Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lubricating track chain?

Norbert77 ยท 2016-09-11 23:02

My operators manual says to use used engine oil. Since its a 38 year old machine, I have to assume there is better things out there. Something that won't wash out. How often and how do you do it? Oil squirt can? Maka a puddle and keep driving through?

Replies6
  1. #1uffex2016-09-12 08:29

    Good day Norbert77 If you are looking for something that will not wash out try the grease used at assembly of some chains (Moly base), note it also cause the links to seize. KR Uffex

  2. #2John C.2016-09-12 20:57

    What kind of track chain are you talking about? The only type I worked with that suggested lube was the old flat pad machines with a drive chain and some kind of clutches to make them turn.

  3. #3uffex2016-09-13 03:55

    Good day John C I assume your question is to myself, I am sorry but my original replay was some what cynical, however to answer your question I was involved with an investigation into the link seizure issue some years ago, the problem appeared after some years of trouble free running so what transpired is that during assembly the track pins and been packed with a Moly based grease in an program to extend the working life, during the investigation links were taken apart to reveal the substance that had dried and hardened causing the issue. Formally the pins had beed assembled with a normal GP grease which had proved the better choice. Please do not confuse the process with that of SALT tracks as these are mainly tractor related application. I too remember the tumbler tracks these however were phased out as track speeds increased. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4John C.2016-09-13 19:05

    Hello uffix, I was replying to Norbert77 because he didn't specify what machine he was working on. We went through the stuck links here also, especially with the gray market machines. When I was a touch younger and caught in the technology advance from line shovels to hydraulic machines they all started out with flat pads and drive chains. Drive chains were just big chains and tension adjusted on one end of the track frame while the tracks were adjusted on the other end of the track frame. We regularly kept used engine oil for the chains and applied it liberally every week or so. Once in awhile I still see a Koehring or P&H with flat pads.

  5. #5Norbert772016-09-13 20:30

    It is a (77-84?) deere 693B feller converted to excavator.

  6. #6John C.2016-09-14 18:44

    That's new one on me. Never heard of a 693B feller buncher. I've seen 693 corn heads for a combine. I've also seen 690 excavators with flat pads.