Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lucas CAV DPA JCB 1400b fuel inj pump cross references??

John Fitz · 2020-06-12 23:05

I have a Perkins 4.236 with a mechanical CAV FIP (model: 3241F490) which has hundreds, probably thousands, of similar clones made for decades. I realize the "timing" mark(s) on the shaft/rotor, behind the little two-screw side plate, inside the pump are very precise. Mine happens to be a "D". I don't understand the relevance of the letters but I assume there's a chart or key explaining the various letters and an explanation of their meaning. With all things being equal with two different model pumps, would those also designated with a "D" marking like mine, work on my engine? Or, are there other variables I don't know about?

Replies5
  1. #1Birken Vogt2020-06-12 23:23

    All the internal parts that control things like timing/RPM, fuel rate, fuel quantity, etc. have to be assumed to be different on a pump from a different engine.

  2. #2Delmer2020-06-12 23:35

    You'll probably get away with it if the other pump is from a similar year same engine, same governor style, ie off a tractor, not a generator. The D as far as I know is not relevant. Why are the numbers on the pump defaced? the tags I've seen that change something will xxxxx through the existing numbers, or completely obscure them, that looks intentional but not complete?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2020-06-13 04:40

    The "D" is soley for timing purposes.. When a NP is scratched out like that, there is usually 1 riveted to the mounting flange.. either the top or the side.. Get THOSE #'s to find a compatable pump.. OR sent it to me..

  4. #4John Fitz2020-06-13 09:36

    Like this one. I'm have to try everything I am capable of doing first as I am the opposite of rich. I never (rarely) attempt a critical step if I feel it's over my head and I have high definition pump schematics and non-BundyBear technical videos from the horses mouth ( The CAV Distributor Type Fuel Injection Pump Type DPA Construction & Operation ) . I've been a shade-tree mechanic since high school. I've done just about everything you can with a gasoline engine on trucks, cars, jet-ski's, mowers, generator's, etc.. If a replacement part was just too cheap to get already reconditioned I'd get it of course. However, if it was cost-prohibitive and all it needed was a few seals/o-rings/gaskets then I'd dive in. When or if I need someone of a higher pay grade, I have zero ego to admit it when I need help. And, I am very loyal to those that have taken their precious time to help me M. My primary background required years (11+ ) of analyzing peer-reviewed studies and crap-loads of other reading as well as training trainers how to teach and develop curriculum's. I was also required to develop hundreds of flow charts/algorithms. Point being, methodical thinking and patience became a well-developed asset. Hopefully, with 'patience', live video as I disassemble, lots 'o' pics, manuals, and your expert advice, I can tackle this. Finally, I also fully understand jack of all trades, master of some doesn't mean I am qualified to do this but I have to try.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2020-06-13 09:56

    Yup.. just like I said it would be.. 3241F490 is what your looking for.. How about clicking on my screen name on the left side of the page & contacting me direct..(email) I’ll see what I can do to help u out. It’s going to be a lengthy process n conversation, so no use taking up critical space.. Looking forward to hearing from you..