Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lug nuts got loose

ctkiteboarding ยท 2011-07-28 19:03

seems the lug nuts were not tightened and they got loose, the rim has damage now and i cant keep them tight , any suggestions other then new rim? they are tapered already, so that's out

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042011-07-29 00:16

    http://www.gemplers.com/product/80E19/8-Hole-Reinforcing-Ring

  2. #2frogfarmer2011-07-29 18:18

    Heavy washers the size of the studs. Put the wheel on then the washers and torque the nuts down. Weld the washers in place and the wheel will be servicable. Used wheels are reasonable in price and may be the easiest choice.

  3. #3icestationzebra2011-08-01 21:52

    The other issue is that if you have been running with a damaged rim the studs should probably be replaced. As the holes get wallowed out the studs take a beating and get fatigued. We used to have this problem with our old Gehl skid steer. And when (not if) you get a new wheel you should replace the nuts. ISZ

  4. #4xcmark2011-08-02 17:37

    A picture of the rim with the lug nut off and held in the photo so I can see if they are the correct set to run would be a big help in getting good advice.

  5. #5Komatsu 1502011-08-02 22:12

    I finally started having my guys always use a torque wrench on skidloader as the spec is much higher than you expect compared to say a truck lug - 250 ft. lbs. on our Bobcat.

  6. #6ctkiteboarding2011-08-06 20:16

    thanks for the input:usa I ordered a new rim ,, going to ck the torque on the others,,, 250ft/lbs seems high , all ive ever done is impact them with the 3/4 drive and never had issues, this is a 2007 with 180hrs ,machine is new to me 15 hrs ago, any idea what case calls for on the torque???? :drinkup

  7. #7Gacoustic2011-08-15 22:03

    I had this happen, I ended up re threading the existing studs and re drilled the rim holes a bit larger. Then I drilled a taper with a larger bit and simply bought larger O/S diameter lug nuts. Totally fixed the problem and they seem to stay tight.

  8. #8Komatsu 1502011-08-26 07:47

    I just happened to run across the torque spec yesterday and my memory was faulty. Actual spec was 270 to 320 ft. lbs. I know hard to believe. This is on our old Bobcat 953 which has 17" wheels.

  9. #9CRAFT2011-08-26 12:40

    huh ?

  10. #10mitch5042011-08-26 14:54

    think he means he has only put 15 operating hours on it.

  11. #11miro2011-08-26 15:15

    If you've been putting the studs on with a 3/4 gun, you've probably stretched the studs, they should be replaces because they'll keep stretching until they break.