Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lucas Cav Fuel Injection Pump

Jason48 · 2024-09-06 18:20

This is the first time posting so bear with me. I'm not sure what seal/o ring kit I need. I have a 580 Case Backhoe and recently had a leak where the fuel injection pump connects at the back. It is also leaking where the throttle arm goes into the top housing. I have attached a picture for reference. Can anyone advise me on what pump I have and the rebuild kit I will need? Thanks in advance.

Replies12
  1. #1funwithfuel2024-09-06 19:59

    I would box it up and send it to thepumpguysc. It'll come back ready to make money.

  2. #2OzDozer2024-09-06 20:29

    Below is a link to the aftermarket pump repair kit you need - but be aware that fuel injection pumps are complex construction devices with extremely fine operating clearances, and you need to have some experience with repairing them, to understand how they operate and come apart and go back together - plus a manual to assist you with the repair. There are often many little repair "tricks" or "gotcha's" to these pumps that you need to be aware of. For CAV DPA Rebuilt Kit Lucas Diesel Injection Pump For MF Ford John Deere CASE | eBay This is the gasket/seal kit needed to fix throttle/cut-off shaft leaks, or any other fuel pump leak. CAV/Lucas DPA Rotary Fuel Injector Pump Repair Kit. ⚙OEM Part Numbers. Item Condition: New. www.ebay.com The Lucas CAV DPA injection pump is a rotary design pump, and as such, these style of pumps have an increased tendency for wear, and a shorter lifespan overall, simply due to their cheap design - as compared to the "Bosch-style", inline injection pumps. Here is the parts breakdown of the Lucas CAV DPA injection pump - Lucas CAV DPA Fuel Injection Pump Exploded Parts Diagram at Stationary Engine Parts Ltd Lucas CAV DPA Fuel Injection Pump Exploded Parts Diagram www.stationaryengineparts.com

  3. #3thepumpguysc2024-09-07 06:50

    Kit # is 7135-110

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-09-07 09:54

    That pump takes 2 front seals.. which are NOT in the kit. If you’re going to change them, the p# is 5393-252R..(2) Also, they go in, in different configurations, both in, back to back, both out.. SO PAY ATTENTION on how they come out.!!

  5. #5Jason482024-09-07 09:56

    Thank you for the help. The backhoe has been running well but noticed the two leaks and decided to replace the defective o rings. We had already removed the o rings that are leaking without dissembling the whole pump and only planned on replacing them. If there are more issues after replacing these o rings, I will need to get in touch with thepumpguy. Onces again thank you guys for your help

  6. #6thepumpguysc2024-09-07 10:06

    U say the throttle or shut off is leaking.. Take some Scotch brite and run it thru the bore.. does it have any gouge marks in the bore, where dirt had gotten between the orings and aluminum bore.? If yes, new orings may or may not seal the shafts..

  7. #7Jason482024-09-07 10:20

    The throttle started awhile before the back of the pump leak. We had put a temporary rubber washer on top of the shaft, and it stopped the leak. I figured since I was replacing the one o ring I should go ahead and fix the throttle leak. I will have to go back check the bore. Thank you for the advice.

  8. #8materthegreater2024-09-07 11:59

    When you say "front" seals what area of the pump are you referring to? Toward the front of the tractor, or front being the side you see in the picture?

  9. #9Jason482024-09-07 12:08

    Thepumpguy was referring to the front seals. My intention was to just replace the back o ring and throttle o ring. The back o ring is circled in blue in the attached picture at the beginning of the thread.

  10. #10materthegreater2024-09-07 12:27

    Front being input shaft? Mine had a leaking input shaft seal so it slowly filled the crankcase with fuel. So I had no choice but to remove the pump and replace all the seals.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2024-09-07 13:49

    Lemme tell you guys.. Anybody in “the inj pump biz” WILL NOT do a patch job on this type pump.. If 1 seal goes, the rest are short lived and you end up chasing leaks.. I tell all my people, when they say, it’s just leaking here.. “How many times do you want to pay me to take this off and put it back on ??”.. I’m not saying u guys are wasting your time.. sometimes u do whatcha gotta do.. & it’ll probably work.. But if I’m warranting the job, it’s coming all the way down & normal wear items replaced.

  12. #12materthegreater2024-09-07 13:57

    What are the normal wear items other than seals?