Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lube or not to Lube

Lonerock ยท 2016-11-21 12:43

I recently had the tach./hourmeter cable break on my Ford 445 TLB. I was fortunate to find one on EBay and it should arrive today. My question is should I try to oil the thing and if so what kind of oil. The thing is kind of a bear to change so maybe I just replace and hope for the best.

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2016-11-21 13:49

    I used to use moly grease myself, pull the cable out of the housing, grease it well, reinstall, YMMV

  2. #2jimg9842016-11-21 14:00

    replace housing not just the cable,, if the cable came with housing,, housing could be worn,, NAPA has a make your own cable is cheap

  3. #3check2016-11-21 19:37

    A few drops of motor oil every 5 or 10 years whether it needs it or not seems to make a difference. They don't turn very fast but it's still metal to metal. Some of the housings aren't watertight and if the cable has a dip it could hold moisture.

  4. #4trucker12016-11-21 20:14

    I used to use white lithium grease. George