With the price of fuel dropping drastically I wonder if it's worthwhile filling all my machines up and the slip tank with diesel. Diesel will last a lot longer than gas. Even if I can't open the tracks to the public I could still do some work on them by myself once things dry up.
I was thinking a few pop bottles too
I am going to fill my bulk diesel tank here shortly (its only 275 gallons for my own use).
I need to fill mine soon also. Have read that diesel doesn't last more then a year, but I've used some much older then that without issue (at least none so far)
I've got two 55 gallon cans that I've considered filling, 15 gallons at a time. Supposedly, I can find someone to come fill them, but I haven't discovered that someone, in my area, yet. It seems kind of silly not to. I've also bought some Shell and BP stock.
I'm in the oil and gas business, and I'm NOT buying E&P stocks. We're gearing up for massive layoffs and cut backs. This is going to get worse before it gets better. Some of our clients stacked out rigs that were in the middle of being drilled. They drilled to casing depth, set casing and shut down. Sent the rigs to the yard. This is all in the last week. In all honesty, I don't know if I'll be employed tomorrow, next week or next month. All that said, I am planning on filling my backhoe, bobcat, dump truck and 100 gallon slip tank when I get home. I might be asking questions related to starting a small excavation business very soon.
Being in Dayton you may not be able to get a farm delivery. Do check around some may still do it. Most charge on road price for off road diesel.
I filled my slip tank with on-road diesel... Local off road (2 miles away) fuel place is higher priced than lowest on-road (5 miles away). Competition works for the customer.
I've heard diesel is good for 2 years.
Yeah, I need to spend some time to call around some. I wouldn't really even mind if it's all on the road diesel as much as I don't have the equipment to unload full 55 gallon drums, nor a trailer or something to carry them...
Depends on the storage conditions and the metals in contact with the fuel...Zinc as in galvanized reacts to form gels. I remember something regarding copper bearing metals (brass ) but can't confirm it.
You have a loader …
Saw the bill from the cardlock place we use and the cheapest red was 1.79 but mostly we have been paying just over 2 bux
I used to unload a lot of full 55 gallon steel oil drums by rolling them out of the back of a pickup on to a tire or two. Remove the rim first. I don't think I would try it today with a plastic barrel though.
If you order off road fuel here you can still get it without the bio in it. You have to ask or they send the ****. Good old fashion diesel fuel will store for years. I buy all non bio for off road use. Time to fill up the double wall fancy 600 gallon tank in my machine shed that I salvaged off a hospital generator project. The sub was going to send it with the scrap.
The biggest problem with storing diesel is algae growing at the water/diesel interface. So you say "I don't have water in my diesel". Thats great, but you can get it. Your tank is always breathing. Changes in temperature and barometric pressure make it breathe. Its not much of a problem when the tank is full, not much air so not much breathing. Once you get some air space the problems can start. It doesn't always happen, but it can.
Are there additives that can counteract deterioration? what are better filters to use?
Gas in some parts of BC is close to $0.55/L. Not good. I'd love one last $100/bbl boom before I move on from the oil & gas industry. Not likely to happen though
Marked Diesel was 82 cents per litre here the other day.
we just pre bought fuel for the next year. these prices are in $CAD, marked fuel and delivered to the farm. 47cents a litre for gas and 60cents a litre for diesel.
I guess we are still paying the Island sunshine tax on our fuel
58.8 Those are great prices!
Unbelievable prices. But the sad part is that all the guys/girls working oilfield are out of work in town. And if they are working there has been pay cuts. When your area relies on the oil and gas industry it’s kind of a bad thing to see low fuel prices because you know your just waiting for a lay off to happen.
Yeah and the price of oil is under $5/barrel. Once this Covid 19 is under control I wonder if Quebec and Ontario will send transfer payments to Alberta? Oilfield is getting slammed in every direction. I just caught a short glimpse but I think there's talk of shutting down the camps in the oilsands or doing something to distance the workers.
I gassed up yesterday, been a long time since the dollars went up slower than the liters. 59.9
It's a double edged sword. While I certainly enjoy the cheaper energy prices for my personal use, it certainly came around at a price. The company I work for has started heavy layoffs already and announced a 40% pay cut to the field hands yesterday. The bright side for now is I'm still employed and still have pretty good health insurance. Rig counts are dropping dramatically around West Texas, and other regions, and Texas reported an explosion in unemployment claims last week, and the layoffs have only just begun.
Of course not. Us Albertans aren't the chosen ones. They'll just keep bleeding us dry.
I’m sure it’s in the works to get shut down. I heard a rumour that 16,000 people getting sent out of mc Murray. The camps were doing all the distancing precautions ex: bringing food to your room, everyone had a certain time slot to leave their room ect. Then all of a sudden they just pulled the pin and let everybody go. I’m not sure but it would be interesting to hear from a good source.
Haven't heard anything on the local news about it but will pass on anything I hear in regards to it.
Its a break to get this cheap fuel, but i think we are better off to be bitching about high prices ,and seeing our neighbors still working in the oil patch. Hope when this settles its full steam ahead on those pipelines!!
As always take it out on the lowest common denominator. When the oil companies were posting Mega Millions profits every three months did they reward the hourly help that made it happen. I am sure they did not.
When the oil companies were making mega millions profit the whole oil and gas industry and hundreds of thousands of workers were benefitting. That's why Alberta didn't complain as much about transfer payments. With the current slump the Alberta Premier is pushing hard to have the transfer payment agreement modified to reflect what it is happening with Alberta and oil prices. For decades Alberta put the most into federal coffers. Now that Alberta's really hurting BC, Quebec and the bone heads in Ottawa are doing more to make it even worse than they are trying to improve it. Make Alberta great again and all of Canada benefits.
Unfortunately Dave, I have a feeling by the time our government reacts and we stop paying massive piles of money to the east, we'll be on the upswing again. Then they'll want those transfer payments back ASAP. My biggest frustration with this country is how none of the provinces are willing to actually work together to move forward. I still can't wrap my head around importing oil from less ethical countries when Alberta is one of the most responsible producers of crude oil on the planet.
Marked is $0.76. Sure can't complain. Most of the last year it's been around $1. Been looking at buying a 500 or 1000 gallon tank to store more. But tanks are pricey. No idea if anyone would fill a gravity tank? Those are cheap.
Get some of the 300 gal totes
Those plastic ones? I've never heard/seen of putting diesel in them, are they actually safe for it? And would any company actually fill them? I have Petro Canada cardlock right now so would probably use them for delivery if I get a tank.
I have stored lots of diesel and gas in them. They work great. I've even used them to transport diesel on a trailer. if your worried about getting funny looks just wrap in it plywood. haha. A few years ago good friend of mine was spread boss for a big pipeline company, the fuel supplier wanted to charge them allot of money to empty their storage tank at the laydowm so he let a few of us loose on taking care of it. I had 8 totes on at 16' tandem axle trailer behind the service truck. Got a few trips like that. luckily I had a good line on clean engine oil totes. Got to run "FREESIEL" for quite some time. that was back when our economy was rocking in 2013.
LOL, If they caught you doing that down here there would be hell to pay!!!!!
I was able to get a hold of 325 gallons of off road diesel from a generator at a hospital last year. Filled my tote and hauled it back. It was illegal to haul for me that much fuel, but State Trooper I talked to said don't pass a weight station, put a tarp over it, and don't get in an accident. Getting off topic I mentioned it to a fella that fills farm diesel tanks, what I have and he had no issue with it. Now he did not look at my setup, but I told him what I have. Have one tote sitting on another for gravity feed. Buddy uses same tote but uses a pump to pump it out Now the ball valve may leak (depends on how old) but all have caps to close them off. It there is another leak for simular get some cheap vitron gasket and replace cap gasket
Doesn't bother me how they look, if anything it's better as it's not as obvious it's diesel for potential thieves and size wise they would fit in my pallet racking. More so if they are safe, and if anyone would fill them? Taking them on a trailer to fill wouldn't be a huge deal, but then there is the issue for TDG because it's over 100 gallons I believe is the limit?
Yep, down here the fuel companies will fill whatever you tell them to fill
Yea I figure the worst part would be transporting them as it's not legal here either I believe, especially because i'd probably want 4 of them to get a worthwhile amount. Considering the small capacity if I used a pump would need to be able to remove it easy, so would probably just remove it every time and store in my sea can.
Interesting. Guess i'll make a phone call tomorrow and if they will fill them it's time to buy some tanks. There's a ton for sale ranging from $50-150. Won't even take 1 fill to pay for them.
Personally I think the price of fuel will drop a bit more....
Petrocan fills my 500 gal tank no problem. Its in a containment box just in case.
A lot of pumps say on them to only use approved containers. I think it would totally depend on the cop or DOT that pulled you over. There are a few laws that are a real grey area like caps on cylinders in transport. They sell caps that allow you keep regulators on but they aren't DOT approved. There are a lot of welding trucks with regulators attached to cylinders but I talked to someone who got a $750 fine with the snap caps when the law and enforcement rules aren't real clear. He thinks it was basically a gung ho highway patrol wanting to find something wrong. His cylinders were securely attached and upright. It would have taken a collision with train to cause a problem. Probably more chance of a gas tank exploding. I guess you need to decide if taking the risk is worth it.
The DOT in NB have been replaced with the public safety enforcement. Basically the old highway patrol. In the last few years they started going after everything. Dot always left our fuel truck alone. We have a 2000 liter tank in a cube van. They saw someone fueling out of the back of it. Had to have placards, the tank had to be inspected, the driver had to have a dangerous goods ticket. Then they checked all the slip tanks. we had mostly old truck tanks in a frame. They all had to be replaced. Then they started picking on our one ton trucks. We have hauled the Bobcat with the asphalt grinder, bucket, 2 brooms, and water tank on a three axle trailer behind a 4 door F450. Now the driver needs a class 3 without air brakes to drive the truck.
Yeah cuttin edge, they started doing that around here few years back... anybody with a one ton and a trailer behind it was getting pulled over!!!
I got ticketed in Saskatchewan a few years ago for having an empty tidy tank on the crane truck i was driving back from Manitoba to BC.They asked me how big the tank was and i guessed about 400L. so he writes me a ticket for not having dangerous goods certification for over 400 L. Tank was dry empty given to me when i bought the truck.Typical picky DOT. It stuff like that that makes me truck at night and on weekends.
I picked up an empty container at the port in Halifax. Got to the scales in Bouctouche NB. They kept the red light on and the guy came out and motioned me to the back. There was a whimis placard on the back, and he wouldn't let me leave unless I scraped it off. He didn't fine me, but he said it couldn't be there unless I was hauling what was on the label. You would think if your tank was empty, you wouldn't need markings. I think here, you have to be off the road with anything wider than the deck of your float, half an hour before before dark. Friday you have to be off the road by 4:00, but you can haul oversize on Saturday, but then the only day you can move a house is on a Sunday before 9 AM, but then if you go to another province the rules change again.
In the distant past a good cop would give a warning and 24 hours to meet requirements. Years ago I got pulled over by the truck unit hauling a 45 HP tractor behind a 1 ton. One guy asks for my license and registration and the other guy spends 10 minutes walking around inspecting my trailer, tires, safety chains and how the tractor is chained down etc. Says everything is good. Then the first prick gives me a $150 ticket because I didn't have GVW numbers on the side of the truck. I told them when I registered it all I was told is they have to be registered as a unit. There was never any mention that it required GVW numbers on the truck. They guessed it was over 5500kg. There's trailers on the road that are just plain scary and I get a ticket because I don't have some numbers on the side of the truck. Why couldn't they have just informed me I needed the numbers on the side? I had it registered for the capacity of the truck and trailer and was know where close to that. Someone suggested I should have fought it because they never put it on a scale.
One of our guys carries a copy of the regs for moving equipment with him. As long as the chains are certified, it goes by weight. According to the book, I can haul the D3 with 2 chains. I normally use more especially if there is snow on the deck or raining. There is no law for cross chaining, but I normally cross chain large excavators, and the shuttle buggy. Like you said, it depends on the cop.I could see if it's a clear safety violation, but GVW numbers, a warning or advisory would be good enough.
Yeah but.... 'good enough' don't get them the $$$$$
In Michigan, any tank over 400 gallons needs containment. I haven't researched multiple containers less than 400 but seem to rmember that's a no-no.
I wouldn't consider taking tanks like that to be filled, too much liability/risk/hassle transporting them. But if I can get them filled at my yard? Sure. Exactly why I bought a 100 gallon slip tank, to be under the limit and not have any issues. I've been pretty lucky with getting stopped actually, never stopped by DOT. In fact I had one cop thank me for tieing everything down properly when he was ticketing me for a stupid driving infraction. Never got a ticket for anything other then driving infractions. I did get a warning once though, cop thought I had a low tire as duals were nearly touching, wasn't smart enough to know it was because I was overloaded, not a low tire. So I kept my mouth shut. Ended up with a $300 ticket on a monday because registration expired the day before.
I've always considered tickets as being taxes for doing something stupid. Stupid doesn't mean being dumb, most of the time just uniformed. Things like mud flaps you didn't know got torn off and such. On the other hand doing things that are regulated and not knowing those regulations is being stupid and sometimes you have to pay the stupid tax.
It doesn't help when the regulations aren't real clear and the people enforcing them aren't familiar with them. There can be differences between provincial regulations and federal regulations as well. Have talked to a couple guys with welding trucks that were told they need to have dangerous goods placards on their trucks. Placards generally aren't required unless you have over 5 cylinders. It goes by weight. If you're carrying 4 liquid oxygen dewars you need placards. A customer brought in a couple milk crates full of plumbers B tanks to get exchanged and required placards on the truck. A welding truck with 3 or 4 cylinders doesn't require them. Reminds me of the video below where the cop doesn't know the bylaw he's trying to enforce.
On top of what john said i must add that if they gave warnings why would anyone stop? I know i have played stupid to try and get out of a ticket and the times it worked i did the same thing again.
Nothing wrong with giving a friendly reminder to get something fixed (that isn't a serious safety issue) so it meets regulations. You don't stop is another issue all together. It's a big power trip for some of the people giving tickets. Here's where they should throw the book at someone yet they also gave warnings. A little more serious than having a tail light out, missing a mud flap or not knowing you need numbers over 5500kg's. https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/a-huge-...red-load-gets-13-traffic-violations-1.4586472
We have CVOR's here in Ontario to make revenue collection easier for the MTO and police...Saves them from having to key in all your info every time they ticket you...
Lower fuel prices my ass, still charging $2.79 for propane here in Miles City, Montana.
Propane won't go down till summer, or at least that is how I've always seen it
Was same price as last year in the summer time here. Nothing has budged.
Bought mine last year at 1.67 gal
I love it! Using stupid to get out of the stupid tax.
Sometimes you gotta fight stupid with even more stupid. My boss got out of a seat belt ticket by telling the cop he didnt realise you had to wear them in the city when the cop told him you had to wear them in the country also he pretended that was news to him. No clue how it worked i think the guy just could not believe some one said that to him.