Hi guys, Looking at 2 different units. Unit 1: 2001 Cat 322B 10,400 hrs. Owner/Op bought brand new, Pro heat with swivel bucket. Runs good, newer track etc Unit 2: 2003 Hitachi ZX270, 9200 hrs, Owner/Op, pro heat with a thumb Haven't ran it, its 6 hours away I have a triple axle flat deck to haul either one, they both fit within our weight restrictions on mobi equipment. The Cat is $25k more than the Hitachi. That seems way to big of a difference for me. Any advice? Are those eras of Cat THAT much better than the Hitachis?
Oooo Good fight. IMO I think the EX series of hitachi equipment was built "tougher" than the ZX. The B series cat hoes are nice machines too. Both are a pretty even score. For me, it would come down to who can give the best after sales in parts and service. Subject to condition, I would t put a lot between them.
Depends on how much hoe you're looking for. The 270 is quite a bit more machine, no? The swivel bucket (if it's a rotator, not a tilt) is quite a bit more money than a thumb as well.
Its just a tilt bucket. I am struggling, as i know the Cat is a Cat and can hold its value better. The owner is asking $90k vs the Hitachi at $65k. Thats such a huge difference that i think i am leaning to the Hitachi. Simply because i can get out from under it easier than if need be.
I do know that there are tilt buckets out there that cost $20,000 plus tax, not sure if this is one of them, but I'd feel confident some of that asking price is the bucket.
^^^ agreed, price a tilt bucket for a 22 ton hoe sometime, stuff gets expensive really quick.
Thats gotta be the reason. The owner has been excellent to deal with. Old school earth moving guy, i really like him and we get along great. He is going to let me rent the Cat for a month and see how the project works out before committing long term. Can't ask for more than that! Thanks for the advice everyone. This forum kicks butt.
That sounds like a really good guy to deal with!
Definitely is. Super great guy. Very lucky to have found him. Heres a Q im embarrassed to ask. When i tested his Ex out it runs standard CAT controls, i learned the other way. In 2001 was it fairly easy to switch the controls? My old Kubota mini hoe just had a lever on the bottom of the seat.
Its easy just have to change 4 hose's I do it all the time on my EX 120 for different operators.
A BL model hoe should have a pattern changer. Not sure about a 322, but a 320 has it up between the boom and the fuel tank. Turn out a ¼" bolt, swing the lever, put bolt back in, hammer down. Nice to hear of a fellow ISO operator. Have never been able to understand why someone decided it would be a good idea to split up the bucket and stick.
Unit 1 is older, smaller, much more expensive and has 1200 extra hours. That purchase would be hard to justify. But maybe I have had better luck with Hitachi hoes than some.
B-b-b-but,.....it's a CAT! :naughty
I am with you. My mind just works with ISO better. I like the fluidity of the movements when curling and dragging. Good to know its a simple change. That was my exact thought process. I do like that the Cat is local and it comes with a very experienced instructor to help with anything we may need. Thats worth its weight in gold! Thanks everyone!
I'm the complete opposite, I find standard Cat controls easier to run then ISO, just what you get used to I guess :beatsme Although I gotta say on the older 200 series Cat excavators with the single lever in the middle for turning the tracks, it was probably easier doing a jump turn with ISO controls since you would have the boom and side swing on the same stick and hold the steering rod with the other hand. I just use my knee with Cat controls
90,000 is way to much for a 15 year old hoe imo. The 270 is close to what its worth all depends on condition. We bought a 06 zaxis 270lc-3 for just over 60,000 3 years ago. It had 9400 hours and was in good shape. Was at Ritchie's auctions in Edmonton but a local company was having a realignment as they had just bought new iron again. Same sale had a 04 270 that had been very well maintained. 8400 hours and it brought 75,000.