I just purchased a 2001 New Holland Ls180 SS. I think it seems to be in decent shape with 2080 hrs on it. A couple things wrong that I am trying to take care of and if anyone has any insights, please share. It belonged to a water well drilling service and was packed with sandy oily mud. I took off all of the access panels from the bottom, the fenders and lifted the seat and pressure washed for a solid three hours. WOW! The first thing to tackle, the parking brake. It did not work at all. Looked at the owners guide, looked and sounded easy enough to adjust. The pictures Lie! The problem as most of you probably already know is that everything is so jam packed into a SS and there is not much room to work. I started with the left side (if you were sitting in the seat). How do you get to these parts? my hands won't fit. Ah, take out the control handle, easy enough. Once that is done I find MORE MUD. Adjusting the brake was pretty easy. About 2hours for the left side from take out the control hand to putting it back. Now the right side, I figure about 1/2 the time now that I know what I am doing, Wrong! The right side is a little trickier, the mechanical is all running to the back (opposite of the left) there is less room back there and the final brake lever needs to come forward instead of back which makes it harder to get your sausage fingers in there but it can be done and now I have park brakes. A piece of ply wood laid out from the cab opening to the drive assembly gives you a place to lay on so you can work. The next thing I am going to try to adjust is the drive. This is what I named the post for and am looking for advice on. I have the owners manual but not a service manual. The problem is when you let go of the control handles and the machine is supposed to go to neutral and stop, it doesn't. It continues to move really slow and you have to play with the handles very slowly to get it to quit. I hope this is just an adjustment. Also this machine has the two speed which I did not no until I got it home and was checking it out. I don't think the salesman new either. The spring on the two speed drive is broken so it does not work right now, I ordered a new one (65.00) hope it works after I put it on. Any help or comments welcome.
Ok I tried to adjust the creep on my skid steer on Saturday and had no luck. As far as I can tell everything seems to be in the right adjustment. The controls seem very sensitive although I have never run a New Holland before. When you go full forward it tracks perfect, full back the right side gains on the right. That I can live with. The wheel creep when I stop is pretty annoying though, its tough to stay straight when trying to work slowly. Example: I was loading a pair of forks in the back of a pickup and to just go straight in and stop when you get to the tailgate you have to keep moving the handles to try to get it to stop completely. I am hoping that someone will be able to give me some advice or insight on what to do.
I have been watching your post waiting for someone else to respond but as no one has, I will. I have and '02 which is now doing the same thing. When I bought it in '04, and less than 1,000 hours ago, it didn't creep. Now it does. I use mine for technical work in my repair shop (engine remove/install, etc.) and it is a real problem. Temperature doesn't seem to make much difference. I can get out of it with it stopped and it will soon begin creep (both sides). All adjustments are in order. Best I can feel, it is something in the hystat control valve. Short of going into it without a clear direction, I have adjusted my parking brakes to work well and depend on them to keep it stopped when needed.
Does your manual give you the procedure for adjustment? If it does you must have all 4 wheels off the ground to do it right with no creep. If you don't have the procedure post again . I have it for the 170 but yours may be different , I am sure someone here would know. My 665 was very easy to adjust compared to my old bobcat. Having all wheels off the ground is very necessary.
Thanks wrwtexan, I did the same thing with the brakes. It works good when you get out, still a pain for the soft touch situations.
Thanks reply stovein. I do have the procedure from the owners manual and had the wheels off the ground. I have a friend with a 170 and he said under the seat looks completely different, He is having the same issue but doesn't have a owners manual. Would be great if you had the procedure.
Well we are on the subject of things wrong with the 180. I sit in the seat, have to buckle the seat belt to start it then I have to unbuckle and rebuckle to release the hydraulics?????????????? Is this normal?
try this link to see if it still works for free download of 160-170 manual. It will work for the lx 665 also, very little difference. http://www.mediafire.com/?ux89bq2u4u3ug
Well we are on the subject of things wrong with the 180. I sit in the seat, have to buckle the seat belt to start it then I have to unbuckle and rebuckle to release the hydraulics?????????????? Is this normal? Yes, that is normal. I couldn't stand it either so I removed the connection switch out of the buckle as I have a five point a racing harness for tree shearing and connected it into an on/off toggle switch to my left which after starting or getting out, open it, wait for beep, then close it to release valves. I actually like it as it keeps me from accidently moving something getting out or back in.