer arriving in the assembly yard to loaded up and leaving. According to the time stamps on the photos - 4-1/2 hours from start to finish.
From the looks of that last photo the two bogies were only a couple of feet wider than the truck that was pushing. The load on the trailer was a fair bit wider than that though........
Same outfit, different cargo (a product from the Dark Side) - last year. That landscape brings back memories..........
And in case anyone wonders why three tractors - they were headinbg up the same road that this guy is coming down.
How far were they moving that? I always drove our 994 from pit to pit although it probably was never more than 3 or 4 miles.
There were a number of companies that had 994's available for rental, this one belonged to Henry Waler Eltin. Their units got moved all over the place. 500 miles or more for a move was not uncommon. Not sure where this one had come from but it was going to Escondida. Thinking back it may have come from Maricunga so that would have been about a 700-mile move from 13,000ft up in the mountains, down to sea level, then back up to 10,000ft to the job site. AMECO once roaded their 994 150 miles to a job site.........
So, that's the tri-drive that was always shelling out inter-axle driveshafts? At least it had a decent sized knuckleboom on it.
Yeah, the knuckleboom was far more use than the truck TBH.
One day many moons ago we had a 988 87A in the shop that we just finished some major work on and boss of the quarry where it came from insisted he needed it delivered today. As there was no truck available to do the move it was decided to drive it, a 87 mile run from our shop to the quarry in Watertown NY. As I recall we took it right up Interstate 81. Sure enough when we got there they had left for the day and locked the gate. good thing is I had been the follow car with the service truck. A quick look and we figured out it was a simple job of unbolting a bit of the gate. Drove loader up next to the office and bolted the gate back together and left. Next day our boss got a phone call from that quarry boss who was surprised it was there and could not figure out how we got in the gate! I have a feeling after that run then parking with hot tires it probably had a little bouncy ride for a few days if it ever got right! Another move that I was not in on was moving a Michigan 475 IIIA from near Syracuse NY to Downingtown PA, something on the size of 275 milles! As I recall the cab and bucket were removed for that one and it took a couple days.
Here's a pic of a leg jack from an offshore rig. Went from Diablo Cyn in Central CA to LA area for repair. 72 Pete and a 69 Beall fixed neck 7 axle unit.
The good old days using a Beall also. Beall made/makes good stuff.
MAN I LOVE THAT OL FORD 9000L WISH I COULD FIND ONE WITH LITTLE SLEEPER LIKE THAT AS A PROJECT TRUCK SOMEWHERE BUT ANYWAY NICE RIDE
The son of a friend of mine that has small excavation business just bought this home built, two were made in the late 70's. And another friend owns it's brother. It was bought at a pretty low price, the dad runs/owns a machine/fabrication business and they plan to up grade the detachable neck for easier hook/unhook. When the two were built locally it was not spared any steel the main I beams are 24", axles are on General walking beam with solid spindles. This one moved a D9H most of it's life and still has a nice positive arch. Steve who owns the brother to this one has had 80 ton on his.----------Plus he also bought a 79 W900 with a BCII and 5X4 for a tractor to pull it.
What's that thing weigh it looks hard to hurt
Don't know the un-laden/tare weight.
Not a Lowboy but a large move short distance.
doubled
did it again
OxBow photo and a Lampson
What's special about a T800 with the wide hood vs a standard T800?
Bigger cooling capacity?
Correcto DB2-------Those are powered buy Big Guns.
How big are the big guns? Looking at ads for used trucks, I see a fair amount of C15/N14 450-550hp range standard hood T800's listed for sale. I have no use for a real big truck, I'm just curious about the differences.
The T800Ws have something like 20% more radiator surface area. They are easy to pick out with the single headlight hood. As for big power, there are a few widehoods out there with C16s.
600 to 625 hp. Cat, Cummins.
None of my T800W’s really had big power other than the one I tuned. They had considerably more radiator capacity plus they had more air under the truck which helped everything else. It wasn’t uncommon for a long grade out west to take me an hour to climb if I was pulling the 13 axle. Every single thing on a wide hood (assuming proper spec) is made to have the guts pulled out of it. After we tuned mine the guy was afraid we had it too hot so we put it on the dyno and ran it hard like a big trailer would on a 7-8% grade. Dyno gave up before truck got anywhere near high temps with oil or water. I will say the things I had to watch rather close were the front driver and the aux trans. It wasn’t hard to get the front driver to peg a 300 degree gauge on a long hard pull. We got creative with oil and coolers which cured the aux issue but never did get the rears to cool down. Just had to watch them close and keep the oil change interval short. The lifespan of every single thing on a lowboy truck is way shorter than the average truck. Hoses, fluids, filters, tires, suspension parts etc etc. I didn’t do my oil changes by mileage. I kept track of fuel consumed and that’s when it got changed. Quite a bit to truck spec and upkeep under a big trailer moving big iron.
Our 35 ton TK and 01 379EXHD
Do you have auto-chains on that?
Automatic tire chains?
With those double humps and in NY.
What? You don't want to pull fenders just to put on chains? Looks like a paving machine, they're like me- when the snow flies we just stay home.....
Oh no----no staying home for the wicked. Often thought a set of three railers would add proper clearance. Hell 20 of our trucks have them, can't keep the drivers away from their fried chicken, tater tots, little debbie snacks, german dogs and corn dogs and five gallon bucket of dipping sauce. And yeah it looks like a grinder.
Just getting ready for Monday
I got my trailer licence at 19 in 1969 in this. A folding gooseneck and no rear ramps then, they were added latter. The truck is an Inter F230d, 6-71N series @238 hp, 5x4 twin stick, Garwood winch to lift and lower the trailer. Ex NZ Army now in private ownership.
T'was always said that the best place for snow was on a Christmas card .....
Does that trailer have the hydraulic front ramp right behind the neck, for driving up onto the neck? The rental houses by us all use trailers like that, and I've always wondered whether I would like that better than my tilt deck .
Yes it has the 10 ft ramp as opposed to the 8 ft front ramp kinda nice for certain things it's a very handy trailer it does have some limitations but nothing big I like them because the tails are really fast compared to a landoll and they beat an old tilt deck that goes 10 ft in the air as well
The tilts were/could be the sh!ts trying to load a rubber tire roller when the deck was wet.
may have posted this before. it has front ramp
wish i could get this damn op sys. right
No automatic chains. Try not to run in the winter much and definitely not on the snow days if we can help it. You nailed it, that was a grinder I had on that day. For the most part its hooked to our Trout River live bottom hauling asphalt.
Oh that's a nice photo!
Thank you. I know it’s not a lowboy but it’s just for illustrative purposes. We put the floats on and had to drop the stacks to fit under one of the asphalt plants we load out of. The trailer is new and just got new poly fenders to match up with the tractor a little better.
How much can you haul in that thing? I have never seen one of those trailers, how does it work?
I’m good for about 37 ton. The trailer has a 39” wide belt that runs the material out the back. Trailer can haul just about anything except items bigger than 3” in diameter and scrap metal. Trout River has tons of videos on there web site of these trailers in action if you got a minute. They are much safer- no dumping.
You see a lot of asphalt hauled with those in Michigan too.
That's cool, I didn't realize they were used for anything but produce or grain and stuff like that but it sure makes sense. 37 tons is a good jag on 7 axles, you would be lucky to get 30 on that around here